So here is the issue and hopefully someone will have some advice for me or maybe another application or program that can clear this up.

I realized that I was not able to receive text messages randomly one day. I dealt with ATT on the phone forever and even went into a warranty center. They did all the "trouble shooting" to try and fix the issue and even gave me a replacement phone because they could not figure it out. I got the new phone, I was able to receive messages and everything was good. I downloaded all of apps back and continued to use my phone as normal. It happened again about a week later. I went back to the warranty center where the "tech reps" helped me and concluded that it was an application that was causing this. Now I use my phone for basic purposes and have not done the "jail break" or anything like that. I do not download any kind of crazy apps except some games and some for sports. If I do a factory reset on my phone it will fix it for about a week then do it again, and as you know this is a pain and I do not want to do this all the time. I have downloaded an "anti-virus" application to see if it would do that but it didn't work. Does anyone have any advice or have any kind of reccomendations to how I can fix this or possibly figure out what application is doing this or if it really is an application or if they are jsut blowing smoke up my a**. Anyones insight will help!

Thanks,
    Zach
    10-02-2012 03:16 PM
    It's rather difficult to guess at what particular application could be causing this behaviour without having a list to work with. You could use something like https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ry.shareMyApps to generate a list of the applications you have installed and perhaps someone will recognize one that has caused them problems.
    Or you can do it the hard way - do another factory reset and only install a few apps at a time; if it's been taking a week (which sounds strange) for the problem to occur, then wait a week before you install the next set of apps.
    When you're picking apps to install, pay attention to the permissions that they're requesting. Anything that has network permission may be suspect. Obviously, any other messaging apps would be suspect as well.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-02-2012 03:31 PM
    It's rather difficult to guess at what particular application could be causing this behaviour without having a list to work with. You could use something like https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ry.shareMyApps to generate a list of the applications you have installed and perhaps someone will recognize one that has caused them problems.
    Or you can do it the hard way - do another factory reset and only install a few apps at a time; if it's been taking a week (which sounds strange) for the problem to occur, then wait a week before you install the next set of apps.
    When you're picking apps to install, pay attention to the permissions that they're requesting. Anything that has network permission may be suspect. Obviously, any other messaging apps would be suspect as well.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    thanks for that mate.
    someone on here asked what apps i have and i was like "umm theres like 300" lol

to the OP. if you use a 3rd party sms app, you dont have the stock Mesages app disabled do you?
    that stops you from recieving txts.
    have you tried your sim in another phone?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    10-02-2012 03:51 PM
    Yeah, almost all of my apps have "permissions" but it's not like they are generic applications made by a personal creator. They are things like ESPN, CNN, my banking application. I do not have any kind of 3rd person messaging application. I don't know what it could be. I have replaced the sim card as well as gotten a replacement phone. I don't think the sim is suspect only because there is NO problem once I do a factory reset. Once I do the reset it will not happen for maybe 2 days all the way to a week later. I do a factory reset again, and the phone will work again. I am slowly dwindling down on applications but it is just very irritating for me. I jsut don't understand why an application would cause this that google has approved to be on there market, yet it is out there causing people issues. I appreciate all of the help from you guys..if any other ideas or suggestions come up let me know!

Zach
    10-05-2012 06:55 PM
    I realize that most applications require some permissions - I was suggesting limiting those that require network permission. I also wouldn't put too much trust in apps just because they're from ESPN or your bank: they're just as likely to be poorly coded as something from 'A-Z Programming'. Nor do I believe that Amazon or Google put apps through the wringer the way we might hope that they do.
    With all of that said, it's clear that you have some sort of problem, and since you've switched phones and SIM cards the problem is likely in an application or combination of apps. So I'd still make the same recommendation - do a factory reset, then resist the temptation to load up a bunch of apps and just run clean for a week. See what happens and if everything is working fine, load a few apps and give it some time.
    Heck, for all I know you're having some problem with TouchWiz - you could try just loading a different launcher (I'm currently running Nova) and see how it goes.
    Sorry if this isn't what you're looking for, but it's the best I can suggest given the limited information available.

funkylogik likes this.
    10-05-2012 08:15 PM