GS3 earbud text problem

Sourborn

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I just got a GS3 last Sunday and have noticed a very irritating bug... when I get a text it plays through the phone speakers but not through the actual ear buds.

I tried looking around but could not find a setting to change anywhere in the os. Is this something permanently built into the phone? It's kind a of a PITA because it's noise cancelling earbuds and the volume control affects both the music and text tone volume simultaneously, so people can hear my phone going off but I cant. Very annoying in class or when trying to study in a library!

Is this just an OS bug or is this really an overlooked issue? :'(

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Are you using the stock Messaging app? Excuse my ignorance, but does it automatically read TMs out loud if you have headphones plugged in? Or are you using another app to enable that?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Sourborn

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Just using the stock text messaging app. It plays the sound through the ear buds as well actually- but it also plays through the phone. Is there no way for it to auto detect sound output?

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I wish you could set it for headphones only

On my Samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.0

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i use Speak It app and it reads through the earbuds (its hard on battery so i only turn it on while walkin around listnin to music.
ps are you usin the stock earbuds? EDIT: sounds like you arent but dont know if that matters..
pps i use Go Sms so dont know if thats whats making the difference....
try Speak It... if that dont work, try Go Sms (so much better than stock if u spend an hour customising it)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Sourborn

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I am still using the default ear buds.

I tried GoSMS Pro and still had the same issue. I am not concerned about the phone actually reading the text to me, just more interested in how to actually make it so the phone plays all sound ONLY through the earbuds when connected- all sound through the phone speaker when not connected.

I recently jumped over to Android from the iPh4 and it did this no problem. My previous BlackBerry had no problems with this either. I dont want to return this beautiful phone but at the same time I find it completely unacceptable to have to put your phone on vibrate even when I have headphones on. Are there any apps in particular that could remedy this problem?

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
right do you mean the alert sound mate? thought you meant the phone actualy reading the text to you sorry.
yeah think my alert plays through the phone speaker AND my earbuds but not sure..
...id tap the volume key and press the settings cog and set alert sond to zero then maybe youl only get it in your ears, either that or theres probz a Tasker recepie.
plus i know theres some sound profile apps to toggle individual types of sound (alert, media, etc) so check that out :)
p.s, if there isnt (there most probably is) an app for it, i wouldnt let having to pull down the notification toggles and selecting vibrate (about a second at most) make me get all glazed eyes over it not bein an iphone lol :p

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
this is a total longshot but have you tryed messin with this audio output mode setting?
uploadfromtaptalk1349577980139.jpg

doubt itl work since its probably more of a usb than headphone jack thing..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1