wifi constantly downloading?

redneck6497

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi All, this is my first post. I recently purchased an S3 on VZW (coming from 5 years of various Blackberrys). I have been impressed with the phone, and have been enjoying it ... except for battery life. Yesterday I installed juice defender, and as of today, it seemed like the battery life got a lot better! I used it on an off from 7AM until around 3 pm, and had only used about 17%!. At 3PM I became more confident that the battery life was getting better. I listened to Spotify, used internet and FB for a while ... still pretty decent battery life. At about 5:30 I decided to install Juice defender Ultimate ... I figured it could only get better from here. My battery life is now 21% and its 8:40PM, and its been on WIFI for the last few hrs with minimal use.

I noticed that my WIFI is constantly downloading, then it looks like it has a tiny upload, and then the cycle starts all over. Its like the wifi radio is constantly being used. I don't remember this having this behavior before JD ultimate. I have since uninstalled both, and it hasn't really done anything different. I have reset my router and access point as was mentioned in another thread. I tried the 5GHZ radio of my router (dual band) that didn't work either. I unplugged my cable modem from the router to basically terminate the data available on the line. Strangely enough, the upload and download indicators switched. So the upload stayed on more than the download.

Any ideas???

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
This appears to be normal behaviour for this phone, although I can't say I ever remember seeing my HTC Thunderbolt behave this way. If you happen to be in the Settings -> WiFi menu, you'll see that about every 7 seconds WiFi shows 'Scanning' as it updates the current list of SSIDs. And yes, the WiFi icon in the Notification bar pretty much constantly shows activity whether you have an active session or not. Not sure this really helps you other than to assure you that you're not the only one seeing this. uploadfromtaptalk1349662285923.jpgSent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

redneck6497

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. So its the scanning, even though it found a network. When you are in the battery graph, does the wifi bar go all the way across? I think this problem just started today though. I don't remember seeing this before this afternoon, nor did I have such rampant wifi usage.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
im sat in a house with no wifi. just turned wifi on and data off and the wifi icon didnt even appear. when im connected to wifi somewhere else it does show the icon.
so it sounds like what youre getting isnt normal behaviour and will really hammer your battery.
in data usage (in settings), is there any app using a lot of background data?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Mine says scanning when I open up WiFi, but it eventually stops and goes away...try forgetting the network on the phone and reconnect again

Hold the WiFi network and click "Forget Network", then try again to connect

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc