10-03-2012 02:09 PM
68 123
tools
    I rooted, but did not unlock the bootloader or add clockwork. After being a flashaholic with my nexus, I decided to take a break.

I run nova launcher, I dont recommend deleting touchwiz. There is an app called home manager and you can kill touchwiz and run nova exclusively. Thats what I do at least.
    10-01-2012 07:58 AM
    I rooted, but did not unlock the bootloader or add clockwork. After being a flashaholic with my nexus, I decided to take a break.

I run nova launcher, I dont recommend deleting touchwiz. There is an app called home manager and you can kill touchwiz and run nova exclusively. Thats what I do at least.
    does home manager only work with root mate?
    noticed TW launcher cant be disabled in app list

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    10-01-2012 12:28 PM
    Oh I see the difference now, I guess I mean rooting without flashing a custom ROM.

If I do that, my phone will still look the same right? I am running Nova Launcher, so my phone will still be customized by the launcher? But by rooting, I can permanently delete touchwiz so that it's not running in the background concurrently with Nova?
    phone will look exact same exept that you can uninstall system apps (be VERY careful what you uninstall)
    plus you can use some great apps like "ad free" to remove ads from free apps
    tbh i dont know what happens with OTAs on a rooted phone.. i THINK you still get them but they remove root so you gota do it again but wait until someone who knows for sure replies

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    10-01-2012 12:34 PM
    My answers are bolded above. I am an Android purist so when I got this phone I wanted to have the best Google experience possible and that means as soon as there was a possibility to flash a ROM like CM10 or AOKP that is close to stock Android I jumped on it. With root access, you have greater access to your phone and can easily make this great phone better. I have found no cons that can't outweighed by pros.
    I have a question that involves rooting. Can you root an Android phone, using a MacBook Pro? I will be upgrading my HTC Vivid to a SGS3, but have been told by some, that i need to use a PC. Any help with this question, would be greatly appreciated.
    10-01-2012 12:42 PM
    I have a question that involves rooting. Can you root an Android phone, using a MacBook Pro? I will be upgrading my HTC Vivid to a SGS3, but have been told by some, that i need to use a PC. Any help with this question, would be greatly appreciated.
    I believe your question is answered by using the search bar.
    10-01-2012 09:16 PM
    I believe your question is answered by using the search bar.
    thats not very nice man!
    a simple yes or no or just tapping "back" would have saved some of your precious time :banghead:

10-01-2012 11:34 PM
    Pros: Custom ROMS, full control over what's on your phone.

Cons: It's easy to get addicted to flashing ROMS. It's hard to stick with just one for too long
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-01-2012 11:36 PM
    tbh i dont know for sure but i "think" Mac will be ok.
    hopefully someone more knowledgable than me but less of a **** than the guy above will reply
    ..or you could just google it lmao

10-01-2012 11:37 PM
    thats not very nice man!
    a simple yes or no or just tapping "back" would have saved some of your precious time :banghead:

Lol, I'm sorry!!
    I had read in the forums about the S3 not being able to sync so I didn't want to answer off a guess!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-02-2012 05:48 AM
    As to my current knowledge there is no current way to root the GS3 with a Mac. You would need to use the root utility that roots the device from your device.
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-02-2012 07:49 AM
    does home manager only work with root mate?
    noticed TW launcher cant be disabled in app list

Home Manager does not require root. Simply install, long press tw launcher and select kill. Easy peazy!
    funkylogik and evq.003 like this.
    10-02-2012 08:07 AM
    Lol, I'm sorry!!
    I had read in the forums about the S3 not being able to sync so I didn't want to answer off a guess!!

lol no problem bro. it just came across as rude.
    have a beer :beer:

10-02-2012 08:45 PM
    Thanks man!! Cheers!

funkylogik likes this.
    10-02-2012 08:48 PM
    As to my current knowledge there is no current way to root the GS3 with a Mac. You would need to use the root utility that roots the device from your device.
    do you have a link to the method of rooting without a computer pal? (thats how i did my Zte Blade, legendary phone)
    im really bad with computers.
    is this method more risky?
    thanks

10-02-2012 10:45 PM
    do you have a link to the method of rooting without a computer pal? (thats how i did my Zte Blade, legendary phone)
    im really bad with computers.
    is this method more risky?
    thanks

On the global device I will have to do some digging and see if I can use the same method, I know the non-computer methods works on the Verizon model.
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-03-2012 07:20 AM
    On the global device I will have to do some digging and see if I can use the same method, I know the non-computer methods works on the Verizon model.
    ah right. im not close to rooting this phone yet but if you come across an in-phone technique to root and install SU then give me a shout mate.
    thanx

10-03-2012 09:41 AM
    Section 1 of this guide.

[GUIDE][VZW Edition]How to root your Galaxy SIII & More!(ROMs/CWM/Stock) - xda-developers

Full disclaimer, I rooted with a PC. So I have no idea how it goes with a Mac.

-Suntan
    10-03-2012 01:31 PM
    Yes you can but you can't use Odin. There is an Odin replacement for the Mac called Heimdall. Don't ask me how it's done though.
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-03-2012 02:09 PM
68 123