10-27-2012 02:36 PM
67 123
tools
    I don't know what's going on with this gorilla glass 2, but I have to say it's not doing a very good job of being scratch resistant. I've said this many times, but with my D2G which I've had for the past almost 2 years before getting this, I have very very few tiny tiny scratches which I can barely see unless I hold it perfectly right and the light catches them. I've had the GS3 for just about 3 months and it has an unacceptable amount of noticeable scratches on it. I always place down it face up, it sits in my pockets by itself and I have never dropped it or done anything that could possibly scratch it. I've dropped my D2G a handful of times, purposely tried to scratch it just for kicks, and the GS3 has more scratches. Disappointed. Anyone else noticing this?
    10-04-2012 10:08 AM
    Nope not with mine...maybe you got a lot of sand in your pocket...you should get a screen protector or a case maybe
    10-04-2012 10:44 AM
    I have seen others talk of scratches. I have to wonder, why not get a screen protector? If you are even half as OCD as me you would sell it for a new one with the first scratch.

Spigen makes the SGP ultra nano protector that is pretty close to "no screen protector". Looks and feels great. Highly recommend it.

Amazon.com: SPIGEN SGP Samsung Galaxy S3 Steinheil Ultra Nano CLEAR 3-PACK Screen Protector Cover: Cell Phones & Accessories
    10-04-2012 12:09 PM
    No scratches here. It sits on my desk all day and in my pocket with no keys or sharp objects otherwise. Ive had mine since July with a slim case on the backside and nothing on the front side.
    funkylogik and ansextra like this.
    10-04-2012 12:13 PM
    No screen protector here and it's in and out of my front pocket all day. Not 1 scratch.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-04-2012 01:13 PM
    No screen protector here and it's in and out of my front pocket all day. Not 1 scratch.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    This for me to. OP you say in a pocket by itself, no drops, and you lay it down with the screen facing up yet get scratches? Either your phone is magical, you have some insane nails, or your lieing some. Scratches cannot just appear on a phone out of thin air...

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC fourms
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-04-2012 01:53 PM
    can we please have a Stickie for these gorilla glass on s3 threads @Mods?
    merge them and maybe we can get something to hit samsung with?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    10-04-2012 02:04 PM
    This for me to. OP you say in a pocket by itself, no drops, and you lay it down with the screen facing up yet get scratches? Either your phone is magical, you have some insane nails, or your lieing some. Scratches cannot just appear on a phone out of thin air...

same as me mate but ive read so many scratch storys on here that i believe the op

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    10-04-2012 02:06 PM
    I'm not lying about how I treat my phone, and no. I don't have sand it my pockets... I don't like screen protectors, and the I don't think they're necessary with gorilla glass(but apparently not with GG2 on the GS3). My Droid 2 for example has been typically used over the past 2 years, like I said and it shows general wear and tear, and it has very few tiny scratches. I think something's up either on samsung or corning's side.
    10-04-2012 02:16 PM
    Well I for one use a case and screen protector. Better safe then sorry IMO. I can recommend the Otter box Defender case.
    10-04-2012 02:29 PM
    I'm not lying about how I treat my phone, and no. I don't have sand it my pockets... I don't like screen protectors, and the I don't think they're necessary with gorilla glass(but apparently not with GG2 on the GS3). My Droid 2 for example has been typically used over the past 2 years, like I said and it shows general wear and tear, and it has very few tiny scratches. I think something's up either on samsung or corning's side.
    If it was samsung my phone would be just as scratched. Gorilla glass doesn't mean invincible... So I'd stop focusing so hard on it.

My phone is 100% scratch free since I keep it in its own pocket with nothing at all in that pocket, have a case (no screen protector. I don't like them), and just generally always place it in a safe spot. I've even dropped it 2 times on accident and I'm good.

So sorry it's hard for me to believe you just went to bed.. Wake up and are like oh snap scratches. Just doesn't make logical sense. Has to be something that your doing / handling the phone.

10-04-2012 02:46 PM
    Honestly sitting here thinking about it it could be caused by something that you don't even realize is doing it such as a screen cleaner or screen cleaning cloth. Do you use any of these? Have you may ever used a paper towel (some are rough) which could do it? There are so many factors..

10-04-2012 02:57 PM
    or theres two different qualitys of batch of gg2 for the s3 because it wasnt expected to be in such demand so fast.
    every part of mine is scratched or chipped except the glass

10-04-2012 03:01 PM
    It has to be something you have done probably unintentionally...maybe cleaning it with your shirt too hard or something
    10-04-2012 03:47 PM
    i rub mine on my jeans lol

10-04-2012 04:30 PM
    I'm not saying they just appeared last night, I just happened to notice them more and more as time went on, and I just rub it off on cotton shirts. I hope a cotton shirt wouldn't be cleaning it too hard... And I understand how some of you don't believe me, I didnt know how people scratched gorilla glass but now I've got them first hand
    10-04-2012 05:41 PM
    I second the Defender case on the GS3.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device
    10-04-2012 05:51 PM
    I'm not saying they just appeared last night, I just happened to notice them more and more as time went on, and I just rub it off on cotton shirts. I hope a cotton shirt wouldn't be cleaning it too hard... And I understand how some of you don't believe me, I didnt know how people scratched gorilla glass but now I've got them first hand
    mate if you look through this forum for threads about the glass on some s3s youll see why i totally beleave you. people have posted pics.
    on other hand, the glass is the only part of my 5month old phone thats good as new.... its weird eh

10-04-2012 06:22 PM
    I refuse to comment on scratches due to Murphys law #1334, which states;" as soon as you say you never get scratches, guess what? Ha ha your screwed now buddy", so please, do not, for any reason, mess with Murphys law and your monkey glass should be fine! :banghead:

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    funkylogik and geekymcfly like this.
    10-04-2012 07:23 PM
    d'oh!

10-04-2012 07:39 PM
    +gorillas r apes

Kizzmocat likes this.
    10-04-2012 07:40 PM
    I refuse to comment on scratches due to Murphys law #1334, which states;" as soon as you say you never get scratches, guess what? Ha ha your screwed now buddy", so please, do not, for any reason, mess with Murphys law and your monkey glass should be fine! :banghead:

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    I just got a itty bitty scratch today. It's annoying me. Should of kept the zagg on it. Oh well

"may the odds be in your favor"
    10-04-2012 10:26 PM
    I understand your pain. Anyone who has had a screen on their devices with screens will know. My S3 has yet to be scratched. The phone gets it's own pocket. I don't have a screen protector but I do use a Flip Cover which does the same protection most of the times when closed. Although the Flip Cover gets annoying when taking pictures and rotating the phone sometimes, the cover provides another part to hold when using the phone. There are numerous times I almost dropped my S3 in a toilet or a hard floor. Thank god I had a good grip on the cover.
    10-04-2012 10:48 PM
    I understand your pain. Anyone who has had a screen on their devices with screens will know. My S3 has yet to be scratched. The phone gets it's own pocket. I don't have a screen protector but I do use a Flip Cover which does the same protection most of the times when closed. Although the Flip Cover gets annoying when taking pictures and rotating the phone sometimes, the cover provides another part to hold when using the phone. There are numerous times I almost dropped my S3 in a toilet or a hard floor. Thank god I had a good grip on the cover.
    i use a flip case too when im not at home mate. you should really check out payed version of "wave control" u can set it so that something hovvering over proximity sensor turns it off so with a flip case, u just close it, no power button or nuthin.. its very pimp lol.
    even without a flip case, puttin phone face down or in ur pocket switches it off and it can be set to only be active while screen is on to save power. it hardly uses any power anyway. was developed on an s3
    other than that it has all sorts of music control functions too but i bought it purely for the screen off function (dont be tempted to try a cracked version.... it killed my phone for an hour....scary!

EDIT wow that was a long post lol and i have nothing to gain from it. i should be in the PR business lol

10-04-2012 10:59 PM
    I'm betting most people here have micro scratches they don't even notice. I baby mine but decided to put a protector on after going naked a few weeks. I didn't think I had any scratches and I checked several times under different types of light. I installed the protector in my bathroom under one of the heat lights they have in some bathrooms and that's when I noticed several micro scratches. I babied mine. Never in a pocket with anything else ever.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    10-05-2012 04:59 PM
67 123