ROOT: Pros&Cons. (Experiences only)

The SuperUser

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
As the title says I am interested in rooting my device.
I have read numerous articles about it, and know what to do and how to do it.

But I want y'all to let me know, I FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE rooting THIS phone.

?What did you use to root it?

?Why did you root it?

?What root/ROM are you running?

?How much more efficient is it. I. E. Battery, speed, and anything else

?Why did you RETURN to stock? (if applicable)

I think this would help a lot of people and help me off the fence.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

?Why did you root it?

Have you ever rooted an Android device before? Do you understand the key stuff like bootloader, root permissions, etc.?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Used ODIN.

?Why did you root it?
To unlock bootloader and flash AOSP based ROMs

AOKP B3

Battery life has been better so far and speed without question is better.

Would never consider it.

My answers are bolded above. I am an Android purist so when I got this phone I wanted to have the best Google experience possible and that means as soon as there was a possibility to flash a ROM like CM10 or AOKP that is close to stock Android I jumped on it. With root access, you have greater access to your phone and can easily make this great phone better. I have found no cons that can't outweighed by pros.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I have rooted every smart phone I've had, each time quicker than before.

My main reason being that without root the phone is just a phone. Nothing more and nothing less. By rooting, it becomes personal. There are many more choices you have when the phone is rooted. I can add mods which change the ui. Themes that complely change the way the phone looks. I can under clock to save battery when i know i will be away from the charger awhile. Or I can over clock to show off.

I had this phone rooted the day after I got it in the mail. And have both unrooted and rerooted close to 20 times on this particular phone. I have tried every method available to root this device. I do this so I can offer help to those that may need it. This it among the easiest phones I've ever seen to root and unroot.

As for negatives... You won't hear any from me.

As far as how I rooted, I used Odin from my desktop. By far the simplest way to go on a Samsung devices.

The SuperUser

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: ROOT: Pros&Cons. (Experiences only)

Due to reading these 2, and the others i've been reading the past few days, i'm in the process of rooting using the methods provided by the user, "creccaj1", all is well as of this moment. :)

Last edited:

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

Tried the debugFS method but my Mac wouldn't recognize the device, so I used the Ninja method
?Why did you root it?
Simply just wanted no bloat
CleanROM
No clue, didn't use it stock long enough to find out. I rooted with 5 minutes of activating.

I say this to all people who ask about it, don't do it unless your ready to deal with the potential headaches.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I have rooted every smart phone I've had, each time quicker than before.

My main reason being that without root the phone is just a phone. Nothing more and nothing less. By rooting, it becomes personal. There are many more choices you have when the phone is rooted. I can add mods which change the ui. Themes that complely change the way the phone looks. I can under clock to save battery when i know i will be away from the charger awhile. Or I can over clock to show off.

I had this phone rooted the day after I got it in the mail. And have both unrooted and rerooted close to 20 times on this particular phone. I have tried every method available to root this device. I do this so I can offer help to those that may need it. This it among the easiest phones I've ever seen to root and unroot.

As for negatives... You won't hear any from me.

As far as how I rooted, I used Odin from my desktop. By far the simplest way to go on a Samsung devices.

cool, the famous Skunkape :) pleased to meet you man.
ive heard youre the dude to go to with root/flashing problems :)
be prepared for some panicky pm's from me when i get sick of official JB and finaly mod this phone lol... im ok with android but computers HATE me :( ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

The SuperUser

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
"
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)"

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
cool, the famous Skunkape :) pleased to meet you man.
ive heard youre the dude to go to with root/flashing problems :)
be prepared for some panicky pm's from me when i get sick of official JB and finaly mod this phone lol... im ok with android but computers HATE me :( ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Lol... Famous??? I thought I was only known in the sprint gs3 forums, nexus s4g and perhaps some of the old timers on the og epic forums. But yeah, I have probably rooted more gs3's than many and probably bricked more og epics than most.

Glad to meet you... If you need anything, I am usually.in the sprint gs3 forum.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
"
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)"

What carrier are you on and could you provide a link to the guide you are using?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
This should be pretty straight forward. How are you unzipping root_66 tar? You should be using 7zip for 32bit windows or this for 64 bit windows.

Are your drivers properly installed (does Odin see your phone)? Should have a number and com in the ID com block. Also try plugging your usb port into a different port. The ones in the back of a desk top for some reason work the best. If you continue to have issues try a different cable. if that doesn't help re-download the route 66 tar. It's a big file it is possible your connection dropped some packets. After each failure you may want to restart your phone and computer.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

If you downloaded the OTA from Verizon then it would fail. You are going to need to follow this to obtain root if you are on the G7 baseband... http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii-rooting-roms-hacks/210290-verified-root-method-vralg7-ota-users.html.

If you are on the stock OS build, the one that came from the factory LF2 then the method you posted in Cyber's guide should work fine. If you are on LF2 build, follow Skunk's advice but if you are on the G7 build, check out the link that I posted above.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I rooted using ODIN and flashed the stock rooted ROM. I did it because I could and I wanted to freeze bloat and increase battery life. Both were accomplished. Speed and battery life were better for sure. I even froze TW. I only use Nova now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I used Odin

I honestly rooted because touch wiz (status bar and toggles mainly are ugly as *beeeeep*) and I wanted to back up apps and use WiFi tether (for Sprint you must be rooted)

Running FreeGS3. Rom is absolutely amazing. Love it

Battery life is a little bit better but I never really looked into all of that before hand so I would know the difference between it and stock lol.

As for kernels, I have no idea what to do. I'm a noob but I want to try them. Anyone want to start me off in the right direction? :)

The SuperUser

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
After re-installing the usb drives, with the phone disconnected, it has still come up as the same problem.

I've been getting the "0:[COM:1]", so I don't believe it has anything to do with those drivers.

My firmware is VRALG1.

Unzipped the file with 7zip to my file.

Lastly, I haven't redownloaded the .tar file which can only be the problem unless my firmware is.

Thank you 2 both for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel