10-19-2012 10:05 AM
41 12
tools
    Copied this post in response to http://forums.androidcentral.com/rum...le-user-2.html
    But wanted to start my own thread with some questions and help out some newbies like me.

First off a big thanks for the folks that helped me out here.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post2041579

Coming from macrumors, most people like to post pics so I decided to do the same here.

I had the original iPhone, 3G, 4 and now a white Galaxy S3 since middle of August.

Not a fan of the touchwiz but changed the launcher using Apex (found in play store no need to root). My home screen looks more like HTC Sense.
    Only downside to the Apex launcher not sure for Nova, is that some apps need an extra line of spacing and will get cut off but Touch Wiz will display it correctly.

Notice the font for Apex Menu and Apex Settings is cut off, how do I fix that?
    My Bank of America app carries the same results.
    Long time iPhone user switched to GS3!!-screenshotjpeg_2012-09-06-18-24-24.jpg Long time iPhone user switched to GS3!!-screenshotjpeg_2012-10-03-23-44-06.jpg
    *Using Apex Launcher and HD Widgets

This video helped me big time for Apex

Here are some Pros and Cons for the S3 (won't list them all)

Pro:
    • Large screen size
    • Removable battery / SD card
    • Physical home button
    • Accurate speech typing anywhere a keyboard is used, great for texting
    • Good call quality with available EQ for phone calls!
    • Loud speaker phone
    • Good LTE speeds in LA and OC varies city to city.
    • Included in earphones are much better than the iPhone, can't speak for the revised "earpods"
    • Almost anyone has a micro-usb cable/charger laying around vs lightning bolt

Con:
    • Battery life not as great as iPhone 4 most likely due to my residence being located in a weak LTE zone, so the phone continually searches for a LTE signal. Wish there is a switch to turn that off. iPhone 5 may give me the same results as well.
    • Can't see screen in direct sunlight
    • Prefer separate volume buttons vs rocker style
    • S-Voice not on par with SIRI but Jelly Bean with Google Now should address that. However, I am content with Ice Cream Sandwich.
    • Need Android specific head/ear phones I personally love the Bose in ears. MFI (Made for iPod) won't play nice with the S3
      *edit* the volume control will not work.
      Bose IE2 Headphones - Audio Headphones - Bose Headsets and Headphones
    • Can't move apps to the "real" SD card, in the system the S3 displays 2 SD cards. sdcard= storage inside phone extSdCard= removable storage

Anyone know if it will be possible to move apps to the removable SD card??

Accessories:
    Bought a partial metal back door from ebay
    If anyone is interested in getting the same thing, provided tracking number and took 2 weeks to deliver to So Cal.
    Aluminum Back Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 / i9300 (White/Grey) | eBay

The oem one is on the left side for comparison, notice the aftermarket has an extra notch on the right side.
    Both snap very well and is easy to take off but the oem has more flex when removing since it's thinner.
    Long time iPhone user switched to GS3!!-img_3044.jpg Long time iPhone user switched to GS3!!-img_3048.jpg Long time iPhone user switched to GS3!!-img_3052.jpg

With the metal cover it kills my wifi pretty good but celluar and GPS reception is fine. This will also prevent you from using NFC.

Next cases on my list to buy...
    iface revolution (beware of fakes on ebay, the real deal runs for ~$27)

Long time iPhone user switched to GS3!!-iface_s3_revo_main-4-.jpg Long time iPhone user switched to GS3!!-revolution_galaxys3.jpg

imymee tank

Long time iPhone user switched to GS3!!-imymee-tank.png

Hope this helps out any new Android/GS3 owner
    XChrisX, Dukins, emathed and 3 others like this.
    10-04-2012 03:55 AM
    I commend you for being the first person to make a iphone user thread that isn't useless

On my Samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.0

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens
    10-04-2012 04:37 AM
    With root there is a mod that allows that. Other than that, no. Its a feature introduced in ICS and it also encrypts paid apps. Its nice for app devs and all but when you get a paid cm10 theme chooser theme and you LOVE it except for a few things (battery icon, status bar alarm icon) it becomes incredibly annoying.
    10-04-2012 10:47 AM
    I was an iPhone user switched to GS3 and I LOVE it so much better!! But as for some of your Cons

- Can't see in direct sunlight....raising the brightness does help you see clearly in the sunlight....if you get a brightness switcher app, you coulf put a widget on your phone with specified brightness levels so that with just a click, your phone brightness will increase for sunlight and another click on the widget and it will go back to normal...so useful!

- Android specific headphone....that shouldn't be the case, you should be able to use any headphones with the GS3...I'm not sure why your Bose wouldnt work
    10-04-2012 11:03 AM
    Another new Con came across my mind today.

While playing music through bluetooth audio any notification sound would momentarily pause the music, make the alert sound then play the music again. The iPhone in that case would blend the alert sound with the music with out any interruption of the music. Any remedies?

Smooth4lyfe:
    - There was a recent update I downloaded through ATT which added the brightness slider to the notifications window. Just another method w/o installing a widget.
    - Your right about the headphones, it's just the volume control won't work The 2 I tried out were the Beats and SOL headphones.
    10-04-2012 09:40 PM
    thats just the standard android way of notifying during music mate. doesnt the music start again where it left off though?
    only remedy i know is to set phone to vibrate using the handy pull down toggles when u got tunes on

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    VelfarreClubber likes this.
    10-04-2012 11:38 PM
    Ill try to answer one of your questions. Nova Launcher does not cut off words and its faster imo. Nova has the proper spacing needed.
    10-05-2012 07:55 AM
    I'll second Soundtrack to Chaos's sentiment... Thanks for introducing a very constructive thread. Good job!
    Battery life not as great as iPhone 4 most likely due to my residence being located in a weak LTE zone, so the phone continually searches for a LTE signal. Wish there is a switch to turn that off.
    Actually, there are ways to turn off 4G, and from what I've been reading the method varies depending on your carrier (no root required). If you're willing to share who your service is with I might be able to point you in the right direction? Or you can do a forum search, there are numerous postings on the topic.

Also... I had my eye on the iFace Revolution case as well. If you pick one up I'd be really interested in hearing your thoughts on it.
    10-05-2012 09:17 AM
    Very useful topic when I get my S3 on my next upgrade.
    VelfarreClubber likes this.
    10-05-2012 09:35 AM
    I left my 4s in the dust for the GS3 and I'm so happy I did. I feel like I went to rehab to kick a bad habit.

Willie C
    geekymcfly and funkylogik like this.
    10-05-2012 06:25 PM
    Copied this post in response to http://forums.androidcentral.com/rum...le-user-2.html
    But wanted to start my own thread with some questions and help out some newbies like me.

First off a big thanks for the folks that helped me out here.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post2041579

Coming from macrumors, most people like to post pics so I decided to do the same here.

I had the original iPhone, 3G, 4 and now a white Galaxy S3 since middle of August.

Not a fan of the touchwiz but changed the launcher using Apex (found in play store no need to root). My home screen looks more like HTC Sense.
    Only downside to the Apex launcher not sure for Nova, is that some apps need an extra line of spacing and will get cut off but Touch Wiz will display it correctly.

Notice the font for Apex Menu and Apex Settings is cut off, how do I fix that?
    My Bank of America app carries the same results.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenshotJPEG_2012-09-06-18-24-24.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	39704 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenshotJPEG_2012-10-03-23-44-06.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	39705
    *Using Apex Launcher and HD Widgets

This video helped me big time for Apex

Here are some Pros and Cons for the S3 (won't list them all)

Pro:
    • Large screen size
    • Removable battery / SD card
    • Physical home button
    • Accurate speech typing anywhere a keyboard is used, great for texting
    • Good call quality with available EQ for phone calls!
    • Loud speaker phone
    • Good LTE speeds in LA and OC varies city to city.
    • Included in earphones are much better than the iPhone, can't speak for the revised "earpods"
    • Almost anyone has a micro-usb cable/charger laying around vs lightning bolt

Con:
    • Battery life not as great as iPhone 4 most likely due to my residence being located in a weak LTE zone, so the phone continually searches for a LTE signal. Wish there is a switch to turn that off. iPhone 5 may give me the same results as well.
    • Can't see screen in direct sunlight
    • Prefer separate volume buttons vs rocker style
    • S-Voice not on par with SIRI but Jelly Bean with Google Now should address that. However, I am content with Ice Cream Sandwich.
    • Need Android specific head/ear phones I personally love the Bose in ears. MFI (Made for iPod) won't play nice with the S3
      *edit* the volume control will not work.
      Bose IE2 Headphones - Audio Headphones - Bose Headsets and Headphones
    • Can't move apps to the "real" SD card, in the system the S3 displays 2 SD cards. sdcard= storage inside phone extSdCard= removable storage

Accessories:
    Bought a partial metal back door from ebay
    If anyone is interested in getting the same thing, provided tracking number and took 2 weeks to deliver to So Cal.
    Aluminum Back Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 / i9300 (White/Grey) | eBay

The oem one is on the left side for comparison, notice the aftermarket has an extra notch on the right side.
    Both snap very well and is easy to take off but the oem has more flex when removing since it's thinner.

Name:	IMG_3044.JPG 
Views:	283 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	39706 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3048.JPG 
Views:	280 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	39707 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3052.JPG 
Views:	276 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	39708

With the metal cover it kills my wifi pretty good but celluar and GPS reception is fine. This will also prevent you from using NFC.

Next cases on my list to buy...
    iface revolution (beware of fakes on ebay, the real deal runs for ~$27)

Name:	iFace_S3_Revo_Main (4).jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	39713 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	revolution_galaxys3.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	39714

imymee tank

Name:	imymee tank.png 
Views:	276 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	39717

Hope this helps out any new Android/GS3 owner
    Actually, an app called Phone Info will let you turn off the LTE radio and go 3G only. I have the same problem in a small market that is just rolling out LTE but is not "officially" an LTE market yet. I get intermittent 4G icons, get better than 3G speeds but not LTE (when I went to a true LTE market got anywhere between 10-24 Mbps up, 8+ down and I only get about 2 up in my small town). Phone info is easy to use and free with no ads in the market.
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-05-2012 07:19 PM
    After 4 years of iphones and 2 months of GS3 I would highly recommend an extended life battery, which makes the phone thicker, heavier and feel more solid. However, there is currently only one case that will fit the extended battery. CPU tuner app helped extend my stock battery to about 8 hours of use. With the extended battery... I haven't gotten it below 45% on a full days of use 12+ hours... so its an awesome upgrade.
    Battery: Amazon.com: Hyperion Samsung Galaxy S3 4200mAh Extended Battery + White Back Cover (Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-i9300, AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung i747, Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung i535, T-mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung T999,
    Case that fits battery: Amazon.com: Hyperion Samsung Galaxy S3 Extended Battery HoneyComb TPU Case -Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I also can't stand how the android pauses the music for a second to play the notification tone. It also plays the notification tone on the speaker, rather through my headphones... Any fix for that?

My Ipad LTE destroys the LTE on my Android. For some reason I can't get above 10mbps down on the s3, yet my Ipad gets 24+mbps... Same network, same location.
    I did use Nova Launcher, and then tried Apex, but the additional memory usage from these is just not worth it to me over touchwiz.

One app that I absouletley love on my S3 is Llama!! AMAZING!! You can have your phone do certain tasks based upon location. Like when I arrive at work, it sets my phone to silent automatically... Awesome! Especially since its a pain in the *** to set the phone to silent, wish it had a toggle like the Iphone. You could also set it to increase your brightness to max if you're not at home or work.
    LLAMA: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ab.Llama&hl=en

NFC is cool, but same idea as llama based upon setting your phone on a NFC token at the home or office.
    And if you're a gamer, get the sixaxis app for your games. This is the only thing that kept me on my S3 and not switching to Iphone5
    VelfarreClubber and Elaldeano like this.
    10-05-2012 07:22 PM
    does anyone on here regret not waiting for ip5? (be honest!)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    10-05-2012 07:28 PM

I've had nothing but iphones, and when I saw the disappointment of a phone the 5 was in sold all my devices and got the samsung. No regrets. I was tired of jail breaking to get my phones to do what android could out of the box. I admit it. I've been a fan boy and I'm sorry lol

Willie C
    anneemonster and funkylogik like this.
    10-05-2012 07:36 PM
    no apologies necesory on here bud
    well done

10-05-2012 08:50 PM
    I switched from a 4S just over a month ago, of course I knew the 5 was inbound. I wasn't positive how I'd feel given this was my first Android phone.

Honestly, after finally getting time to play with the 5 I couldn't be happier. I was sort of shocked I felt no regret or gadget envy at all. The screen felt bizarre, as thin as my old phone but stretched long. The weight was nothing but it lacked the wonderful solid, almost luxury feel of the 4S. There were no shocking features and iOS was so little changed.

I think this has ended up being one of the most satisfying tech purchases or upgrades I've ever made. I love the S3, it goes in my doodad hall of fame. I have an ipad 3 and it's wonderful, but I'm even more thrilled with my phone.
    10-05-2012 10:33 PM
    Long time iPhone user switched to GS3!!-uploadfromtaptalk1349498029754.jpg

10-05-2012 11:33 PM
    Ill try to answer one of your questions. Nova Launcher does not cut off words and its faster imo. Nova has the proper spacing needed.
    Thanks I'll give that a shot.

I'll second Soundtrack to Chaos's sentiment... Thanks for introducing a very constructive thread. Good job!

Actually, there are ways to turn off 4G, and from what I've been reading the method varies depending on your carrier (no root required). If you're willing to share who your service is with I might be able to point you in the right direction? Or you can do a forum search, there are numerous postings on the topic.

Also... I had my eye on the iFace Revolution case as well. If you pick one up I'd be really interested in hearing your thoughts on it.
    Will make a review once I get the case. I have AT&T btw.
    10-06-2012 10:53 PM
    After 4 years of iphones and 2 months of GS3 I would highly recommend an extended life battery, which makes the phone thicker, heavier and feel more solid. However, there is currently only one case that will fit the extended battery. CPU tuner app helped extend my stock battery to about 8 hours of use. With the extended battery... I haven't gotten it below 45% on a full days of use 12+ hours... so its an awesome upgrade.
    Battery: Amazon.com: Hyperion Samsung Galaxy S3 4200mAh Extended Battery + White Back Cover (Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-i9300, AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung i747, Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung i535, T-mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung T999,
    Case that fits battery: Amazon.com: Hyperion Samsung Galaxy S3 Extended Battery HoneyComb TPU Case -Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I also can't stand how the android pauses the music for a second to play the notification tone. It also plays the notification tone on the speaker, rather through my headphones... Any fix for that?

My Ipad LTE destroys the LTE on my Android. For some reason I can't get above 10mbps down on the s3, yet my Ipad gets 24+mbps... Same network, same location.
    I did use Nova Launcher, and then tried Apex, but the additional memory usage from these is just not worth it to me over touchwiz.

One app that I absouletley love on my S3 is Llama!! AMAZING!! You can have your phone do certain tasks based upon location. Like when I arrive at work, it sets my phone to silent automatically... Awesome! Especially since its a pain in the *** to set the phone to silent, wish it had a toggle like the Iphone. You could also set it to increase your brightness to max if you're not at home or work.
    LLAMA: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ab.Llama&hl=en

NFC is cool, but same idea as llama based upon setting your phone on a NFC token at the home or office.
    And if you're a gamer, get the sixaxis app for your games. This is the only thing that kept me on my S3 and not switching to Iphone5
    -My battery life did improve over time after the minor software update, I also got a replacement phone under warranty because of random bluetooth drops and weak inconsistent wifi signal. The new fixed phone fixed all my issues. I also got to keep my old battery and expecting a brand new one in the mail, just need to buy a battery dock now.

-The interruption of music does suck but when my phone is in DJ mode at a house party I'm gonna leave vibrate mode on. Totally seems like a software thing we'll see if JB address that.

-I don't know what network your on but the fastest I got on LTE was 20mbs (AT&T) in Anaheim CA

-Llama looks pretty dope the profile settings remind me of my old Samsung Blackjack 1 and 2, thanks for the tip

-Gaming is amazing I plan to buy the gameklip and connect my dualshock 3 controller with it probably a lot more fun with FPS shooters. Right now I'm playing Mario Kart 64 with Mupen64Plus which I find works the best on the S3.
    Mupen64Plus
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...jY0cGx1c2FlIl0.
    10-06-2012 11:12 PM
    Another case to buy

Oh man I saw this the other day and can't wait for it's release! Probably the sickest / best looking case that beats others on the market at the moment. This is good news for GS3 owners with it's success some big name case manufacturers are aware and producing some good s***

Long time iPhone user switched to GS3!!-element-case-gs-.jpg

According to Element Case it's a pre-production sample. Would be nice if there are 3 separate cut outs for the back.
    Wall Photos | Facebook
    Element Case Will Surround the Galaxy! | Element Case News

Just take my money!
    10-06-2012 11:24 PM
    im scared still to plug my s3 into an amp at a party incase it ends up in same state as my CDs lol

10-06-2012 11:36 PM
    Hi guys, I'm also a new Android owner after years of ios. I wanted to know if using launchers like Apex or Nova reduced or maybe increased battery consumption?

Also, I have been looking for a good starting guide to Android. I'm a tech guy and I love to understand the software I play with. I'm looking to maybe root in the future. So, if any of you have a suggestion please by all means pm me or something. Very appreciated

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-06-2012 11:44 PM
    From my experience using the Apex launcher has not reduced battery life or performance on my phone. I got the pro version so it can notify me how many missed calls / texts I received above the phone and messaging app.

Welcome to the forums
    Elaldeano likes this.
    10-07-2012 12:05 AM
    Welcome to the forums
    +1 mate.
    this isnt the techyest of forums but hope someone will give you some good links

10-07-2012 12:29 AM
    Long time iPhone user switched to GS3!!-uploadfromtaptalk1349587951860.jpg
    Go Launcher is usin 1% of my batt' as you can see but Go is a bit out-dated and everyones using Nova Prime or Apex now, i just have to get round to playing with Nova.
    Go is completely free though with all (i think) the features of Nova Prime

Elaldeano likes this.
    10-07-2012 12:35 AM
41 12