Samsung confirms plans to sue Apple over LTE in the iPhone 5

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Watch Apple win somehow anyway. They'll probably claim that they planned to have LTE in their phones before the S3 came out or some bull like that.

markespo55

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Well they aren't just talking about the s3. Samsung has had lte as long as a year now. Also the Iphone 5 processor is made by Samsung so they can hold that against them as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
id always thought it would be Moto/Google who would fight iphone over the ip5

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
AND I heard that Samsung didn't make the processor in the iPhone5.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

cdmjlt369

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, I'm no tech genius so go easy. I thought LTE was a service provided so there isn't grounds for a suit in the case of LTE. Or is it a viable suit because LTE is hardware specific?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i actualy thought apple had made (or designed?) its own cpu which included LTE..?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, I'm no tech genius so go easy. I thought LTE was a service provided so there isn't grounds for a suit in the case of LTE. Or is it a viable suit because LTE is hardware specific?

depends in what way (chip wise) theyre using to recieve LTE id guess mate

NickLippert

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Lte is a wireless data technology. So it is sort of in between.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

For a phone to have the ability to access and use LTE, it needs the hardware. Samsung seems to think they own that hardward.

Apple must have snuck into the Samsung warehouses and stole the hardware for the iPhone 5.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
howe come the iphone5 cant do voice and LTE at same time?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
That's only on CDMA carries though like Verizon right? Simultaneous voice/data should still work on AT&T no? On Verizon no one regardless of device could do simultaneous voice/data.

Rev.

Half correct, half incorrect.

Correct - only for the CDMA carriers--Sprint/Verizon

Incorrect - every Android device on the CDMA carriers that is 4G LTE equipped can do simultaneous CDMA and LTE.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I have an S3 and can do data and voice at the same time on a CDMA network over 3g. The iPhone 5 itself is limiting that function, not the cell network. I would bet it has to do with a deal made with AT&T and not some technical reason.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have an S3 and can do data and voice at the same time on a CDMA network over 3g. The iPhone 5 itself is limiting that function, not the cell network. I would bet it has to do with a deal made with AT&T and not some technical reason.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you.

I wouldn't go that far; the explanation that I think is accurate is also the simplest--HSPA+ allows simultaneous voice data, CDMA does not--it needs the extra radio.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yup apple had to save battery life and size

Madness87

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Depends on how Apple is utilizing LTE in it's phone... Samsung did not patent LTE, but I do believe they have patents in regards to chipsets and how LTE is integrated etc. Samsung won't win though. Unlike design aesthetics, most judges will be wary of Samsung only trying to stop Apple from LTE use and it may be vindictive.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Samsung owns 10% of the LTE patents. At the same time though HTC and Motorola are going after Apple because of LTE. Will be great to see how this plays out.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Depends on how Apple is utilizing LTE in it's phone... Samsung did not patent LTE, but I do believe they have patents in regards to chipsets and how LTE is integrated etc. Samsung won't win though. Unlike design aesthetics, most judges will be wary of Samsung only trying to stop Apple from LTE use and it may be vindictive.

Plus it's Apple, and their downright scumbag marketing tactics (at times) are what helped them win their lawsuit over Samsung and they'll use them now. Plus if the judge is an iSheep he'll see the words "Samsung suing Apple" and will jump to defend them with the full law behind him in an instant and Samsung (whether right or wrong) will lose.

That plus the lawsuit Apple won against Samsung for that weak reason of so-called "patent violations" make me lose a lot of respect for the justice system.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx