Battery life on new S3 not so good

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
New battery is definitely better. 12 hours later of moderate usage and wifi on all day as well, Its now at 22%. Im now a happy camper :D

Edit: battery charges a lot faster now too. Glad I got it exchanged before it was too late. Thanks guys!!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
We don't ha've LTE at where I live yet and my battery is already draining. Looks like gonna have to exchange this battery before its too late.

have you switched the phone to use 3g and not 4g then mate?
think the app is called "phone info"? that can switch 4g off

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
No, I only have the option for either 4G only or 4G and LTE. I'm using 4G only now and I'm happy with the speeds. Don't think I'll be using LTE mainly because I don't care for speeds that fast and also to save on battery life.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
tbh true 4g and LTE are the same thing mate. some US networks tried to call HSPA+ 4g when in fact its 3g. if your 4g/lte signal is weak then change to 3p (H or H+) to save battery ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
tbh true 4g and LTE are the same thing mate. some US networks tried to call HSPA+ 4g when in fact its 3g. if your 4g/lte signal is weak then change to 3p (H or H+) to save battery ;)

Actually it's not. On 4G aka HSPA+, I get about 8Mbps and on LTE its been proven to go to speeds of about 20+Mbps. I know LTE isnt available in the UK yet so I understand your confusion between 4G and 4G LTE.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
My brand new S3 battery simply died down on me some time back. Refused to charge up even i charge it overnight. This symptom was on and off. Was really helpless as i depend on my handphone heavily. Decided to return to dealer to rectify the prob. Now its doing fine after updating the software. so far so good. i hope.

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
New problem, I can't get Odin to open on my laptop. It's running windows 7 ultimate and every time I try to open it I get an error message "Odin3 ***" after extracting the folder, I moved the .exe file to the desktop only. Could that be why it's not opening? And I reinstalled the phones drivers so I don't think that's the problem but i could be wrong of course.

BarneyC

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
What fixed my problem with battery life, was to go to Settings/WiFi/Advanced and change the 'Keep WiFi on During Sleep' setting to 'Never'.

Hope this helps

Barney

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Actually it's not. On 4G aka HSPA+, I get about 8Mbps and on LTE its been proven to go to speeds of about 20+Mbps. I know LTE isnt available in the UK yet so I understand your confusion between 4G and 4G LTE.

trust me mate, some US carriers decided to call HSPC+ "4g" because it makes it sound better but LTE is true fourth generation mobile data.
someone back me up here please lol :)
the UK is about to start rolling out 4g... HSPA+ has been here for ages.
the only difference is that we use the term "4g" instead of LTE but they are the same thing, much faster than hspa+ which is a version of 3g ;)

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
trust me mate, some US carriers decided to call HSPC+ "4g" because it makes it sound better but LTE is true fourth generation mobile data.
someone back me up here please lol :)
the UK is about to start rolling out 4g... HSPA+ has been here for ages.
the only difference is that we use the term "4g" instead of LTE but they are the same thing, much faster than hspa+ which is a version of 3g ;)

Lol yes you're right, 4G is 3G but it just sounds better for marketing. Even though 4G is a marketing gimmick and not true 4G, it does sound better than the 3G which is now considered old school lol.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
lol THANK YOU! :)
us on the other side of the atlantic arent so backward and dumb :p

bonanzabucks

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I've had my phone for about a week and the battery life seems so-so. I am not rooted or anything and I don't have any of those battery saving apps like I did on my previous android devices. My phone seems fine with WiFi, but it's when the WiFi is off that it drains battery a lot, even in sleep mode. I understand that WiFi uses less battery, but I don't think it should make that much of a difference when your phone is sleeping and your not using it. Usually, my battery stats say that cell standby is using the most battery. Not sure why since I live in an area with good cell reception. Any suggestions?

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
7 hours of heavy usage, Brightness at 20% (auto dim and power saving mode both off), WiFi and 4G both on, GPS on, and push email notifications and weather all sync hourly, I'm now at 38% . My old iPhone would've died long ago with this amount of heavy usage. And with JB update on its way, battery life and performance will get much better. Very happy with my GS3 so far :)

jgatorego

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Which Android version are you using? From 4.0.4 (and also in Jelly Bean) there is a very significant improvement in battery life. I would suggest (including the typical kill apps) to upgrade to the latest android versions.

Good luck!

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I was in a meeting all day. May have looked at my phone 4 times. Battery In yellow from 6am to 2pm. This sucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

luqman24

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
So letting the battery settle for a few weeks did help. I'm now getting around 14-17 hours with moderate usage and 8-10 hours with heavy usage (with everything on including Power Saving mode). Unplugged it yesterday at 7:30am and I had 30% left at 3am. Very happy with the results so far. What a beast of a phone this is once everything is working fine :)

JeniferF

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
that makes it sound like you have a few apps that stay on and frequently try to log on to check for updates, posts, etc. See what happens if you turn all your push apps (news,.email, Facebook, Twitter, forums, etc.--see what happens if you change their settings to manual.

By doing this, does this mean that when I hit the icon on the screen it WILL open up...I know that may sound like a stupid question, but Im so afraid of disableing something and not knoiwing how to fix it.

Also, your phone isn't really off. It's asleep. The only way to turn off your phone is to power it down. Hold the on-off button down until you get the message that the phone is shutting down. That's another way to keep your phone from polling all of your push apps without resetting everything.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

rteichman

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
So this is my second day rocking my S3 and so far not happy with the battery life. 5 hours and a half later my battery is at 34% with brightness turned down to 30%. Is that normal because I hope not!!
I too am not happy with the power consumption. Luckily, most of the time I am by a power supply, but there are times when I need it to run a whole day. I also get only about 5 hours before I am at 30%. That is with moderate usage, following the advice of most people on here. I should note that under similar usage pattern my iPhone 4s would be at 70% or more. Granted the phones beeps and vibrates more (I guess I could change those settings), but I'm not really using it much. The part that gets me is that it says cell standby is consuming 32% and display 32%. I can understand display at 32% (well not really because I am not on it that much), but why is cell standby so high?

rteichman

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
OK, I just noticed that Gallery is consuming a lot too. However, I have not even opened Gallery. I viewed a bunch of pictures on an e-mail, last night, but that's it and then I charged it overnight. Today I didn't look at any pictures. Even though I force stop it in Battery, every time I go back to battery it is running again. I went through my gmail accounts and unchecked sync images, picasa, etc. Any other ideas?

Tom A PDX

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
My wife and i just got 2 identical s3's and here is running out of juice in half a day- and mine runs fine all day long-
also- hers is running apps by ityself factory preloaded and already run up 2100 kb of data, mine, with almost identical use- 16kb
send the phone back and make them replace it- some are defective!

:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae