01-16-2013 12:23 PM
60 123
tools
    So this is my second day rocking my S3 and so far not happy with the battery life. 5 hours and a half later my battery is at 34% with brightness turned down to 30%. Is that normal because I hope not!!
    09-18-2012 12:35 PM
    Enable power saving mode

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    09-18-2012 12:48 PM
    What have you been doing? I get a full day out of mine consistently even under fairly heavy use (I have hundreds of work emails so I am on it often). Unless I am playing games for hours my battery has always been solid.

Heck I can get 2 days + out of it on weekends occasionally.

Also this is without power save mode on...I am sure if I turn that on I could go much longer.
    09-18-2012 12:48 PM
    So this is my second day rocking my S3 and so far not happy with the battery life. 5 hours and a half later my battery is at 34% with brightness turned down to 30%. Is that normal because I hope not!!
    You're either using the phone extremely heavily and/or you have a bad phone and/or bad battery.
    09-18-2012 12:51 PM
    In my experience there was a break-in period for battery life of a few days. The first day was horrendous. Part of the problem is spending more time with a new device figuring it out. I'd recommend you review options and turn off anything that you don't think you'll use (i.e. NFC, motion controls, etc.). Definitely turn off GPS when not in use.

Easy Battery Saver and Juice Defender are apps that can help out a bit too. They can save some power by turning off data/wifi when the screen is off and turn them on at preset intervals to check for data.
    09-18-2012 12:54 PM
    All I was doing was browsing the web, a bit of Twitter and facebook and that's pretty much it. I was mostly doing browsing. No gaming, watch videos, buta little bit of listening to music as well. It's because that the battery is new and that I had to let it drain completely first?
    09-18-2012 12:54 PM
    1.Settings> Application Manager (You can disable a few apps that you dont use like S-Voice and others)
    2. Settings>Developer Options > Window/Transition animation scale to lower or off settings help battery.
    3. Settings>Power saving - ON
    4. Settings>Display > Brightness lower
    5. Settings>Display > Screen Timeout faster
    6. Settings>Display> Smart stay - OFF (I turned this off because it wasn't that needed and didn't always sense my eyes)
    7. Settings> Sounds> Auto Haptic- OFF
    *8. After you finish a applicaton close it by holding down the home button and pressing remove all or u can just swipe off which applications u want.

I did this.and usually it last me about 14-24hrs on the whole battery.
    09-18-2012 01:00 PM
    I've done all that and it's still draining 1% every 2-3 minutes. Does installing a mod help fix this problem?
    09-18-2012 01:15 PM
    I think the battery life on mine is great. I easily get a full day out of my phone.

I would check to make sure you don't have an app that is draining your battery. I updated Google+ to try it, but it's not something I normally use. It turns out it was running on my phone and it killed the battery life. I uninistalled the udpated and disabled it and didn't have a problem.
    09-18-2012 01:40 PM
    I always close everything so I don't think it's the apps. I'll give it a few days so the battery can settle in and if not I'll report back.

---------- Post Merged at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Btw I'm running stock 4.0.4 and I'm not sure if the problem is with this update.
    09-18-2012 01:58 PM
    And it's also draining while my phone is off too.
    09-18-2012 02:00 PM
    that makes it sound like you have a few apps that stay on and frequently try to log on to check for updates, posts, etc. See what happens if you turn all your push apps (news,.email, Facebook, Twitter, forums, etc.--see what happens if you change their settings to manual.

If you've tried all the other suggestions and this one, and none of them have helped, then you have a defective battery.

Also, your phone isn't really off. It's asleep. The only way to turn off your phone is to power it down. Hold the on-off button down until you get the message that the phone is shutting down. That's another way to keep your phone from polling all of your push apps without resetting everything.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    09-18-2012 02:18 PM
    I plan on buying some spare battery's soon

On my Samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.0

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens
    09-18-2012 03:32 PM
    What is eating your battery mostly? Go check is system settings and then battery when you get low and you can see how much battery each app is eating up.

Post back with screen shots.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    09-18-2012 03:32 PM
    Weather, email, social media, news apps, etc. that refresh themselves can eat your battery. If you're running any of these apps, you should either reduce the refresh frequency or set them to update manually. Juice Defender helps because it seems to keep background processing to a minimum while you're not using the phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    09-18-2012 04:00 PM
    What is eating your battery mostly? Go check is system settings and then battery when you get low and you can see how much battery each app is eating up.

Post back with screen shots.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Screen is at 36%, android system at 14%, Cell standby at 14%, and everything else is under 6%.
    09-18-2012 04:04 PM
    have you cycled your battery? as in from 100% full charge use the phone until it completely dies. Ive heard on here that that helps. I noticed a good change in battery once i started to disable things I didn't use. Where in Canada are you from?
    09-18-2012 04:20 PM
    This just sounds like something is defective. I would return and exchange it right away. You shouldn't have to shut off all of the features that make the phone such a nice tool in the first place. I typically get a full day of moderate use with everything on; wifi, 4g, gps, sync, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-18-2012 04:47 PM
    mine does the same thing if i'm in an area with poor cellular service. my home area doesn't have lte so i set mine to just cdma. That doubled the life of the battery. If i go into an area with 4g i just turn it back on. also dimming the screen, turning off gps, and using wifi when it's available all extend the battery life on my phone. i don't use the power saving setting or any apps to save power and i usually just charge overnight not during the day.
    09-18-2012 05:56 PM
    Ok so I think I figured out the problem, it was probably the WiFi connection that was so weak at my college and kept disconnecting all day. It's much better now. 2 hours and half later I've only lost 15% while streaming the radio over 4G the whole time too. I guess the weaker the signal the more battery it drains.
    funkylogik likes this.
    09-18-2012 07:49 PM
    Ok so I think I figured out the problem, it was probably the WiFi connection that was so weak at my college and kept disconnecting all day. It's much better now. 2 hours and half later I've only lost 15% while streaming the radio over 4G the whole time too. I guess the weaker the signal the more battery it drains.
    Defintely. The weaker the signal the sensor uses more power to try to stay connected to the connection. I have wifi throughout my college also, and half the time it does not connect if I moved around a bit. I always have wifi on. I start off at full charge at 7am, and now its almost 8pm and I still have 78% battery left. I'm still using the OEM battery. I browse the appstore a few minutes a day, read news for 2-3 hours in separate times.

These are the things I do to save battery.

-Leave Power Saving on unless playing games
    -Turn off the backlights of the capacitive buttons
    -Turn off tactile feedback
    -Turn off sound/noise when I touch the screen
    -Only let my emails sync automatically (1 hour intervals)
    -Only two widgets (weather, FlipBoard)
    -Don't sync/update weather or FlipBoard automatically.
    -Make sure you don't have any apps that run in the background
    -Leave bluetooth off

You can try turning off your wifi in places where your connections are weak. I keep my screen brightness on automatic, but you can always turn it down completely when indoors. My screen is set to go to sleep in 10 or 30 seconds.

Basically every setting that might save battey is set on, unless I need to use it.
    luqman24 and sfrrr like this.
    09-18-2012 08:11 PM
    So I stopped using WiFi all together (till Jelly Bean drops officially) because the signal is very weak at my college and in my room at home for some odd reason and my 4G signal is a lot better and stronger. Saved me alot of juice!
    09-19-2012 09:09 AM
    Mine seems great! No issues for me. I get about 16+ hours without another charge most days. Do you live in an area where the connection is spotty? That is the only thing that I can think of.
    09-19-2012 09:16 AM
    Mine seems great! No issues for me. I get about 16+ hours without another charge most days. Do you live in an area where the connection is spotty? That is the only thing that I can think of.
    Nope. I live in the city so the coverage is really good. Have 4-5 bars most of the time.
    09-19-2012 11:15 AM
    Do you have a verizon wireless store nearby? If so, stop by there. They can test the battery and let you know if it's defective.
    09-19-2012 11:49 AM
60 123