Horrible battery on GS3 - phones dies every night! Help!

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I've only had my GS3 for a short while. The battery life was ok the first couple of days. But now my phone battery has died for 3 straight nights! Each time I want to bed with 100% charge and when I woke up in the morning, the battery was completely dead and the phone was off. After powering on, I notice that the cell-standby takes up the highest usage.

Network: AT&T
Apps: apps installed on my phone - Angry Birds, Chrome, Facebook, Google Finance, Flashlight, Gmail, Google Maps, Tango, Unit Converter, Juice Defender, Visual Voicemail and Whatsapp. None of these should have been running overnight except the push Gmail (only one account and I get very few emails). I am not using the default email app as I don't have a need for it.
OTA: Latest OTA update already installed.

I installed the free version of Juice Defender and it seem to help for a day, but then it was useless. I tried, balanced, aggressive and other settings, but nothing helped. Do I have a bad phone? Is the OTA the culprit? Is the constant pinging of cell tower at night the issue here? This is mighty frustrating.

Any help to get this resolved is much appreciated.

TIA! Iconcheers.gif

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
have you checked to see if there are any apps running in the background? I remember when I checked in the first few weeks of having my S3, I had several apps running in the background (All Free versions of Angry Birds, Words w/ Friends Free, Zynga games.)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
How often are your apps syncing?.....Make them sync every hour not every 10 or 20 min
Whats your brighness level?......keep it at about 15%, screen brightness is usually the most cause for a quick battery drain

Keep your Juice Defender at Balanced and check the settings above and you should be good

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
1. Start with a factory reset, and don't reinstall anything - see how it goes.
2. Turn off data & WiFi and see what effect each have.
3. Be sure the screen is turned off.
4. (Related to your data connection) Are you in an area where the phone is constantly searching for a signal, or switching between 4G/3G/1X? That'll kill the battery in no time.
5. How many bars on the phone (not data) signal? (or check Settings -> About -> Status and look for Signal strength: how many dbm?)
6. Finally, what's the battery life like when you're not at home? Does it last all day (which it should) when you're out-and-about?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

GtoJon

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I had a simple 3D clock sucking my battery .... go to bed with 50% & wake up with a dea phone! Removed that app & I can go to bed with 90% & wake at 84% 7 hours later. You must have a weather app or something banging the f%#% out of your GPS or something like that. BTW, my battery now lests for about 64 hours :D

Cheers, Jon

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
id charge it overnght instead lol.
it shouldnt run down that fast when not being used though (unless its north-pole night time lol)
an app is keepin it awake.
get Gsam app, fully charge it then say four hours later see whats been running

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
have you checked to see if there are any apps running in the background? I remember when I checked in the first few weeks of having my S3, I had several apps running in the background (All Free versions of Angry Birds, Words w/ Friends Free, Zynga games.)
Yes, every night before going to bed, I close all running apps by long pressing the home button. Now if there are any rogue apps still running in the background after I close all of them, then I don't know what to do.

How often are your apps syncing?.....Make them sync every hour not every 10 or 20 min
Whats your brighness level?......keep it at about 15%, screen brightness is usually the most cause for a quick battery drain

Keep your Juice Defender at Balanced and check the settings above and you should be good
I don't know how often my apps sync. But have less than 10 apps installed (list is in my OP). Should it matter?

Juice Defender has always been set to Balanced since the day I installed the app. Never turned it off. Even with JD on, the phone battery died overnight.

1. Start with a factory reset, and don't reinstall anything - see how it goes.
2. Turn off data & WiFi and see what effect each have.
3. Be sure the screen is turned off.
4. (Related to your data connection) Are you in an area where the phone is constantly searching for a signal, or switching between 4G/3G/1X? That'll kill the battery in no time.
5. How many bars on the phone (not data) signal? (or check Settings -> About -> Status and look for Signal strength: how many dbm?)
6. Finally, what's the battery life like when you're not at home? Does it last all day (which it should) when you're out-and-about?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

I will try factory reset last. It is my last resort.

I usually have about 3 bars of cell signal when I at home.

Funnily, the battery lasts all day when I am up and about during the day. It lasts all day when I am in the office. For some reason it dies at night when I sleep.

id charge it overnght instead lol.
get Gsam app, fully charge it then say four hours later see whats been running

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)
I have to try this Gsam app. I didn't know about this app.

Try CPU spy. Its simple and effective.

What is CPU spy? What does it do?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I had a simple 3D clock sucking my battery .... go to bed with 50% & wake up with a dea phone! Removed that app & I can go to bed with 90% & wake at 84% 7 hours later. You must have a weather app or something banging the f%#% out of your GPS or something like that. BTW, my battery now lests for about 64 hours :D

Cheers, Jon

I'd check into this OP. A weather widget or something could be using gps alot to drain battery.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC fourms

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
the fact its only discharging fast at night is very strange.. there must be a clue in that?

OWybPPgO

Geek Mom
Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I would get rid of Juice Defender and and other task killer type apps. Then install a good battery monitor like GSam. In the morning, check GSam to see what's consuming your battery.

It's always a better idea to figure out what the performance problems are before trying to solve them. :)

PanchoPlanet

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
OP, before you factory reset try a reboot, I have run into this before.
A reboot can sometimes do wonders. That's if you haven't done it already.

Pp.

Sent from the future using Mayan technology.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I would get rid of Juice Defender and and other task killer type apps. Then install a good battery monitor like GSam. In the morning, check GSam to see what's consuming your battery.

It's always a better idea to figure out what the performance problems are before trying to solve them. :)

ive heard of "hockey moms" lol but "geek mom"!! love it! :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
OP, before you factory reset try a reboot, I have run into this before.
A reboot can sometimes do wonders. That's if you haven't done it already.

Pp.

Sent from the future using Mayan technology.

mate is there any difference between holding power button and selecting "restart" versus what someone on here called a soft reset (holding power button in until the phone reboots)?

p.s, aparently taking battery out for >30seconds can fix a lot of simple faults but in this case i doubt it.

plus since the OP has woken up to a dead phone.. that really counts as a reboot eh? ;)

ilifecomputer

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
It's a horrible bug and there's a while other thread about it. As soon as I leave Disneyland I will post all applicable links.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
It's a horrible bug and there's a while other thread about it. As soon as I leave Disneyland I will post all applicable links.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

kick Micky in da nutz for me please! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos