Charger

Ricky20

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
So I recently broke my samsung charger plug however still have the usb working fine. So I plugged the usb to an apple plug to charge thinking it will charge normally since they are the same voltage. However since doing that I realized my phone drops battery when I unhook it from 100% to 84-87 % normally....does this mean I need the authentic charger? I don't see the problem. Help?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I would think so. You're using a charger for a completely different device. Regardless of the voltage it wouldn't mandate the current identically. Your best bet is to buy a cheap OEM charger and find out for yourself. This is a situation where nobody can really know for sure unless we physically checked out your device and used an alternative charger.

http://www.google.com/search?client...ie=UTF-8&q=ebay+samsung+galaxy+s3+oem+charger

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why it would drop like that to be honest but isn't Apple's items proprietary? If the plug you used is because their cables are it could have something to do with it. If the plug itself is not proprietary in nature then it should play no effect. All the chargers themselves are universal in nature. The biggest difference I have seen is the amps they put out. Which even that in itself is not a huge deal because the device will determine the draw. As long as it doesn't want more than it can give its safe.

NickLippert

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I have three or four different usb outlet adapters and have never had issues using them for different devices.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Ricky20

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
My battery just went down to 72% in a matter of seconds after I unplugged it from the charger..... I'm going to try a new plug...and see how it goes...hopefully my battery isn't damaged

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
My guess, the battery status is lying to you when it is plugged in. An apple branded charger should charge your phone fine, but at a slower rate due to Apples proprietary way of signaling to a device that it can draw full power. Absent the standard way of letting the device know that it is hooked to a power adapter that can supply more power the phone will self limit to drawing 500mA and take longer to charge.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Try charging it (though slow) from a standard PC USB port.
You might try a full cycle on the battery to see if that recalibrates the charging circuit.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't see why this needs further investigation lol,

1) Try a new compatible charger (ebay)

Should this fail...

2) Try a new compatible battery (ebay)

Should this fail...

3) Warranty claim replacement

Win.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!