09-21-2012 03:52 PM
127 1234 ...
tools
    Even the most UN-techy person can use Android. My mother-in-law recently got a S2 Skyrocket and gets around on it just fine. Granted she cant do some things because she doesn't know how but she will get the hang of it.
    Perhaps your mother in law is the rule to the exception but the majority of technically inclined people can't manage an android phone. That means, if it slows down or "doesn't work", they have no idea what to do or how to fix it. Does your mother in law know how to get to the task manager?! If not, show her and then ask her 1 week later if she knows, lol! I have family members that won't remember anything even as I show them!
    09-20-2012 06:59 AM
    Even the most UN-techy person can use Android. My mother-in-law recently got a S2 Skyrocket and gets around on it just fine. Granted she cant do some things because she doesn't know how but she will get the hang of it.
    There are some people who can't do anything either. Have a friend who can't figure out his iPad so he's asked me to help show him stuff. All depends on the individual.
    09-20-2012 07:15 AM
    For me it's the fan boys, especially here in philly it's terrible. Ppl always say that big dum s3 not even compares to a iphone, them I say explain they just say apple just great smh

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    09-20-2012 07:24 AM
    I have nothing nothing against most iOS users, however there are those that have blind loyalty that will buy anything Apple sight unseen. That kind of person gets on my nerves. The thing that gets on my nerves the most is the iOS bias media! "Wow the iPhone 5 has the ability to take a panorama picture! How innovative..." --seriously?!! "Oooh, the iPhone 5 has a larger screen! That's creative..." ---Huh??!! "The iPhone 4S has a notification pull down bar! Why can't other phones do that?" ---What rock have you been living under??!!
    Mind you all of those are creative examples, but they have been modeled by articles I have read in the past. I mean I open up Flipboard and am inundated with iPhone 5 articles touting how wonderful, innovative, creative, beautiful, powerful, snappy, and superior that piece of machinery is. I HATE IT!!!
    evq.003 likes this.
    09-20-2012 07:45 AM
    *WARNING LONG RANT AHEAD!*

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I was using Apple products long before any iOS device was ever in the rumor mill. Mac Pro's, Mac Mini, and MacBook Pro were normal in my family. Their desktop OS is solid as a rock, and at the time(for me it still does) offered an excellent alternative to those that didn't want the clutter of a Windows machine. Then in 2007 out comes the iPhone. Say what you will, and within the context of these forums, I know a lot of users are still in denial. But the original iPhone spawned the birth of some really great mobile OS's to come. Apple managed to bankrupt Palm even after their CEO Ed Collagen said ("Pc guys aren't going to just figure it out, they're not going to just walk right in"), They're close to putting RIM into bankruptcy, and they've forced Microsoft to completely rethink their mobile strategy. They've even inspired Google to rethink their initial strategy(no need to elaborate we've all seen the Android prototypes), and create some really great mobile as well.

With all of that being said, it comes down to customer satisfaction, and the iPhone ranks #1 every single time. Why would someone who ranks their experience with the iPhone as "satisfied, or completely satisfied" be tempted to switch, or even consider switching mobile OS's? It simply doesn't make sense. Just because someone is happy with their choice in mobile doesn't automatically make them a fanboy. The general public isn't sitting behind their tablets, and pc's typing away at tech forums like we are. They want simplicity, like Steve Jobs famously said, they don't want to be the systems integrator. They wan't a smartphone that just works, and for many the iPhone does just that. Android has proven to be a viable alternative for a few different groups of people. The people that originally didn't have access to the iPhone, and chose Android because it was like the iPhone, and the only alternative they had access to. The tech geeks like many here that wanted to hack, and tinker with their phones, and wanted full customization. And lastly, the people like myself that mainly wanted to try something different, and felt like with ICS Android was finally on par with iOS.

