This might be a winner

Dizzo1992

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
To anybody that has one and has gotten any indentations or little bumps on the screen protector will they go away I heard about self healing or something idk if that's real or not. Cuz I have some indents just tiny ones but you can feel them if you rub them or tilt the phone a certain way.

The amazing galaxy s3 :D

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I was searching for the Zagg at Amazon and spotted the ArmorSuit MilitaryShield - it makes the same claims as the Zagg:
  • Optically Crystal Clear & Non-sticky outer surface
  • Self-healing technology , Military grade material engineered for your specific device
  • Reduces Grease & Fingerprint, Scratch Proof Protection & Abrasion, erosion, scratch, puncture, and impact resistant
  • ArmorSuit Lifetime Replacement Warranty *Made in the USA*

However, what I like about it is that it fits the entire front face of the phone, no lip from the shield around the edge of the screen - that's a good thing right?

I could not find any hammer smashing videos though.

My thought is to combine a top screen protector with an Ultra slim case that will give the phone grip, keep the camera lens off any surface I place the phone on and add very little bulk. This way I have some protection while being almost naked.

I have the ArmorSuit MilitaryShield and took it off after maybe three weeks. It went on fine for a wet install and didn't seem to reduce the clarity or touch responsiveness. What I didn't like was the feel. It was almost like it never hardened, staying in a slightly soft state. This was most evident when you need to perform lots of touch actions. The self healing didn't work so well either. Had a few nicks and scratches that never really got "better".

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I have the ArmorSuit MilitaryShield and took it off after maybe three weeks. It went on fine for a wet install and didn't seem to reduce the clarity or touch responsiveness. What I didn't like was the feel. It was almost like it never hardened, staying in a slightly soft state. This was most evident when you need to perform lots of touch actions. The self healing didn't work so well either. Had a few nicks and scratches that never really got "better".

I ended up going with the Zagg Extreme. I put it on yesterday. Phone is very cloudy today but it is supposed to take 3 or 4 days to clear up. It is too early to judge but feel of the zagg might be a little (extremely slightly) more sticky then pure glass but I need to let it settle and 100% dry.

I read a lot of reviews of these and many people say screen protectors are a waste of money. I'll report back on look and feel of it in a week or so. Unfortunately I won't be able to report back on its phone protection quality as I don't plan on purposely testing it with a hammer or knife :)

As I mentioned above, the plan is to protect the phone with the screen protector and a super thin case the offers a better grip then the slippery naked back. This should be plenty of protection unless I do a severe drop on cement.

Dizzo1992

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm liking the screen protector the cloudiness went away so yay :D the only problem is now my friend smashed it with an uneven microphone so now I have indents that are bothering me... Thinking about sending away for a new one Idk if I would go to best buy or ask zagg for a replacement.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
that military one sounds good in that it covers the WHOLE of the glass, thats the only type of protector id use.. id probably put that on and then say a decalgirl skin on top to change bezel colour so its all flat and seamless

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I ended up going with the Zagg Extreme. I put it on yesterday. Phone is very cloudy today but it is supposed to take 3 or 4 days to clear up. It is too early to judge but feel of the zagg might be a little (extremely slightly) more sticky then pure glass but I need to let it settle and 100% dry.

I read a lot of reviews of these and many people say screen protectors are a waste of money. I'll report back on look and feel of it in a week or so. Unfortunately I won't be able to report back on its phone protection quality as I don't plan on purposely testing it with a hammer or knife :)

Ok, I have had this on for 3 full days, I still have a few blotches that I hope will go away. So far two thumbs down on the Zagg Extreme. It definitely has a soft plasticy feel as compared to a naked screen. I also notice that the screen now has a bit less sensitivity.

Sadly, I can take my finger nail and scuff up the screen. I actually tested this off the screen area by the home button and now have finger nail marks there that seem to be permanent dents/scratches so the Zagg extreme is not as hard as a finger nail.

I'll probably rip this thing off soon and end up with a Samsung Galaxy S3 Screen Protector GLAS Premium Tempered Glass Series At least that will feel like glass and resist scuffs and scratches and not just protect the screen.

Dizzo1992

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
My zagg extreme has been a pretty good experience so far. I've had mind on for 4 days the clouding is gone and it looks crystal clear. The touch sensitivity seems to be working fine I haven't had any problems texting or swiping through stuff. I do have some indents that won't go away but that's cuz my friend was hitting it with an uneven microphone :/ but no cracking. I like how you can still put a case on I pretty much have a small case for the back and relying on this for the front protection. So far it's a thumbs up If it lasts. Dropped it about waist high held up fine so far worth the money. :)

evq.003

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
My zagg extreme has been a pretty good experience so far. I've had mind on for 4 days the clouding is gone and it looks crystal clear. The touch sensitivity seems to be working fine I haven't had any problems texting or swiping through stuff. I do have some indents that won't go away but that's cuz my friend was hitting it with an uneven microphone :/ but no cracking. I like how you can still put a case on I pretty much have a small case for the back and relying on this for the front protection. So far it's a thumbs up If it lasts. Dropped it about waist high held up fine so far worth the money. :)

+1

I've had the Extreme on my phone for over a week now, and still crystal clear, still no scratches, touch is very responsive, and I'm still rockin' it without a case of any kind.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Monitoring my spots/blotches today. They seem a little smaller. Maybe they will go away in a week or so. Responsiveness seem pretty good now however. Still what really bothers me is that I can scratch this screen cover with my finger nail. I am pretty sure I could not do this on naked glass.

The spot were I took my thumb nail and ran it back and forth a few times now has little striations/dent marks after more than a 24 hours. There was some but not 100% self healing and it was just my thumb nail and I did not press that hard. Fortunately, I did this test off the screen near the home button so it does not interfere with the viewable screen and is hard to notice unless I look for it.

Try this, take you thumb nail, press down on the screen and go back and forth, do you get striations/dent marks? If so, do they go away? Maybe I got and extra soft screen cover or a faulty one?

If the spots don't go away, I will need to take this cover off. Before I do I'll try to post a video of the spots. I also will do a real good thumbnail test in the middle of the screen and document the scratches to the cover over a few days. I am pretty sure anyone that sees what I am talking about would not buy the Zagg extreme.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
a finger nail defo WONT scratch the bare glass mate

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

evq.003

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Try this, take you thumb nail, press down on the screen and go back and forth, do you get striations/dent marks? If so, do they go away? Maybe I got and extra soft screen cover or a faulty one?

I did the fingernail scratch test at lunch today, (and for purposes of full disclosure - I was probably a little conservative in doing so), but I was successful in creating the scratches and indentations. And when I did that, I did see how some are reporting a soft or rubbery feel to it, although I don't feel it in normal use. After lunch the indentation was gone but the scratch markings were still visible. However, a bit soft cleaning/wiping/rubbing with the flat of my finger and I was able to remove any evidence of the scratch whatsoever.

Dizzo1992

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Worst comes to worst if your protector is all scratched up you can always send for a new one for free and keep it looking clean :)

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Good idea. I just ordered a replacement. The next one I'll be sure not to scratch with my fingernail to test how tough it is.... Plus maybe I won't have spots and imperfections with the new one.
$3.99 for a replacement and I need to ship back this one so it is not cheap to send these back everytime you put it in you pocket with your keys and it get it nicked up.

When I get the new one, before I peel this one off I'll do another fingernail scratch and put it up on youtube to show that while these things may offer screen crack protection they are easily damaged and scuffed up.

I did the fingernail scratch test at lunch today, (and for purposes of full disclosure - I was probably a little conservative in doing so), but I was successful in creating the scratches and indentations. And when I did that, I did see how some are reporting a soft or rubbery feel to it, although I don't feel it in normal use. After lunch the indentation was gone but the scratch markings were still visible. However, a bit soft cleaning/wiping/rubbing with the flat of my finger and I was able to remove any evidence of the scratch whatsoever.

I was also a bit conservative with fingernail pressure. But I rubbed and buffed and still see the scuff marks (barely but they are there). During my youtube test I'll put a little more pressure with my fingernail and do it more at the middle of the screen where the will be easy to see and video.

That being said, maybe I got one from a bad batch. It really is hard to believe that the Zagg Extreme is so delicate as to not withstand a fingernail scuff. Or maybe they give up some hardness strength to protect the screen against shattering with a hammer.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
maybe use one of the hammer- (but not fingernail) proof protectors with a glassy scratch proof one on top of it for ultra protection :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
It seems a screen protector would be at least as strong as the glass it is protecting or are they kind of like those plastic sofa covers that crazy aunts use to keep the sofa like new?

like keeping the plastic showroom covers on the leather seats in your Porche 911 :p

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
actualy just keep it in a bullet proof tank with blutooth keyboard n mouse :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol