Wanting to switch from the iPhone.

Misty Reiko

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, the iPhone's new bigger screen was less than I hoped. I wanted bigger, not just taller, so I picked up the Galaxy to try for 30 days to see if I like it. There's a lot to get used to, but that's part of the fun for me.

There's one thing that's driving me crazy. The keyboard doesn't correct anything. I hate predictive text. That's not what I'm talking about.

What im takking about is this. Tge iphone capitalizes "i" automaticslly, puts tge comma in contractions, can recognize that "tge" isnt a word, and underlines misdpellings if it doesnt correct tgem outright. I can accept tge inaccuracy inherent in siftware keyboatds if it helps you out, but this either has oredictive text ir youre titalky on your iwn. Also, if you want to correct someyhing from earluer, getting the cursor in the right placd is horrebdously difficult.

I left the mistakes in to point out that the last paragraph would've been perfect on the iPhone.

I came here because I want to love this phone, not bash it, so am I missing something? Is there a settings option I didn't find. I saw in another thread oeople talk about apps that help with predictive text, but I don't want that. Is there one that has better auto-correction?

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The stock Samsung keyboard is pretty awful. Swiftkey and Thumb Keyboard are two great alternatives that are available in the Play Store. They cost a few bucks, but, in my opinion, both are worth it. Being able to customize your keyboard is a nice difference between between stock Android and stock iOS.

Sent from my SGSIII

gvXVI

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I too am feeling the same as the OP. However, I installed the Swiftkey 3 Pro keyboard and I've loved everything about it. I still have the same issues as the OP though. I turned off the setting on SwiftKey that makes the space button automatically insert the correction, because it was more annoying than useful for me. But now, whenever I type "I" it doesn't auto-cap it, or when I type "I'm" it doesn't insert the ' automatically. The only way it does it is if I turn that setting back on, but when that setting is on, I end up inserting random "predicted" words when I text.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to say, but I think you'll be disappointed with Android. Other keyboards do provide a better experience, but much of that is through predictive text (for example, you'll get a predicted list that includes contractions that you've used). Capitalization is slightly better, but I haven't seen any keyboard that underlines words that you've misspelled. And the cursor placement to edit other text is touchy.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, the iPhone's new bigger screen was less than I hoped. I wanted bigger, not just taller, so I picked up the Galaxy to try for 30 days to see if I like it. There's a lot to get used to, but that's part of the fun for me.

There's one thing that's driving me crazy. The keyboard doesn't correct anything. I hate predictive text. That's not what I'm talking about.

What im takking about is this. Tge iphone capitalizes "i" automaticslly, puts tge comma in contractions, can recognize that "tge" isnt a word, and underlines misdpellings if it doesnt correct tgem outright. I can accept tge inaccuracy inherent in siftware keyboatds if it helps you out, but this either has oredictive text ir youre titalky on your iwn. Also, if you want to correct someyhing from earluer, getting the cursor in the right placd is horrebdously difficult.

I left the mistakes in to point out that the last paragraph would've been perfect on the iPhone.

I came here because I want to love this phone, not bash it, so am I missing something? Is there a settings option I didn't find. I saw in another thread oeople talk about apps that help with predictive text, but I don't want that. Is there one that has better auto-correction?

It's never a good idea to switch to a different platform if you're expecting it to be the same as the previous. The keyboard can be frustrating, but you will either have to learn to accept the predictive text, or if it's a deal breaker, go back to iPhone. People say they are ready for change, and then they get frustrated that things are different.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Beyond Fire

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
OP, you download swiftkey keyboard and give it a try. It has none if the problems you mentioned.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

droidguy15

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
OP: If you go through the settings in SwiftKey, you will find a setting called "typing style." You will want to make sure it's set to Rapid. I find that easier to use. And keep in mind, the more you use SwiftKey, the less you will type. I can type most sentences by using only the first or second letter of each word. It really is a great app, you just need some time for it to learn your typing style.

Welcome to Android. I had an iphone for 3 months until I switched - and I never looked back. That was 3 years ago.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Misty Reiko

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all. I'm giving swift keyboard a try. I like the phone as a whole, so hopefully it'll fix my problem. So far it is much better. <3

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree to use SwiftKey keyboard... It's WAY better than the stock Android keyboard... Just download it from the Google Play store and switch it in settings... U can also add themes to it!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Another popular is Swype. If you're a multitasker/ one hand phone person. Then it's the keyboard for you. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to have words that are spelled wrong have a red line under them like on Apple (probably some patent prevents android from having it). With the right keyboard you will barely have any mistakes though.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Swiftkey 3 is far superior to the iPhone's keyboard. As Droidguy15 up above recommended, set the typing style to rapid and then go into the setting and change the "Spacebar will..." setting (under Advanced) to "complete the current word" and then make sure "Quick "."" is checked so double tapping the spacebar gives you a period. Swiftkey 3 is well worth paying for and they frequently run half off sales, plus you can try the 30 day trial.

Rev.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all. I'm giving swift keyboard a try. I like the phone as a whole, so hopefully it'll fix my problem. So far it is much better. <3

Hope it works. If not, install a stock Jelly Bean keyboard from the market. Works amazingly for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to have words that are spelled wrong have a red line under them like on Apple (probably some patent prevents android from having it)

Not likely, Blackberry has it too, probably did before the iPhone.

Rev.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
(stock reply to everyone new to android lol)
dont use any of the out-the-box apps unless youre 100% happy with them. nearly everything can be changed and for free in a LOT of cases :)
just treat it as a chunk of hardware and put whatever sms,keyboard,browser,email,homescreen, etc app you like on it :)
welcome to android btw :beer:

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

bogeyx5

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Give Smart Keyboard Pro a spin if you can. I tried the other popular keyboard apps but always go back to SKP. I do like how well Swiftkey can accurately predict your next word though.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Give Smart Keyboard Pro a spin if you can. I tried the other popular keyboard apps but always go back to SKP. I do like how well Swiftkey can accurately predict your next word though.

+1 for Smart Keyboard pro but only because its the best "t9" format keyboard
uploadfromtaptalk1349581288824.jpg

-1 for the developer support... its non existant :(
ive even mailed them askin for a refund if they dont reply to my bug email but no reply.. their forum is just as bad. im not allowed to condone downloading a pirate version...

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes