Scratches, scratches, scratches...

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
funkylogix,

I have a i9300T, which is now a i9300 after going to Jelly Bean...

Tell you what though, I do like the Team GB Olympic covers I saw when I went back home for a holiday this summer... especially the blue one, with the Union Jack, I'm a patriot... if I had one of those, then i wouldn't use a skin on the battery cover... Haven't seen any of those here in Bangkok...

Rasta4i

lol im VERY anti-UK so the union flag (its only called union jack when its on a ship) is a total NO for me mate lol ;)

p.s, think ive seen union flag cases and skins mate.
my loyalist friend has union flag case on his BB lol :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

djgadget

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
hahaha.... I figured that from your Signature... "Scotland, Europe"... If we can't have a laugh, what's the point... no matter what... British Humor is the best in the world... ask anyone...

Rasta4i

Madness87

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Comparison with other phones is irrelevant. No other phone that has a thin 4.8" LED with gorilla glass 2 exists. Maybe it's applied thinner than in your other phones. I've found it to be surprisingly capable, but once I took that geology class and saw just how many materials exist in our world that scratch glass, I've always gotten a screen protector within the first few days of use.

Most people have no reason not to, Amazon sells cheap static cling protectors for less than $3. I would think a phone that costs $200-$600 dollars deserves at least that much. Corning has never stated it's gorilla glass 2 was unscratchable, it's just people propagating that myth. Any material that is not diamond will scratch, and even a small piece of coarse dust, swiped under your finger could scratch the screen.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Scratch resistance does not mean scratch proof man,they make screen protectors phone ever phone even if it is gorilla glass for a reason.
*Usuing zagg hd and otterbox defender on mine,no scratches.

Sent from my S3:)

FBPD10

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I have to a Seido case with kickstand and no screen protector. I had one but removed it. I've had mine since Aug and I had a case on it 2 days after it was out of the box. No screen scratches as of yet and I don't worry about it.

Sent from my SGH-T999

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
why not wait on one of the new colours?
or sell your new one and put a coloured decal skin on the old one? ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Don't like the other colours, I'm a red girl. If the hubby doesn't like the phone I will end up selling the blue one anyway.

I got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
It is still interesting how some people never use a screen protector and for years not even a tiny scratch. Yet some people have the phone and within the day of owning it get a scratch...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

toddydogood

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had the same experience as the OP. Came from a storm 2 which I had for 2 years without a scratch on the glass, GS3 gets several scratches within the first month. Same type of use, same pockets, ect. Now I am basically forced to use a screen protector and case and never needed either with the storm.

gta50419

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Scratch resistance does not mean scratch proof man,they make screen protectors phone ever phone even if it is gorilla glass for a reason.
*Usuing zagg hd and otterbox defender on mine,no scratches.

Sent from my S3:)
it's barely scratch resistant...at all.
I really think samsung lied about putting gg2 in that phone.

No way the glass can take that type of torture from the videos on youtube but crack from a little 2 foot fall.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
it's barely scratch resistant...at all.
I really think samsung lied about putting gg2 in that phone.

No way the glass can take that type of torture from the videos on youtube but crack from a little 2 foot fall.

I don't know how much of an improvement gg2 is from gg but we all know gg tend to shatter from drops.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Update:

This morning I was driving into work, as the sun rose at my back and reflected off of the phone mounted on my dash I noticed 3 or 4 hair line scratches. I gave that sad little smile of knowing that day had arrived, new phone isn't new anymore.

Like a lot of you guys I obsess over this thing, but sometimes you just gotta let it go. So here I am, letting it go.

Had I wished I put a screen protector on it...(That I had purchased), ehhh no not really. I couldn't stand the way it felt with the skin on it. Personally Id rather smooth glass over that weird tact even the best screen protectors have. So now I get to obsess over scratches that can only be seen in conditions where the lit screen cant be seen anyway...AAAARRRGH! lol jk. Ill forget it about it, eventually.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
once u get a few harmless scratches, the phone becomes a tool and u start relaxing and appreciate it :)

feenixfly

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The first two things I always get right after I bought the phone is a screen protector--protect from scratches and a case--drop protection(?) (usually a soft shell). So to avoid problems of scratches no matter what type of screen it is (gorilla glass or not), it's always best to get these beforehand.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Update:

This morning I was driving into work, as the sun rose at my back and reflected off of the phone mounted on my dash I noticed 3 or 4 hair line scratches. I gave that sad little smile of knowing that day had arrived, new phone isn't new anymore.

Like a lot of you guys I obsess over this thing, but sometimes you just gotta let it go. So here I am, letting it go.

Had I wished I put a screen protector on it...(That I had purchased), ehhh no not really. I couldn't stand the way it felt with the skin on it. Personally Id rather smooth glass over that weird tact even the best screen protectors have. So now I get to obsess over scratches that can only be seen in conditions where the lit screen cant be seen anyway...AAAARRRGH! lol jk. Ill forget it about it, eventually.

I really struggled with the Spigen Ultra Nano Clear and wasted one of them before getting the 2nd one on somehow. It lasted about a month and started coming off around the top right corner where it met my case (Ballistic SG). Even though I followed (or tried to) the directions I still managed to get scratches on the protector while using the squeegee. So, my S3 screen looked beat up and abused from the 1st day I had it.

After the protector started coming loose I just removed and have gone without a protector till today. I've been a bit nervous as I am good at damaging stuff (not on purpose), and a noticeable scratch or nick would have been bugging me constantly. I don't fault Spigen or the quality of their stuff, but rather acknowledge I'm a failure at applying screen protectors. I didn't imagine it would be this difficult.

Since I've been inviting a scratch to appear the past month or so, finally put the last protector from the Spigen 3-pack on this evening and it looks great. Can't even tell its there so one less thing to worry about. I must admit, though, that my wife did it. She's way better than me on stuff like this.

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I really struggled with the Spigen Ultra Nano Clear and wasted one of them before getting the 2nd one on somehow. It lasted about a month and started coming off around the top right corner where it met my case (Ballistic SG). Even though I followed (or tried to) the directions I still managed to get scratches on the protector while using the squeegee. So, my S3 screen looked beat up and abused from the 1st day I had it.

After the protector started coming loose I just removed and have gone without a protector till today. I've been a bit nervous as I am good at damaging stuff (not on purpose), and a noticeable scratch or nick would have been bugging me constantly. I don't fault Spigen or the quality of their stuff, but rather acknowledge I'm a failure at applying screen protectors. I didn't imagine it would be this difficult.

Since I've been inviting a scratch to appear the past month or so, finally put the last protector from the Spigen 3-pack on this evening and it looks great. Can't even tell its there so one less thing to worry about. I must admit, though, that my wife did it. She's way better than me on stuff like this.

I had also purchased and botched my Spigen install; and trust me, I was careful. Generally I'm pretty good at that stuff. I had a second skin and I knew Spigen would send me another if I had a problem but in the end I just decided I liked it better without a protector. And now that Ive had a day to let my mind settle, honestly I can not see the scratches with the screen on or off in regular conditions. In order to see them at all I have to not only shut off the screen but I have to find a light source of the right color and intensity and angle to see them atall. That being sunlight glare at such an angle and intensity that it would not be possible to see the lit screen if I tried to use the phone.

So in other words...its not a problem for me. I have no plans to use a screen protector even now.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I had also purchased and botched my Spigen install; and trust me, I was careful. Generally I'm pretty good at that stuff. I had a second skin and I knew Spigen would send me another if I had a problem but in the end I just decided I liked it better without a protector. And now that Ive had a day to let my mind settle, honestly I can not see the scratches with the screen on or off in regular conditions. In order to see them at all I have to not only shut off the screen but I have to find a light source of the right color and intensity and angle to see them atall. That being sunlight glare at such an angle and intensity that it would not be possible to see the lit screen if I tried to use the phone.

So in other words...its not a problem for me. I have no plans to use a screen protector even now.

I have the ultra clear too. I actually messed the first one up too but the second protector I installed almost perfectly. I had zero dust and it was lined up perfect. That was about 4 weeks ago. I have now noticed dust has actually imbedded itself in the protector. I have contacted them regarding this so I will wait to hear back. I have also asked about the Glas protector seeing how it seems to have disappeared from amazon.com. If they send me one I will post a review here comparing the two.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

women are great eh :)
wish id let mine put my DealGirl on...

walkingrock

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I have the ultra clear too. I actually messed the first one up too but the second protector I installed almost perfectly. I had zero dust and it was lined up perfect. That was about 4 weeks ago. I have now noticed dust has actually imbedded itself in the protector. I have contacted them regarding this so I will wait to hear back. I have also asked about the Glas protector seeing how it seems to have disappeared from amazon.com. If they send me one I will post a review here comparing the two.

I have the Ultra Nano Clear also, but really want to get the Glas; can't seem to order it from Spigen online, there is no buttons to order it and put in a cart. I've been trying to order it for several days; anybody else having this problem? I sent them an email, but haven't heard back yet. =(

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I have the Ultra Nano Clear also, but really want to get the Glas; can't seem to order it from Spigen online, there is no buttons to order it and put in a cart. I've been trying to order it for several days; anybody else having this problem? I sent them an email, but haven't heard back yet. =(

Same. I'm waiting to hear back too. Seems its not available for some reason... Not on Amazon or ebay either.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995