Language change

Dr_AJ

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
OH dear! What was I thinking?
So I buy the S3 on-line. The phone comes today boxed and sealed. I've just charged it and guess what....Merde. The dam thing is in French and so is the instructions.
What the heck can I do now? I don't understand French (well maybe the odd phrase "une Beer sil vu plait" and Merci")
Are there any nice people out there that will give me a path to change the phone to English (assuming that's possible). I really want to play with my new toy.
I could translate what you give me to French with an on-line translator.

Please help this poor idiot that should have known better.
AJ

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
is it the global or a US variant? if its global i can TRY and guide you to changing language. have you activated it with gmail account yet?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Dr_AJ

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
is it the global or a US variant? if its global i can TRY and guide you to changing language. have you activated it with gmail account yet?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

urm.... I've just turned the phone on and its in French, I don't know what global or us variant means. I've just converted from the other side (well almost, until I get this phone going). Its my first few hours with an android phone.

I really am a newbie.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
whats the model code on the box? does it have i9300 in it?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
right do you have a googlemail account?
what do you see when the phone has booted up?
(this is exciting like guiding someone to land a plane lol)

Dr_AJ

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
right do you have a googlemail account?
what do you see when the phone has booted up?
(this is exciting like guiding someone to land a plane lol)

The phone says select a language (in french) and the only choice isFrancais (French). under that is says Debut.

:(

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
hmm, jst select french and see what comes next.
if we can get into the actual homescreen, i can guide you through the settings to change language (i have the gt-i9300 and theres a huge choice of languages)
is yours locked to a carrier or unlocked (sim free)?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
id guess debut means begin lol :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
just a thought but have you searched for a programme for your computer like a galaxy s3 emulator or something like call centre staff use?

Dr_AJ

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
oh dear, am I a complete Twit (with an a) or what.
By selecting Fracais as the language, the phone gave me a list of languages. I selected English and now its fine.
I thought if I selected french it might be permanent.
my job? oh, I'm a systems manager. I have a PHd. Sometimes I think people like me should be shot!!!
I am so angry with myself.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

a very embarrassed

AJ

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
lmao glad youre sorted mate. getting stuck is how we learn on android :)
enjoy the phone, its a peach ;)

Lethal40

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Just noticed a question on the forums about a samsung galaxy s3 preloaded in french. I have similar issue with this model, though in chinese. Gone thru youtube and seller (who pointed me to youtube for another phone)....useless.

can anyone suggest or help with getting the phone to english? None of the menu options seem to do this.
I have seen the menu options for a samsun account and also wi-fi, but no idea how to do the rest in the current language shown.

Appreciate any input.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
If you go into the settings scroll down until you see the letter A on a white box with 3 dots. Click on that and you will be taken to the language menu. First box is the language, see if you can change the default language to english by clicking on that

TMO GS3 * NEXUS 7

Lethal40

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your note geekymcfly, I could follow your instructions however as everything from the start screen etc was in chinese, even to navigate to 'settings'. However I took it to a local mobile phone shop (in springvale...where i was sure they could read it) ...they were able to sort it.
thanks again.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your note geekymcfly, I could follow your instructions however as everything from the start screen etc was in chinese, even to navigate to 'settings'. However I took it to a local mobile phone shop (in springvale...where i was sure they could read it) ...they were able to sort it.
thanks again.

Glad you got it fixed

TMO GS3 * NEXUS 7

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Should be easy. If you have experience of using that phone or a older Samsung smartphone just look for the keyboard/language icon and then the first option should be language. I'm glad you could sort it out though. Hopefully you didn't have to pay for someone to help you.