Scratches, scratches, scratches...

Papadakis

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what's going on with this gorilla glass 2, but I have to say it's not doing a very good job of being scratch resistant. I've said this many times, but with my D2G which I've had for the past almost 2 years before getting this, I have very very few tiny tiny scratches which I can barely see unless I hold it perfectly right and the light catches them. I've had the GS3 for just about 3 months and it has an unacceptable amount of noticeable scratches on it. I always place down it face up, it sits in my pockets by itself and I have never dropped it or done anything that could possibly scratch it. I've dropped my D2G a handful of times, purposely tried to scratch it just for kicks, and the GS3 has more scratches. Disappointed. Anyone else noticing this?

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
No scratches here. It sits on my desk all day and in my pocket with no keys or sharp objects otherwise. Ive had mine since July with a slim case on the backside and nothing on the front side.

byeblackberry

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No screen protector here and it's in and out of my front pocket all day. Not 1 scratch.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No screen protector here and it's in and out of my front pocket all day. Not 1 scratch.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

This for me to. OP you say in a pocket by itself, no drops, and you lay it down with the screen facing up yet get scratches? Either your phone is magical, you have some insane nails, or your lieing some. Scratches cannot just appear on a phone out of thin air...

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC fourms

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
can we please have a Stickie for these gorilla glass on s3 threads @Mods?
merge them and maybe we can get something to hit samsung with?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
This for me to. OP you say in a pocket by itself, no drops, and you lay it down with the screen facing up yet get scratches? Either your phone is magical, you have some insane nails, or your lieing some. Scratches cannot just appear on a phone out of thin air...

same as me mate but ive read so many scratch storys on here that i believe the op

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Papadakis

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not lying about how I treat my phone, and no. I don't have sand it my pockets... I don't like screen protectors, and the I don't think they're necessary with gorilla glass(but apparently not with GG2 on the GS3). My Droid 2 for example has been typically used over the past 2 years, like I said and it shows general wear and tear, and it has very few tiny scratches. I think something's up either on samsung or corning's side.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I for one use a case and screen protector. Better safe then sorry IMO. I can recommend the Otter box Defender case.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not lying about how I treat my phone, and no. I don't have sand it my pockets... I don't like screen protectors, and the I don't think they're necessary with gorilla glass(but apparently not with GG2 on the GS3). My Droid 2 for example has been typically used over the past 2 years, like I said and it shows general wear and tear, and it has very few tiny scratches. I think something's up either on samsung or corning's side.

If it was samsung my phone would be just as scratched. Gorilla glass doesn't mean invincible... So I'd stop focusing so hard on it.

My phone is 100% scratch free since I keep it in its own pocket with nothing at all in that pocket, have a case (no screen protector. I don't like them), and just generally always place it in a safe spot. I've even dropped it 2 times on accident and I'm good.

So sorry it's hard for me to believe you just went to bed.. Wake up and are like oh snap scratches. Just doesn't make logical sense. Has to be something that your doing / handling the phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Honestly sitting here thinking about it it could be caused by something that you don't even realize is doing it such as a screen cleaner or screen cleaning cloth. Do you use any of these? Have you may ever used a paper towel (some are rough) which could do it? There are so many factors..

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
or theres two different qualitys of batch of gg2 for the s3 because it wasnt expected to be in such demand so fast.
every part of mine is scratched or chipped except the glass

Papadakis

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying they just appeared last night, I just happened to notice them more and more as time went on, and I just rub it off on cotton shirts. I hope a cotton shirt wouldn't be cleaning it too hard... And I understand how some of you don't believe me, I didnt know how people scratched gorilla glass but now I've got them first hand

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying they just appeared last night, I just happened to notice them more and more as time went on, and I just rub it off on cotton shirts. I hope a cotton shirt wouldn't be cleaning it too hard... And I understand how some of you don't believe me, I didnt know how people scratched gorilla glass but now I've got them first hand

mate if you look through this forum for threads about the glass on some s3s youll see why i totally beleave you. people have posted pics.
on other hand, the glass is the only part of my 5month old phone thats good as new.... its weird eh

Kizzmocat

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
I refuse to comment on scratches due to Murphys law #1334, which states;" as soon as you say you never get scratches, guess what? Ha ha your screwed now buddy", so please, do not, for any reason, mess with Murphys law and your monkey glass should be fine! :banghead:

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude