S3 A good iPod Touch replacement? (Want more iPod storage)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
How well does the Galaxy S3 work as an mp3 player in the car with the aux jack? That's where I usually listen to my iPod. Is the sound quality good enough to replace my iPod Classic that's on its last legs? I'm planning to get an S3 on Monday (October 1) and I'd rather not buy both a new phone AND a new iPod if I don't have to, and knowing if Ican load all my tunes on it and use it in the car will help me decide between the 16GB and 32GB version of the S3.

Thanks!

just invest in a good music player poweramp/player pro with good EQ :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think that once you get the SGS3 you will find yourself wondering why you ever had an ipod. I came from blackberry as well and once I got into an android phone the iPod went away.

Plus another thing is that you can upload your music to the cloud right from itunes into Google Music. That way you always have all your music available. In Canada we have to do a little work around to use the cloud service as it is still only available in the USA but it's very easy. Google it or send me a private message and I will send you instructions. I am also on Telus so if you upgrade you can get the 6gb data plan and never run out of data.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I think that once you get the SGS3 you will find yourself wondering why you ever had an ipod. I came from blackberry as well and once I got into an android phone the iPod went away.

Plus another thing is that you can upload your music to the cloud right from itunes into Google Music. That way you always have all your music available. In Canada we have to do a little work around to use the cloud service as it is still only available in the USA but it's very easy. Google it or send me a private message and I will send you instructions. I am also on Telus so if you upgrade you can get the 6gb data plan and never run out of data.

would that workaround work in UK mate?
p.s i use over 20gb p/m lol :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
would that workaround work in UK mate?
p.s i use over 20gb p/m lol :)

Yes it will. You just need to spoof your ip address and make it think you are in the USA when you set up the account. I used a chrome browser add on called Stealth. Give it a go, or pm me. I have an email with all the instructions I sent to one of my friends.

20gb is massive. I don't think I use that with wifi and data combined. But I am at my desk all day so I don't need to stream much.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah i dont have home broadband or anything so luckily have an unlimited pre-pay sim for ?15 p/m :)

if you have that email still, could you send me it please mate?
my gmail addy isnt hard to work out lol (username) ;)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
yeah i dont have home broadband or anything so luckily have an unlimited pre-pay sim for ?15 p/m :)

if you have that email still, could you send me it please mate?
my gmail addy isnt hard to work out lol (username) ;)

I'm just laying in bed so I can send it tomorrow but I found this link which pretty much covers it.
http://notavailablein.ca/2011/11/i-can-has-google-music-canada-and-so-can-you/Btw that price for unlimited is amazing.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
excelent thanks mate ill have a read :)
yeah it includes 3000txts and 300mins but only HSPA+, no LTE for us yet :)

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Get a 32gig if available. Apps can only go on internal. You can't upgrade internal storage after purchase. Only $50 more.

SD card is not internal. It is external storage.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
true but as an ipod replacement id just get the 16gb and big ext sd card.
is ?50 extra for the actual device or on a carrier plan?

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
true but as an ipod replacement id just get the 16gb and big ext sd card.
is ?50 extra for the actual device or on a carrier plan?

I could make a Scottish joke but I won't go there. :)

Besides, if you knew about my grandparents, you'd make a Kerryman joke.

I've traveled extensively in Ireland and Scotland. Similiar scenery but Scotland has nicer roads.

Get the 32gb then add 64gb SD card. Full dressed and ready to rock.

$50 extra for 32gb device, on or off carrier plan.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
ah right thought u meant ?50 on plan price :)
tell joke :)
im not racist but i laugh at funny racist jokes and i love to laugh at myself (and i think im the only scotsman on here) so go for it lol ;)
....actualy was it about us bein tight with money lol? :)

Canadian737

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes it will. You just need to spoof your ip address and make it think you are in the USA when you set up the account. I used a chrome browser add on called Stealth. Give it a go, or pm me. I have an email with all the instructions I sent to one of my friends.

That's awesome. Not sure if I am really into spoofing my ip though. Seems a bit too risky for my liking. Since you're on Telus, do we get the i747 variant? And have you heard anything about new colours?

Also, that 6gb data plan would be nice. Too bad Telus will want to charge me ridiculous amounts. Time for some price negotiating :p

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
A few years ago I was in almost the exact same spot as you. With the relatively limited storage and reliability I had with the Droid 2, I carried my iPod around for about six months. Since both devices were fairly small, I could fit both in my pocket. It became a hassle to keep up with and juggle between the two, so I eventually transitioned to just using the Droid 2 for music at work. Now that I've moved to the S3 from the iPhone 4S, I only use the S3 for its smartphone and music capabilities. For now I'm using the stock music player, and like others have noted I added a 64GB SD card for expansion. The SD card combined with the onboard 32GB is for now more than sufficient to store music, etc. With all of the optional music synching and player options available for Android, I recommend carrying and using just the S3. The only gap I have so far compared to the 4S is when it comes to using the S3 in my truck. While my stereo systems supports USB and Auxiliary out, I've only been able to get the S3 to work in Aux mode. This requires me to "flip" through my playlist on the phone, rather than using the stereo's onboard controls. Not an ideal situation for driving, and a problem I didn't have with the S4. If I had a Bluetooth capable stereo then this likely wouldn't be an issue.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah a lot of people are having same problem.
unfortunately the iphone has been so popular that a lot of things are built around it :(
the s3 is already changing that with the amount of accessories available.
check out the app "Wave Control" for a safe way to control your music while plugged into aux

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
ah right thought u meant ?50 on plan price :)
tell joke :)
im not racist but i laugh at funny racist jokes and i love to laugh at myself (and i think im the only scotsman on here) so go for it lol ;)
....actualy was it about us bein tight with money lol? :)

Yes, "thrifty" with money is the gist of it. And no, I won't be telling. Out of respect for the "Stone of Scone". Congrats for getting it back!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
That's awesome. Not sure if I am really into spoofing my ip though. Seems a bit too risky for my liking. Since you're on Telus, do we get the i747 variant? And have you heard anything about new colours?

Also, that 6gb data plan would be nice. Too bad Telus will want to charge me ridiculous amounts. Time for some price negotiating :p

It's really not a huge deal to do and so worth it. The spoofing is not anything complicated or risky. All you do is install a browser plugin called Stealthy and select that you want your IP to show you are in the US. You just use this when you sign up for the Google Music account. Once that is done you are good to go. Nothing major.

You just have to follow these steps once and then you will be good to go.

I found some tips here: I can has Google Music Canada, and so can you! | Not Available In Canada

But here are the basic instructions.

1. Go to this website on your desktop computer: Stealthy | Unlocking The Web.
- Download the Chrome browser extension here: http://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ieaebnkibonmpbhdaanjkmedikadnoje

2. Once it is installed you will have to define that you want your computers IP address to be in the US and not Canada. The screenshot below is what you want it to look like.
stealthy.jpg

You can click on the middle USA option but that didn’t work for me the first time so I just typed in United states in the Custom area and it worked.

3. Once you do that you just have to make sure the little stealth icon located in the top right corner of your browser is on and is the color green.

4. Go to http://music.google.com and login with your gmail account that you use on your phone.

5. You may have to agree that you are at a new location and agree to the terms etc. Just say okay/yes.

6. Once it’s all installed you should be good to go and you can now start uploading your music. You can do this directly from iTunes or a number of other methods. Follow the instructions.

7. After I uploaded my music all I had to do was open up my Google music app and add in my gmail address to connect it. If you are not running ICS or higher then you need the side load the google music app which is here: Google_Play_Music_4.3.605.392829.apk

That should do it. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12