Regardless, you can't hate on anyone for their choice of smartphone simply because their choice is different than yours. I was a diehard iPhone user since day 1, and still am a diehard Apple user, but I chose to switch to the dark side with the Galaxy S III. I did my homework, and so far have no regrets making the switch. I love tech of all kinds, and I feel like I am a little more open minded than most people sitting on either side of the smartphone fence. /RANT
    09-20-2012 07:50 AM
    *WARNING LONG RANT AHEAD!*

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I was using Apple products long before any iOS device was ever in the rumor mill. Mac Pro's, Mac Mini, and MacBook Pro were normal in my family. Their desktop OS is solid as a rock, and at the time(for me it still does) offered an excellent alternative to those that didn't want the clutter of a Windows machine. Then in 2007 out comes the iPhone. Say what you will, and within the context of these forums, I know a lot of users are still in denial. But the original iPhone spawned the birth of some really great mobile OS's to come. Apple managed to bankrupt Palm even after their CEO Ed Collagen said ("Pc guys aren't going to just figure it out, they're not going to just walk right in"), They're close to putting RIM into bankruptcy, and they've forced Microsoft to completely rethink their mobile strategy. They've even inspired Google to rethink their initial strategy(no need to elaborate we've all seen the Android prototypes), and create some really great mobile as well.

With all of that being said, it comes down to customer satisfaction, and the iPhone ranks #1 every single time. Why would someone who ranks their experience with the iPhone as "satisfied, or completely satisfied" be tempted to switch, or even consider switching mobile OS's? It simply doesn't make sense. Just because someone is happy with their choice in mobile doesn't automatically make them a fanboy. The general public isn't sitting behind their tablets, and pc's typing away at tech forums like we are. They want simplicity, like Steve Jobs famously said, they don't want to be the systems integrator. They wan't a smartphone that just works, and for many the iPhone does just that. Android has proven to be a viable alternative for a few different groups of people. The people that originally didn't have access to the iPhone, and chose Android because it was like the iPhone, and the only alternative they had access to. The tech geeks like many here that wanted to hack, and tinker with their phones, and wanted full customization. And lastly, the people like myself that mainly wanted to try something different, and felt like with ICS Android was finally on par with iOS.

Regardless, you can't hate on anyone for their choice of smartphone simply because their choice is different than yours. I was a diehard iPhone user since day 1, and still am a diehard Apple user, but I chose to switch to the dark side with the Galaxy S III. I did my homework, and so far have no regrets making the switch. I love tech of all kinds, and I feel like I am a little more open minded than most people sitting on either side of the smartphone fence. /RANT
    Very well said. I completely agree.
    XChrisX likes this.
    09-20-2012 08:44 AM
    thats all pretty true although i moved from symbian to android not because i couldnt have an iphone but that "open source" fascinated me
    i dont hate iphone fans but i think that people with "blind faith" are the root of most evil.
    i know its just business but i hate apple holding back other companies, they should all learn from eachother instead of sue (adding more price to all our devices) and the patent laws are outdated and rediculous imo

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess
    09-20-2012 10:23 AM
    ---------- Post Merged at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Reading through a lot of forums, and postings I have noticed a common trend. Many people (myself included) simply do not like the practices of Apple as a company. This would be a fair and accurate statement. But the animosity towards such a company would not normally be warranted unless they as a company had personally done something to you or one of your beloved devices, this statement could probably also be considered fair and accurate (I would assume from experience). This leaves us with their loyal fans, a.k.a. "fan-boys." Yes this is where I hold the most disgust, with them as a company. The mindless droves that line up to buy the new iphone 5 simply because it is an apple product. Lets be honest, the iphone 5 I am sure is a great phone, probably can not deny that given apple's history of products. Yes apple does make excellent products, its their tight grip and control over their products that most android users can not stand.

I must admit I hate the fan-boys more than apple itself. As I said I am sure the iphone 5 is a great phone, but it honestly is not that big of an improvement over the 4s, it really isn't. Yet droves of loyal fans line up and sell the phone out in a matter of hours, crash web sites with online ordering, and go on and on about getting one. Yes, is it fair to ask you readers of Android central that your number one reason for not liking apple, is because of the way their customer base behaves? It is my number one reason, I can not count the number of times I have heard people talking about their devices and make totally false statements. I am in the tech field (full time student Networking Systems Administrator) I keep up on all techy stuff because I love too, it fascinates me. Even my own brother (a huge apple fan) admits part of his like for apple's products is he feels that owning one is a status symbol. A way of saying "I can afford ridiculously expensive things."

So Android Central readers, this is not an apple bashing thread (or discussion on apple vs. android), I would just simply like to know, is it the fans (loyal customers of apple) that drive you so crazy?
    Thanks for choosing to speak on behalf of "most android owners" regarding what they hate about Apple and then ask them what they think. Rather than address your "suspension of disbelief" thread questions that are loaded with stuff such as "this is not bashing" but then state "why you hate Apple," I feel obliged to point out the obvious/posit some alternative questions:

1) Why do you find it essential to initiate a why I hate Apple q&a thread in a forum for a specific Android device?
    2) Why is it impossible to see that "fanboyism" is something that exists for Android as well?
    3) Why is it impossible (again) for Android fanboys to see that they engage in the same status BS as Apple fanboys?
    4) Has it ever occurred to you that the reason many Android owners change devices rather quickly is because Android devices flood the market and owners are looking for the next big thing (i.e., a status symbol)?
    5) Did you ever notice the tone of contemptuousness and arrogance among Android fanboys when they spew about how superior it is to be able to customize ROMs, change skins, etc., etc., etc.., implying the users of other devices are somehow less clever or sophisticated?
    6) As a follow-up to 5, are Android fanboys even aware that the vast majority of Android owners have never considered a customized ROM and don't even know what that means and never do more than download apps on a stock OEM device interface?
    7) Did you notice that you advertise yourself has having the two "top of the line" Android devices?
    8) How does 7 make you different from someone standing in line for the next iPhone?

For reference, all of the questions are posited to demonstrate what is wrong with distilling anyone's choices down to stereotypes. The last two also demonstrate how easy it is to flip stereotypes around. As a society we need to drop pubescent male style posturing about mine being superior to (i.e., bigger than) yours. As a suggestion to all fanboys of all devices, use your device of choice; let others do the same; communicate in a device forum to get help or actually discuss the device; and pay attention to the fact that there are more important issues in this world about which one might want to expend energy. Perhaps you might also want to download a clip from the 9/19 edition of the Daily Show that flips back and forth between idiots in the audience at the two political conventions spewing identical BS about the "other side." You might then consider comparing your statement about "why you hate Apple fanboys" to the rest of your argument in which you play Android fanboy.

Clearing the air while sitting in a diesel (or even a new SUV) spewing pollution really has an unique level of irony....
    g1toevo678 and monkeyluis like this.
    09-20-2012 12:16 PM
    I have nothing against Apple users. I actually recommend certain people to Apple products because they are not technically inclined and just lazy when it comes to doing things themselves. The ones that get me irate are the elitist minded individuals that try to make you feel that you are stupid for owning an Android phone because the iphone is THE BEST, MOST SUPERIOR phone on the planet!! I usually walk away and let them wallow in their own delusions, lol!
    Exactly. To expand on this, it is also the media. When the I5 was introduced you'd think that it was revolutionary (some used this word) in it's design, when in fact just about everything on it has been on Android for quite a while now. It is exactly this elitist attitude with their users and the media that just absolutely rubs me the wrong way. If it was actually suprior to Android I still wouldn't like it but I would understand, but when it doesn't have NFC, Swype, expandable memory, universal dock options, a micro-HDMI port, or a replaceable battery, it clearly still has some catching up to do.
    09-20-2012 01:10 PM
    ...animosity towards such a company would not normally be warranted unless they as a company had personally done something to you or one of your beloved devices, this statement could probably also be considered fair and accurate (I would assume from experience). This leaves us with their loyal fans, a.k.a. "fan-boys." Yes this is where I hold the most disgust, with them as a company....

...I must admit I hate the fan-boys more than apple itself. ...number one reason for not liking apple, is because of the way their customer base behaves? It is my number one reason,...
    So Apple as a company has not "personally done something to you" and you realize the hate is unwarranted. But since Apple users, by enthusiastically choosing to purchase a product which you, a "full time student Networking Systems Administrator" deem inferior, for their own personal use, have in fact wronged you. Thus, you feel justified in your hatred, not only toward this group of people, but also toward Apple which, of course, is guilty by association.

Impeccable and well thought out logic.

Keep in mind this is Highschool.
    Yes it most certainly is.
    swyost and monkeyluis like this.
    09-20-2012 01:20 PM
    IMHO, the hate comes from Apple abusing the patent system and courts to try to suppress innovation. It seems to be non-stop and some of their patents are quite frankly stupid/trivial (I've been involved in patent cases too so I know when I say the system is pretty messed up)...

Without Apple doing this, people probably would just laugh at the apple fanatics, but there wouldn't be the hate there is now...
    09-20-2012 01:39 PM
    My problem with Apple is for many reasons, some of which you outlined. I will list them below:

1. Their authoritarian attitude - you can do with your Apple product ONLY what we allow you to and ONLY with our "approved" software. I still cannot email a pdf, MP3, document, or zip file, whatever from my phone to my band mate, my wife, etc because they have their own silly reasons for not allowing me to.

2. They omit simple features for so damn long for no reason. Why did it take all these years for individual signatures on email accounts?? In a business environment it's a problem, They also take forever to incorporate new tech, like why didn't the iPhone 4 or 4S have 4G?

3. They flat out lie in their advertisements, and this reeeally bothers me. The reason there are none, or little, viruses on the Mac systems were due to their limited market share. Even the airport terminal screens are running Windows. EVERY OS is susceptible to viruses, malware, and hacking, even Unix/Linux. Of course those systems are more protected, but do you know how difficult it is to run such a secured system as Unix/Linux in a business environment? People really do complain having to enter their password every time they want to install a software or perform certain actions. And Apple claims everything they do, even if it's been out and in use for many years, is *brand new* and "revolutionary".

4. They overcharge significantly for their hardware.

5. They flat out abuse the legal and patent systems. They also bully smaller (who isn't smaller than Apple these days) companies that have no relevance or threat to Apple. Why send a cease and desist to a German cafe who's name is Apfelkind???? Scum of the Earth I tell ya.

6. They stole most of the tech that made them famous but now whine about being copied and "stolen" from.

7. They try to monopolize every industry they step foot in.

8. They don't give an ounce of credit to any company who's tech is incorporated in their devices but again act like they invented it.

Man, I could go on and on, but I have to order food and have dinner. I have no more time to keep going. I think you get the point.

Rev.
    This pretty much describes my feelings too.

Though I would like to add that for products that cost so much they would make them more durable. I swear the iPhone screen has got to be one of the most fragile things I've ever seen.
    09-20-2012 02:00 PM
    Please look up the definition of hate and consider why that term would ever apply to anyone's choice of a phone, tech product (or company), etc.. As for the patent system, please do your homework. I do not like Apple products, but the legal action demonstrates that the system actually continues to work. Samsung lost for a reason and most of the cases exist for equally good reasons. The cases where people are suing over minimally defined, nebulous, vaporware concepts that they never developed are problems. When people litigate over devices vs devices and actual technology vs technology, those are not abuses of the system. That is a demonstration of why the system exists and if Google and its surrogates lose more of those case then they win, you might want to consider what is wrong with their business practices. With respect to use of the word fanatics, again, look it up. What makes rabid Android fanboys (or Blackberry or any product fanboys) any less of embarrassing fanatics?
    09-20-2012 02:06 PM
    +1 for me,
    My friend whom is a very pretty little lady,saw my phone and asked me if that was the s3,i gladly said yes and she said it looked nice and yata yata. Then she handed it back and said i dont like it,she said she thinks iphones are better. I said why do you think so.? She said cause its an iphone(like every1 else lol) i told why the s3 beat her iphone. Gorrila glas,btr network,faster processor etc. Then she agreed with me. lol

Sent from my S3(:
    09-20-2012 02:19 PM
    Most casual device users don't care about patents. They just want a device that works for them like they want.
    09-20-2012 02:21 PM
    Android fanboys, like on this forum, are much worse. They are so angry and spew so much hate. I'm a user of products from both companies and have no issues.
    Ry and MERCDROID like this.
    09-20-2012 02:23 PM
    Reading more comments and I'm amazed at the stereotyping and misinformation. It's like religious fanaticism. You all are just as bad as those you purport to dislike.
    Ry and MERCDROID like this.
    09-20-2012 02:33 PM
    This pretty much describes my feelings too.

Though I would like to add that for products that cost so much they would make them more durable. I swear the iPhone screen has got to be one of the most fragile things I've ever seen.
    The iPhones screen is, and always has been, gorilla glass.
    09-20-2012 02:38 PM
    The iPhones screen is, and always has been, gorilla glass.
    Must not matter much considering how many people I see with screens resembling Spider webs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Rev2010, xlDeMoNiClx and MERCDROID like this.
    09-20-2012 02:43 PM
    Must not matter much considering how many people I see with screens resembling Spider webs.

You really have no idea how many I see here in NYC train system. Its quite remarkable actually!

---------- Post Merged at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Reading more comments and I'm amazed at the stereotyping and misinformation. It's like religious fanaticism. You all are just as bad as those you purport to dislike.
    I think it just bothers you that we don't share the same views that you do. You don't see me in an Apple forum defending Android to the teeth! Take a chill pill and relax! Enjoy yourself and don't let the views of others that may differ with you, bother you! If it bothers you that much, there are other forums where there are like minded individuals such as yourself. Simple really!
    f1nzup and Rev2010 like this.
    09-20-2012 03:20 PM
    my hatred is for the patent system and i as an android fanboy dont get more devices as a status symbol. the average person i know just sees my phone as havin "a huge screen" lol and has no idea of manufacturer, model or specs... its just "Smitys big phone"

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess
    nrm5110 and MERCDROID like this.
    09-20-2012 03:32 PM
    You really have no idea how many I see here in NYC train system. Its quite remarkable actually!

---------- Post Merged at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:16 PM ----------

I think it just bothers you that we don't share the same views that you do. You don't see me in an Apple forum defending Android to the teeth! Take a chill pill and relax! Enjoy yourself and don't let the views of others that may differ with you, bother you! If it bothers you that much, there are other forums where there are like minded individuals such as yourself. Simple really!
    I'd go as far as to say I've seen more cracked iPhone screens than perfect iPhone screens. Carelessness will always be stronger than Gorilla Glass

09-20-2012 03:49 PM
    I'd go as far as to say I've seen more cracked iPhone screens than perfect iPhone screens. Carelessness will always be stronger than Gorilla Glass

I have 4 buddies at my gym all with cracked screen iphones and everytime I see their phones on the floor, I tell them...damn, fix that thing already, will ya!!! lol
    09-20-2012 03:59 PM
    Android fanboys, like on this forum, are much worse. They are so angry and spew so much hate. I'm a user of products from both companies and have no issues.
    I'm pretty sure if I went to an Apple forum I would be saying the exact same thing you just did.
    funkylogik likes this.
    09-20-2012 04:03 PM
    I have 4 buddies at my gym all with cracked screen iphones and everytime I see their phones on the floor, I tell them...damn, fix that thing already, will ya!!! lol
    You know, that amazes me too. A lot of the iPhone owners I know bought it b/c it was cool (not to be cliche, but really--to be cool). Yet, how cool do you look if your phone looks like it was run over by a semi truck?
    SenseMonkey likes this.
    09-20-2012 04:04 PM
127 1234 ...