When I get in my car I want to hook up only one cable to charge my SGS3 and output the music to my Aux In stereo input on my car stereo. I don't need a fancy 'dock' to hold the phone.
    1. Is there a mini USB cable that will split to a male USB for charging and a male 3.5mm stereo for Aux input to my car stereo that will do this?
    2. Do I need a Digital to Analogue Converter device? Is one available that will also charge the phone?
    10-06-2012 04:55 PM
    1. I haven't seen anything like you're describing - charge cable + audio out is the only solution I'm familiar with unless you utilize a dock.
    2. No

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    10-06-2012 05:47 PM
    1. I haven't seen anything like you're describing - charge cable + audio out is the only solution I'm familiar with unless you utilize a dock.
    2. No

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes, I've seen the iBolt dock and it has only one connection to the mini USB on the phone, yet it has a 3.5mm stereo output jack so there must be just a cable option for this charging/aux out setup.

Also, will I notice much improvement in audio quality if I use DAC device between my phone and my Aux In to the stereo? (I know most are intended for non powered earphones and speakers.)
    10-06-2012 06:00 PM
    id just use the headphone jack man, find a sweet-spot in the phone volume, too low+the stereo will "humm" too high+itl distort.
    its what i do with my amp at home

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    10-06-2012 06:25 PM
    Well I bought a custom stereo system for my car which has an aux port so I plug my phone via 3mm to 3mm cable to play my music and have the cigarette hole available to charge my phone

If your car has 2 cigarette holes, you can get a fm transmitter to play your music and use the other hole to connect a charger which is what I used to do

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-06-2012 07:05 PM
    think you can get cig' lighter 2way adaptors

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    10-06-2012 07:33 PM
    on my ancient Nokia N95 i had a radio transmitter that plugged into headphone jack and u just tuned the car radio into it.
    very low-tec but great for confusing our protestant boss/van driver by playing irish rebel music through it

vr002sh likes this.
    10-06-2012 07:35 PM
    Just to be clear, you're not trying to use your USB out as an audio out correct? Because that isn't possible.

What you should do is invest in a Bluetooth aux input and stream your music wirelessly.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...etooth+adapter

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    10-06-2012 07:58 PM
    Just to be clear, you're not trying to use your USB out as an audio out correct? Because that isn't possible.

What you should do is invest in a Bluetooth aux input and stream your music wirelessly.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...etooth+adapter

true, with aux/phono IN the usb wouldnt work would it since its a digital output (hsdpa?)
    unless the head unit has hsdpd input

10-06-2012 08:14 PM
    think you can get cig' lighter 2way adaptors

Yeah they have those as well so you could also try that
    10-06-2012 08:59 PM

car aux bluetooth adapter - Walmart.com

Yes, I was talking about using the USB as an audio out like Digital to Analogue Converters do. There is really nothing available for car use?? I don't want to hook up two cables every time I hop in my car....I suppose the blue tooth input method could be a workaround. My car stereo already has an Aux input so I don't want to use an FM transmitter. Is the bluetooth audio quality as bad as FM transmitters? What about Bluetooth charging for the phone....is that available?
    10-06-2012 09:44 PM
    Yes, I was talking about using the USB as an audio out like Digital to Analogue Converters do. There is really nothing available for car use?? I don't want to hook up two cables every time I hop in my car....I suppose the blue tooth input method could be a workaround. My car stereo already has an Aux input so I don't want to use an FM transmitter. Is the bluetooth audio quality as bad as FM transmitters? What about Bluetooth charging for the phone....is that available?
    The short explanation is that the cable is not made or capable to do both. This is a big reason why Apple uses proprietary cables and won't switch to mini USB (also they can nickel and dime their customers at the same time).

Bluetooth audio sounds great and nothing like an FM transmitter. Of course an audiophile could argue this, but I promise, it will be as good as an aux cable (I stream my music over BT to my Ford Flex).

Wireless charging is a whole other beast. It doesn't use BT but it's own wavelength and at the moment your only option to do so is to essentially hack your battery. Samsung has a kit on the way but even than your phone will need to be touching the induction pad. Wireless non-touching charging is being developed but I imagine we won't see it for a few more years, and by that time you'll be using a Galaxy S10.

funkylogik likes this.
    10-06-2012 09:54 PM
    I know you are not looking for a dock, but the ibolt does exactly what you are looking for, but ONLY in the dock, if you use the cable without the dock, it does not work (weird).
    10-06-2012 10:19 PM
    I know you are not looking for a dock, but the ibolt does exactly what you are looking for, but ONLY in the dock, if you use the cable without the dock, it does not work (weird).
    not really weird bro.. as JAJ says, it has to turn a bunch of 1s and 0s (digital) into an actual sound signal which can be amplified

10-06-2012 10:23 PM
    10-06-2012 11:39 PM
    So has does the sound get to the HDMI device (TV) thru the one and only port out then? Apple's usb adapter carry's the audio to head units.
    10-11-2012 12:50 AM
    So has does the sound get to the HDMI device (TV) thru the one and only port out then? Apple's usb adapter carry's the audio to head units.
    theres a samsung cable that plugs into the micro usb and converts to hdmi. its wired differently from every other one including the s2 so you have to make sure its compatible with s3 (dont just take someones word for it in a shop/store)

10-11-2012 04:56 AM
    This is possible, I just did detailed research and if you will go to the iBolt website that makes the car Charging Dock for the S3's you'll see how it's done.
    10-13-2012 07:46 AM
    When I get in my car I want to hook up only one cable to charge my SGS3 and output the music to my Aux In stereo input on my car stereo. I don't need a fancy 'dock' to hold the phone.
    1. Is there a mini USB cable that will split to a male USB for charging and a male 3.5mm stereo for Aux input to my car stereo that will do this?
    2. Do I need a Digital to Analogue Converter device? Is one available that will also charge the phone?
    This is possible, I just did detailed research and if you will go to the iBolt website that makes the car Charging Dock for the S3's, it has one connection to the phone and the other end of the cable is a Y split to USB and Aux port plug...and if you go into settings for Dock, and there is a setting for using external speakers instead of phone's speaker....then it hit me, duh, all headphone jack ports/aux port has always been designed so that when something is plugged into it it switches audio to that port and thru the cable. So yes, Charging with USB and Aux/EarPhone out can be used at same time through one cable.
    10-13-2012 07:47 AM
    You can search at ebay.com 'usb cable charger & aux output' ,you will find it.
    Regards
    02-14-2013 03:03 PM
    Well I'll be. I didn't think these existing for micro USB, but shafij is right. Most of the returns to that search are for iDevices, but here are two (from the same seller) that claim to work with the S3:

Car Aux Audio Output Cable USB Charger Cable for Sam Sung S3 i9300 i9220 I9100 | eBay
    Car Aux Audio Output Cable USB Charger Cable for Sam Sung S3 i9300 i9220 I9100 | eBay

I'm going to give one a try. I'll post back here and let you know how it works.
    02-14-2013 03:27 PM
    I gotta say one thing, the Android hardware support is pathetic compared to apple; I love Android products, I've got the Nexus Tab 10 and a Galaxy S3, which are insanely better than any apple phone or tab. but the support is ****. THE APPLE IPAD HAS THE ISTREAMER, which connects to a 12v source and charges and outputs audio (DAC). Android either has a charger or a DAC without usb audio or with, NOT BOTH and does not charge the device when on. iStreamer charges the device and outputs audio from Digital to Analog. Its almost impossible to get a Headunit replacement like a lot of people are doing with iPads. If anyone finds a product that charges and outputs USB audio to a DAC please PM me.
    04-22-2013 02:00 AM
    I forgot to come back to this thread, and posted a review of these cables in the accessory forum. Unfortunately, I can't really recommend it:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ock-cable.html

Well I'll be. I didn't think these existing for micro USB, but shafij is right. Most of the returns to that search are for iDevices, but here are two (from the same seller) that claim to work with the S3:

I'm going to give one a try. I'll post back here and let you know how it works.
    04-22-2013 10:55 AM
    I think the OP wants to be able to continue to output to a USB DAC and charge at the same time, I don't think the device from the Ebay link outputs audio to a USB DAC because of the inclusion of the 3.5mm jack.

Outputting to a USB DAC while charging is also something I am interested in. Off the top of my head, the only way a device could do that (other than "idevices") is to have wireless charging, but the key is to have the rate of charging faster than the rate of discharging.

My current phone is Droid DNA which can output to a USB DAC and has wireless charging. Although I have presented the method above, I have yet to test it due to lack of a wireless charging pad. From what I've read though, wireless charging is a slow process.
    05-04-2013 12:32 AM
    I forgot to come back to this thread, and posted a review of these cables in the accessory forum. Unfortunately, I can't really recommend it:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ock-cable.html
    I bought one of these cables a while back, and it works pretty well. The only thing I was wondering is if anyone knows of a way to keep it from triggering S-Voice when you plug it in. While it's just a press of the back button to get rid of it, I'd prefer it not to happen to begin with.
    06-21-2013 10:17 AM