i read somewhere that having GPS on all the time wont make a sizeable dent in battery life.
    is there any truth to this as id keep my GPS on to aid my post-theft apps if its the case.
    what i thought was that GPS has to have "sight" of the sky to lock onto a satellite so if indoors, it would use a lot of energy trying.
    anyone?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    09-22-2012 06:36 PM
    I was having battery issues, so I started experimenting to find the best way to extend my battery life. The one setting that had the most significant effect was GPS.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    funkylogik likes this.
    09-22-2012 06:47 PM
    cheers man. i kinda thought that.
    with every android ive ever had, i kept gps off until i needed it.
    reading that made me think though

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    09-22-2012 06:57 PM
    There are apps out there that you can remotely turn the GPS on. WheresMyDroid is one of them.
    09-22-2012 08:18 PM
    i use Android Lost mate, does that do same? and what if sim is swapped?
    09-22-2012 08:27 PM
    Im pretty sure Lookout does the same thing? Though saying that i tried locating my phone while my GPS was on and it didnt find it.
    09-23-2012 02:33 AM
    "prey" failed for me. the problem is that theif changes sim, i have settings locked to prevent factory reset so they means they cant enter correct APN so we'r relying on them using wifi...

09-23-2012 04:44 PM
    i use Android Lost mate, does that do same? and what if sim is swapped?
    Android lost notifies you if someone changes the SIM I'm pretty sure
    09-23-2012 06:34 PM
    Android lost notifies you if someone changes the SIM I'm pretty sure
    yeah it does but im wondering if the phone can still be controlled if the sim is changed and the theif doesnt have data.
    i use Total Recall which records all calls, saves them locally and sends the file to my gmail which could be handy in theft situation as well as when someone wants you to write down info and u dont have pen/paper handy lol

09-23-2012 07:59 PM
    Look, when the GPS is active and looking for your location you will see the target icon flashing in the notification bar. If it's not flashing it's not running and draining your battery. Gps will drain battery a lot when it's constantly running such as when using navigation. If you just leave it enabled it doesn't mean it's on and running all the time. I have NO problems with battery life and I don't ever turn off gps.

Rev.
    funkylogik and tazman69 like this.
    09-23-2012 08:48 PM
    Look, when the GPS is active and looking for your location you will see the target icon flashing in the notification bar. If it's not flashing it's not running and draining your battery. Gps will drain battery a lot when it's constantly running such as when using navigation. If you just leave it enabled it doesn't mean it's on and running all the time. I have NO problems with battery life and I don't ever turn off gps.

Rev.
    thanks man il give it a test

09-23-2012 10:02 PM

My gps has been on and I can say it hasn't had much battery drain,that I Can tell/see,at all. So this is good advice from the rev

Rev.
    09-24-2012 08:38 AM
    gota agree with Rev, its used 0.2% in background

09-24-2012 10:50 AM
    take it it doesnt waste any cpu while idle?

09-24-2012 01:11 PM
    I have absolutely no idea about CPU. But it does use very little battery. And I dunno how my comment was in the quoted post. Grrrr

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    09-24-2012 01:19 PM
    I have absolutely no idea about CPU. But it does use very little battery. And I dunno how my comment was in the quoted post. Grrrr

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    tapatalk?

09-25-2012 10:05 PM
    Seems to me that it depends mostly on how much of the GPS data is requested by apps (more than you'd expect actually). As long as the GPS switch is on, GPS is listening to keep track of your position. The radio calculates your position (in degrees of course). When no apps are polling for your GPS position (it's in a passive state), the GPS radio won't push it's position to Android (since it's not needed) and power consumption is about the same as your communications radio (phone calls/texts). Actually, the GPS radio switches to a less accurate mode, keeping track of your approximate position. The initial position calculation takes a lot of calculations (since you've got no reference point at that moment). Position shifts afterwards require only a fraction of those calculations.

When an app is polling for your GPS position, it sends a request to the GPS API, and the API in his turn tells the GPS to listen for an exact position. Of course, this uses a lot more power. At this point, GPS keeps tracking for its exact position for a while until there are no more requests for a certain amount of time or (obviously) the GPS switch is turned off. This way the GPS radio tries to avoid initial positioning calculations on subsequent position requests (the same story about reference points). When you set the GPS polling timeout for an app too high, it requires initial positioning for every poll, draining your battery a lot faster.

Turning your GPS switch on and off a few times in a short period will drain your battery very fast, again because of the reference point stuff...

Actually, the GPS radio is only completely off when your phone is off. As long as your phone is switched on, the GPS radio is at least in a deep sleep mode, listening for instructions to get activated (when the GPS switch is turned on). In this state, GPS strictly still consumes power (however the rate of power consumtion in that state is too low to be taken serious by at least 95% of the people out there).

Conclusion: having the GPS switch turned on isn't a huge battery drain as is. The extra drain is mostly caused by apps requesting GPS position. I don't only mean your nav app, but all location based services, like local weather widgets, google location-based search, location-based automators that use your GPS, Facebook, ... The list of apps that use your GPS at some point is really long.

Leaving the GPS switch on is not a bad thing or a huge battery drain, but if you do so, you really should review the location settings of your apps. I've turned auto-updating off for almost all of my apps.

Cheers!
    06-11-2013 05:23 AM