I read somewhere that Li-ion batteries should be ideally kept between 20-90% charge. Does this mean that I should recharge it back to around 90% often if I have the chance, instead of letting it run low?
    10-02-2012 03:00 PM
    That's optimum performance out put you can charge it to 100% but don't let it just sit there after 100% it begins discharging and too much discharge will cut the batteries life cycle from 1 year to 6 months and cause instability

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM
    10-02-2012 03:13 PM
    That's optimum performance out put you can charge it to 100% but don't let it just sit there after 100% it begins discharging and too much discharge will cut the batteries life cycle from 1 year to 6 months and cause instability

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but can you provide a link to that info? I'd be interested to read that.
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-02-2012 05:11 PM
    So plugging it in at night and using as an alarm while I recharge is not good for battery?
    10-02-2012 05:12 PM
    id like to see evidence of that (also not trying to be a jerk but it goes against my preconceptions)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    10-02-2012 06:59 PM
    Heat will reduce the life greatly. Cycling them reduces the life. Basically, run it off of AC when you can.
    The charger is smart. It has to be or it would be a hazard. At 100% charge, it turns off the charger. No trickle charge, nothing. If the battery drops back below a certain point, like 96%, it kicks the charge back on until it gets to 100%.

My rule is to not deep cycle them, keep them on charge often, and not let them get hot. My smartphone batteries last for years.

Quote from battery university: "avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles "

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-02-2012 07:11 PM
    cool, my s3 is my window to the internet so its usualy plugged in when im at home

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    10-02-2012 07:14 PM
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, but can you provide a link to that info? I'd be interested to read that.

Lol its simply just the nature of lithium ions batteries and they are single cell Batteries. When you do speratic charges such as 30 mins and off it eventually damages the cell. There's 2 battery life cycles the charge cycle and the life cycle the life cycle of the cell is directly impacted by the way it charges and discharges. Batteries are designed for 95 -16 optimum efficiency too much dis charge 2 fast damages the cell as heat is an enemy. That's y laptop batteries become unstable and potentially volitile when always plugged in and you suddenly need it outside and it drains rapidly and over heats. In all lithium ion batteries there's iodised lithium powder seperated by a film with other chemicals and this cell configuration is one positive negitive and that's how it gets the stored power
    10-04-2012 01:05 PM
    Too much input and with draw damages the film and if the chemicals combine there is a chemical reaction that is exothermic and potentuly explosive the deterierated life cy le is simply the film being decentegrated by the heat there ha e been cases of batteries exploding due to I.proper charging always on the charger is bad dear god people GOOGLE IT AND WIKIPEDIA!! I'm not going to provide links I'm going to make you look for it
    10-04-2012 01:10 PM
    or copy/paste it

10-04-2012 02:47 PM
    Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life, other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery once in a while.

Source: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries
    • A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

• Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing.

•Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.

• Chargers use different methods for “ready” indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge.

• Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.

• Before prolonged storage, apply some charge to bring the pack to about half charge.

Source: Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries
    cyanogen-man and funkylogik like this.
    10-04-2012 03:00 PM
    Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life, other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery once in a while.

Source: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries
    A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing.

Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.

Chargers use different methods for ready indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge.

Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.

Before prolonged storage, apply some charge to bring the pack to about half charge.

Source: Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries
    any belevers in the merits of using a battery level calibration app on a new phone? (i noticed my s3 in particular was very badly calibrated out the box)

10-04-2012 07:04 PM