How fast is this phone?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
heres a screenshot of my s3 on quadrant (it wont be at the top for long lol stupid Note 2) :)
uploadfromtaptalk1349663905582.jpg
just to show that it is a monster of a phone

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Don't judge Android phones by the experience you had with the Thunderbolt. Not a great phone at all, and had horrendous battery life. That said, the GS3 is very fast - at least with regard to general navigation, opening/closing apps, etc. The GPU on the GS3 isn't the best, but it will still play most games reasonably well. Spec-wise, nothing can touch the iPhone 5 right now for raw computing muscle - especially that GPU, it's an utter beast. (and the GPU in the iPhone 4S was also incredibly strong - probably stronger than the Adreno in the GS3)

But again, if you're concerned about the snappiness of the phone.. don't be. The GS3 is plenty quick and won't bother you at all. What might bother you is the size. Personally I have small hands and I think anything over 4.3 inches is too big. Still, I like the GS3 enough to put up with it. Good luck, both are great phones - no bad choices here.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Generally speaking the GS3 is extremely fast with a decent battery. With that said is there something to be said in terms of speed and fluidity when a company can optimize the software and hardware together like Apple can, without a doubt.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Now that I think of it wasn't that phone recently discussed on the weekly podcast a few episodes Ago?

On my Samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.0

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens

lol yeah think so buddy :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what thunderbolt you guys had but I loved mine...

Perhaps that same thunderbolt is why I am now paranoid about my battery life and I start freaking out when my phone hits 70%...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
in my experience, the ONLY time my s3 lags at all is when returning to homescreen (takes forever to write clock widget, dock icons and fill folders with apps) none of my previous androids have had this problem and none came close to being so powerful.
really hope JB fixes this... maybe its Go Launcher but ive used that on all my previous phones and its aparently optimised for ICS now...

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
in my experience, the ONLY time my s3 lags at all is when returning to homescreen (takes forever to write clock widget, dock icons and fill folders with apps) none of my previous androids have had this problem and none came close to being so powerful.
really hope JB fixes this... maybe its Go Launcher but ive used that on all my previous phones and its aparently optimised for ICS now...

I find that after I rooted I no longer have that drawing problem, except when I reboot

There's some features in apex that makes it easier to do after root

On my Samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.0

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens

jpullins

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't know how I get such good battery life. I use my phone like anybody else. I can plug my phone in before bed and change it to 100% and then take it off the charger and sleep for 6-8hrs and it would still be at about 95-97% when I wake up. Also I have wifi on at all times and sync on in the background.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I came back to Android for this phone very cautiously after my experience last year with the DROID Charge and LG Revolution. I have had an iphone 3gs, 4 and 4s. I held n iPhone 5 for the first time today and was surprised at how small the screen still seemed.

With that said I am very pleased with this phone and will not be going back any time soon. It's fast, very few bugs and battery is decent. Especially if you use power saving mode and juice defender.

The only thing I really miss from my 4s is siri. The 4.1 upgrade will get us Google Now, then I'll be Ok.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I came back to Android for this phone very cautiously after my experience last year with the DROID Charge and LG Revolution. I have had an iphone 3gs, 4 and 4s. I held n iPhone 5 for the first time today and was surprised at how small the screen still seemed.

With that said I am very pleased with this phone and will not be going back any time soon. It's fast, very few bugs and battery is decent. Especially if you use power saving mode and juice defender.

The only thing I really miss from my 4s is siri. The 4.1 upgrade will get us Google Now, then I'll be Ok.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
Galaxy S3 has S-Voice, but Google Bow will be the big hit!

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
The S3 is pretty darn fast. Heck, it could well be even the fastest phone out there right now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

Maybe try disabling S Voice? If you're talking about pressing home and the short delay, then it's because it's waiting to see if you meant to summon S Voice.

But if you meant stuff just taking a while to load on home, then it probably is Go Launcher. Have you tried Nova yet? :D

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Maybe try disabling S Voice? If you're talking about pressing home and the short delay, then it's because it's waiting to see if you meant to summon S Voice.

But if you meant stuff just taking a while to load on home, then it probably is Go Launcher. Have you tried Nova yet? :D

disabled s-voice and the double tap shortcut the day i started usin the phone mate so its not that.
i know Go is heavy but i never had same problem on an (overclocked to) 629ghz single core 250mb ram phone lol.
nah not got round to playin with nova yet but bought it during the sale. if this forum goes dead il have a play... its just kinda daunting after usin Go for so long lol

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
disabled s-voice and the double tap shortcut the day i started usin the phone mate so its not that.
i know Go is heavy but i never had same problem on an (overclocked to) 629ghz single core 250mb ram phone lol.
nah not got round to playin with nova yet but bought it during the sale. if this forum goes dead il have a play... its just kinda daunting after usin Go for so long lol

I get what you mean man, been used to Go for so long it's hard to let it go, huh? :p

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
totaly, like Go took a bit of a learning curve and im lazy lol but i want a fresh new UI in preparation for JB :)