Charging while outputting music with one cable?

johnny340

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
When I get in my car I want to hook up only one cable to charge my SGS3 and output the music to my Aux In stereo input on my car stereo. I don't need a fancy 'dock' to hold the phone.
1. Is there a mini USB cable that will split to a male USB for charging and a male 3.5mm stereo for Aux input to my car stereo that will do this?
2. Do I need a Digital to Analogue Converter device? Is one available that will also charge the phone?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
1. I haven't seen anything like you're describing - charge cable + audio out is the only solution I'm familiar with unless you utilize a dock.
2. No

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

johnny340

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
1. I haven't seen anything like you're describing - charge cable + audio out is the only solution I'm familiar with unless you utilize a dock.
2. No

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I've seen the iBolt dock and it has only one connection to the mini USB on the phone, yet it has a 3.5mm stereo output jack so there must be just a cable option for this charging/aux out setup.

Also, will I notice much improvement in audio quality if I use DAC device between my phone and my Aux In to the stereo? (I know most are intended for non powered earphones and speakers.)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
id just use the headphone jack man, find a sweet-spot in the phone volume, too low+the stereo will "humm" too high+itl distort.
its what i do with my amp at home

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Well I bought a custom stereo system for my car which has an aux port so I plug my phone via 3mm to 3mm cable to play my music and have the cigarette hole available to charge my phone

If your car has 2 cigarette holes, you can get a fm transmitter to play your music and use the other hole to connect a charger which is what I used to do

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
think you can get cig' lighter 2way adaptors

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
on my ancient Nokia N95 i had a radio transmitter that plugged into headphone jack and u just tuned the car radio into it.
very low-tec but great for confusing our protestant boss/van driver by playing irish rebel music through it :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear, you're not trying to use your USB out as an audio out correct? Because that isn't possible.

What you should do is invest in a Bluetooth aux input and stream your music wirelessly.

www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=car+aux+bluetooth+adapter

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

true, with aux/phono IN the usb wouldnt work would it since its a digital output (hsdpa?)
unless the head unit has hsdpd input

johnny340

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear, you're not trying to use your USB out as an audio out correct? Because that isn't possible.

What you should do is invest in a Bluetooth aux input and stream your music wirelessly.

car aux bluetooth adapter - Walmart.com

Yes, I was talking about using the USB as an audio out like Digital to Analogue Converters do. There is really nothing available for car use?? I don't want to hook up two cables every time I hop in my car....I suppose the blue tooth input method could be a workaround. My car stereo already has an Aux input so I don't want to use an FM transmitter. Is the bluetooth audio quality as bad as FM transmitters? What about Bluetooth charging for the phone....is that available?

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I was talking about using the USB as an audio out like Digital to Analogue Converters do. There is really nothing available for car use?? I don't want to hook up two cables every time I hop in my car....I suppose the blue tooth input method could be a workaround. My car stereo already has an Aux input so I don't want to use an FM transmitter. Is the bluetooth audio quality as bad as FM transmitters? What about Bluetooth charging for the phone....is that available?

The short explanation is that the cable is not made or capable to do both. This is a big reason why Apple uses proprietary cables and won't switch to mini USB (also they can nickel and dime their customers at the same time).

Bluetooth audio sounds great and nothing like an FM transmitter. Of course an audiophile could argue this, but I promise, it will be as good as an aux cable (I stream my music over BT to my Ford Flex).

Wireless charging is a whole other beast. It doesn't use BT but it's own wavelength and at the moment your only option to do so is to essentially hack your battery. Samsung has a kit on the way but even than your phone will need to be touching the induction pad. Wireless non-touching charging is being developed but I imagine we won't see it for a few more years, and by that time you'll be using a Galaxy S10.

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

I know you are not looking for a dock, but the ibolt does exactly what you are looking for, but ONLY in the dock, if you use the cable without the dock, it does not work (weird).

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I know you are not looking for a dock, but the ibolt does exactly what you are looking for, but ONLY in the dock, if you use the cable without the dock, it does not work (weird).

not really weird bro.. as JAJ says, it has to turn a bunch of 1s and 0s (digital) into an actual sound signal which can be amplified ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
So has does the sound get to the HDMI device (TV) thru the one and only port out then? Apple's usb adapter carry's the audio to head units.

theres a samsung cable that plugs into the micro usb and converts to hdmi. its wired differently from every other one including the s2 so you have to make sure its compatible with s3 (dont just take someones word for it in a shop/store)

SirCodyAtl

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
This is possible, I just did detailed research and if you will go to the iBolt website that makes the car Charging Dock for the S3's you'll see how it's done.

SirCodyAtl

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
When I get in my car I want to hook up only one cable to charge my SGS3 and output the music to my Aux In stereo input on my car stereo. I don't need a fancy 'dock' to hold the phone.
1. Is there a mini USB cable that will split to a male USB for charging and a male 3.5mm stereo for Aux input to my car stereo that will do this?
2. Do I need a Digital to Analogue Converter device? Is one available that will also charge the phone?

This is possible, I just did detailed research and if you will go to the iBolt website that makes the car Charging Dock for the S3's, it has one connection to the phone and the other end of the cable is a Y split to USB and Aux port plug...and if you go into settings for Dock, and there is a setting for using external speakers instead of phone's speaker....then it hit me, duh, all headphone jack ports/aux port has always been designed so that when something is plugged into it it switches audio to that port and thru the cable. So yes, Charging with USB and Aux/EarPhone out can be used at same time through one cable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel