05-09-2013 10:40 PM
74 123
tools
    First thing I thought of was that iphone5 vs. GS3 drop test. The plastic is more resistant but the GS3's glass goes to the edge, so it doesn't offer as much protection as older phones did w/ bigger bezels. I have a padded case on mine :-)

And ditto the battery replacement...that's a huge reason why the back is plastic unless they want to put screws in...
    09-27-2012 10:10 AM
    back of mine is all scratched and i dont care but it just proves how good the glass is coz its flawless

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    Even when it gets scratched to hell just spend the $5 and you have a brand new back piece. Can't do that with that iphone...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    funkylogik likes this.
    09-27-2012 02:00 PM
    Even when it gets scratched to hell just spend the $5 and you have a brand new back piece. Can't do that with that iphone...

Where do you buy replacement back covers?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    09-27-2012 02:14 PM

true but the back really doesnt bother me lol i dont have to look at it. stuck a decalgirl skin on it though just because it came with the front one The CHEAP Plastic on the Galaxy S3-uploadfromtaptalk1348773675430.jpg

anyone know what the camera lens cover is made of btw? wouldnt fancy getn a deep scratch on that!

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    09-27-2012 03:22 PM
    Where do you buy replacement back covers?

I saw them on Verizons website, was $8 without discount.

09-28-2012 12:58 AM
    I've been saying this for years. Polycarbonates, high quality plastics, and gorilla glass found on your typical Android phone is actually more damage resistant than the glass/aluminum on the iPhone. Flexible plastics and polycarbs are much better at absorbing/distributing impact energy away from the fragile screen and preventing screen shatters when you drop your phone. Thusly, "cheap plastic" phones are actually superior. It's the perfect example of how uninformed consumers and biased reviewers don't know what is or isn't good.
    The iphone has had gorilla glass since it was introduced. It was the first mobile device to have it.

Stean Kruger likes this.
    09-28-2012 03:57 AM
    Please tell me you guys are joking! Are crazy? Plastic is cheap rubbish and it feels cheap. We life in modern world now, where glass are timeless elegant and stylish. Maybe the prob is that you guys want a iPhone 5 but can't afford it???

Hhahahahaha i mean really. Plastic? Over Alumium and glass? It is hillarious actually. Fact is, any phone will be damage if dropped, even the plastic samsung. If you own a iPhone 5 you can afford insurance and have it replaced in no time. So I really don't get where you are going with this...
    03-20-2013 06:16 AM
    Please tell me you guys are joking! Are crazy? Plastic is cheap rubbish and it feels cheap. We life in modern world now, where glass are timeless elegant and stylish. Maybe the prob is that you guys want a iPhone 5 but can't afford it???

Hhahahahaha i mean really. Plastic? Over Alumium and glass? It is hillarious actually. Fact is, any phone will be damage if dropped, even the plastic samsung. If you own a iPhone 5 you can afford insurance and have it replaced in no time. So I really don't get where you are going with this...
    The plastic on the s3 is fine. Dropped it plenty of times with no damage. Aluminum will damage allot easier then the plastic on the s3.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    comshock25 likes this.
    03-20-2013 06:27 AM
    The metal being better than plastic perception is right there with more megapixels making for a better camera.
    03-20-2013 07:55 AM
    The metal being better than plastic perception is right there with more megapixels making for a better camera.
    Amen to that

03-20-2013 08:04 AM
    It's the BMW phenomenon. People pay a 50% premium for a car that's less reliable than a Honda so they can park it in the driveway and let all the neighbors know they have money and class.

But give the iPhone and HTC crowds a break. They know the S3 is functionally superior, so they need something to hang their egos on to.
    03-20-2013 09:52 AM

I think this is the dumbest thing that i heard all morning.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    03-20-2013 11:00 AM

Plastic, lets the RF in and out.
    Metal, shields the RF.

What ***** would wrap an RF device in metal and expect it to work well.
    Google antennagate.
    03-20-2013 11:09 AM

What kind of idiotic assumption is that? The iPhone 5s insurance price and deductible is the same price as other flagship devices. If I drop my dna and kill it, ill be without a phone for weeks/ months until the extra leeway in our budget is enough to purchase the replacement. That's how it is with normal people. Just because they sprung the 299 on contract fir an iPhone doesnt mean they have anymore money at their disposal than someone who chose to spring the 299 for a note 2. Glass is timeless? It is one of the easiest shattered substances in this world. Google "how do I replace the" and the first searches that pop up pertain to replacing broken glass on iProducts. I'm going to buy something for its functionability and purpose, not its appearance. As for you, enjoy owning a device that defeats its purpose by constantly having to order replacements, or doesn't serve its purpose because signal is being blocked by a thin aluminum casing that will dint and scratch the first time you put it in your pocket with your keys. Search eBay/craigslist for used iPods/iPhone's before the glass generation. nearly all of them are dinged up and scratched unless they were slapped with a case ans screen protector upon purchase. Now how far does that premium feel in your hand get you. And ftr, I'm not an apple hater at all. Just a hater of stupid assumptions.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA
    03-20-2013 11:34 AM

Paying for phone company insurance has got to be one of the stupidest financial decisions you can make, unless you're accident prone. Between the deductible and one year's premium, you've just about paid for a new phone. But I guess iPhone buyers have more money to burn that the rest of us. Why else would they buy into Steve Job's overpriced, style-first ethos?
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    03-21-2013 12:36 PM
    Plastic, lets the RF in and out.
    Metal, shields the RF.
    This.
    03-23-2013 11:44 PM
    When was the last time you saw an aluminum bumper on a car? Never, you say? I wonder why that is. Probably because plastic flexes and recovers, while aluminum would dent, at best, and crack, at worst.
    03-23-2013 11:46 PM
    I'm amused when I see iPhone users brag about their phone having a premium feel, yet turn around and put it in a plastic or rubberized case.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk
    03-24-2013 10:07 AM
    Troll alert!!

please tell me you guys are joking! Are crazy? Plastic is cheap rubbish and it feels cheap. We life in modern world now, where glass are timeless elegant and stylish. Maybe the prob is that you guys want a iphone 5 but can't afford it???

Hhahahahaha i mean really. Plastic? Over alumium and glass? It is hillarious actually. Fact is, any phone will be damage if dropped, even the plastic samsung. If you own a iphone 5 you can afford insurance and have it replaced in no time. So i really don't get where you are going with this...
    03-24-2013 01:45 PM
    I'm a former iphone user and do prefer the premium feel of the iphone. I can't count the number of times I dropped my iphone out my lap getting out my car. No damage. I drop my gs3 and the phone, back cover, and the battery all go in different directions, but also...no damage.

Although my GS3 does feel cheaper in comparison its not a deal breaker. Im enjoying trying it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    03-24-2013 02:09 PM
    I don't know if its been mentioned before,

But you can buy a replacement battery door, made of every material you can think of from ebay for something in the neighborhood of $1 to $3.

Aluminum: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/706-53...2F310420008483
    Leather: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/706-53...2F290756286845
    Chrome: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/706-53...2F251120090520

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk 2
    LaBellaGP likes this.
    03-24-2013 08:10 PM
    I read the reviews of some of the aluminum back panels on Amazon, and saw multiple comments that said they interfered with the antennas, and significantly reduced signal strength. Not a good thing. Chrome over plastic might have a similar effect. Leather should be fine, though. Or maybe not. The description says "leather and metal." If it's a thin layer of leather over a metal panel, it would likely interfere with the signal, too.
    03-24-2013 09:18 PM
    I would rather have a soft plastic case than a metal phone. The plastic is more damage resistant and I keep my phone in a silicone case all the time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    03-24-2013 09:47 PM
    What's wrong with plastic? It's durable, cheap to make... There is crap plastic and there is high quality plastic. As long as it's the latter, fine by me. I would rather have a plastic body that holds up to abuse than some delicate piece of art that scratched if you so much as looked at it the wrong way.

Considering that everyone... HTC, Samsung, Apple, you name it, all have a price point to hit with their phones, so every penny spent on some elaborate sub-micron tolerance alloy case is a penny they DIDN'T spend on the inside.
    03-24-2013 10:28 PM
    What's wrong with plastic? It's durable, cheap to make... There is crap plastic and there is high quality plastic. As long as it's the latter, fine by me. I would rather have a plastic body that holds up to abuse than some delicate piece of art that scratched if you so much as looked at it the wrong way.
    The problem isn't the plastic, it's just alot of people are so narrowminded that when they see plastic, they automatically think it's cheap quality. They ignore the benefits of it over metal because of something as misleading as the feeling.
    03-25-2013 10:35 AM
74 123