So, uh, this phone apparently cant send MMS.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
To send and receive mms you must have a cell data connection. If u are on wifi, when u hit send the wifi and cell symbol will show at the same time. If u disable mobile data and are on wifi it will fail. At least this is my experience.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Not sure but this may be per carrier. On sprint if I'm in wifi it will use my wifi connection to send the MMS and then sprint takes it from there and sends it off. If I'm on 3g a picture can take 20 seconds or so... On my home wifi it takes 1-2 seconds.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Last edited:

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it works that way up here, I also tried sending MMS on WiFi, it didn't go through. Bell MobilityLTE, no issues.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
the recipient is also obv' gona hav2b connected to some form of data too?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
the recipient is also obv' gona hav2b connected to some form of data too?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Yeah but it won't affect you sending it to them. They will just be able to download the MMS once they have a data connection.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC fourms

Sourborn

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Hm, it must be a carrier issue then. I can send screenshots, for example, over wifi but I cannot send actual media capture with the camera. Yet on GoSMS it seems the opposite is true. Perhaps I'll have to give Rogers a shout to see if theres something specific to their LTE network Im missing.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
GoSMS Pro is the BEST Messaging app in the app store and it does everything perfectly with lots of features...I recommend it to everyone!

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Hm, it must be a carrier issue then. I can send screenshots, for example, over wifi but I cannot send actual media capture with the camera. Yet on GoSMS it seems the opposite is true. Perhaps I'll have to give Rogers a shout to see if theres something specific to their LTE network Im missing.

There was mention of an issue like this in another thread.
Native photos are sometimes too large. Install and app call 'Reduce Photo Size'. Use that to compress the photo a bit more, then it can be sent. It integrates well with the Gallery,

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I'd check with them. When I'm at home and on wifi I turn off mobile data (since the button is there.. And I know wifi will take primary connection over cellular) but I turn it off anyway so there should be no way that any cellular data is going on and MMS works. That would be mean if your carrier (rogers) did cellular data only for MMS... Unless you have unlimited then it doesn't matter but if you didn't that's wrong to force you to use up data lol :)

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
GoSMS Pro is the BEST Messaging app in the app store and it does everything perfectly with lots of features...I recommend it to everyone!

especialy when the person youre texting also has it :)

ByeByeiPhone

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey fellow former iphone user, I am also having a heck of a time with the messaging app. Mine is constantly freezing and crashing (sigh). I have a feeling the transfer between iPhone and Android is what's causing the issue. Some friends I used to iMessage I can't send texts to with my S3, but others I can...??!? It really makes zero sense (and this may just be coincidence). I tried deleting threads (didn't realize how many threads I had saved on my iPhone that transferred to the S3) but the blasted app is giving me grief even when trying to simply delete something. Anyone have an idea?!?! No, I have not done the factory restore. Frankly, I have had the phone less than three days and should not have to factory restore for just transferring data from old phone to new phone. Seems a wee bit ridiculous to me. Apart from the messaging issues, I LOVE this phone and am very happy to have said good riddance to the iPhone... :eek:)

I just downloaded the GoSMS pro app. hopefully this one wont crash incessantly!

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
First off, great f***'ing job Samsung.

Ive been doing some research and apparently this phone is having a hell of a time sending MMS. I just got this phone last Sunday and it seems flaky at best when sending MMS. I'm on Rogers, which is a country wide Canadian network.

Im on wifi at pretty much all times and it never sends through the stock messaging app. I've tried on 3G/4G but it makes no difference. Im not adverse to using a different app but... seriously? It cant just work? What year is this again?

So, yeah. Does anyone know of a fix for this? This is making me quite upset because this is a trivial feature that should be working 100% at all times.

Obviously if you can't send MMS, there's a problem with your specific device. NO flagship is going to struggle to do such a basic task. If it does, exchange it for a different one. No reason to toss F bombs at Samsung when they aren't the ones doing anything wrong. Also, how come in the title of this thread, it says it CAN'T send them, and in your post you say it sends some of the time? First lets be honest about your issues, and THEN we can all look for a solution. Exaggerations help no one on these forums.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site

Ive been doing some research and apparently this phone is having a hell of a time sending MMS. I just got this phone last Sunday and it seems flaky at best when sending MMS. I'm on Rogers, which is a country wide Canadian network.

Im on wifi at pretty much all times and it never sends through the stock messaging app. I've tried on 3G/4G but it makes no difference. Im not adverse to using a different app but... seriously? It cant just work? What year is this again?

So, yeah. Does anyone know of a fix for this? This is making me quite upset because this is a trivial feature that should be working 100% at all times.

I can send and receive no problem as long as I'm on a mobile network. It will not work with wifi.

To send and receive mms you must have a cell data connection. If u are on wifi, when u hit send the wifi and cell symbol will show at the same time. If u disable mobile data and are on wifi it will fail. At least this is my experience.

Apparently its a fairly common problem (widely reported here at AC) that if WiFi is on and connected, it tries to use WiFi for ALL data, even though you have a cell data connection available. Turning off WiFi temporarily "fixes" the problem, but this is one thing that drives me nuts too.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
There was mention of an issue like this in another thread.
Native photos are sometimes too large. Install and app call 'Reduce Photo Size'. Use that to compress the photo a bit more, then it can be sent. It integrates well with the Gallery,

First I've heard of that - the size being the issue. Will have to experiment a bit - but that's really frustrating if so - too large to go out over my 50mb internet connection here at the house for some weird Android reason?!?!?!

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have no problems here either
If anything, I would think its the carrier that you should be mad at, not Samsung.
Samsung has nothing to do with your MMS

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I have no problems here either
If anything, I would think its the carrier that you should be mad at, not Samsung.
Samsung has nothing to do with your MMS

See the http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii/218603-texting-issues-s3.html thread in this forum. Agreed its not a Samsung problem, but its not a carrier problem either - apparently its an Android problem. When MMS WILL work over your carrier connection, but WON'T work over a WiFi connection, its hard to say its a carrier problem!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Did you come from using a iPhone? I have read that many people have had issues with imessage not being disabled on their old account so there are issues sending and receiving with iPhone users.

This may not be it but thought I would mention it if it hasn't already been mentioned.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
First I've heard of that - the size being the issue. Will have to experiment a bit - but that's really frustrating if so - too large to go out over my 50mb internet connection here at the house for some weird Android reason?!?!?!

Ir is not how fast the connection is to send MMS, but rather the size of the file. There are data limitations to how large the MMS can be, just like a text message can only be 160 characters. It is how the network handles the data.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Ir is not how fast the connection is to send MMS, but rather the size of the file. There are data limitations to how large the MMS can be, just like a text message can only be 160 characters. It is how the network handles the data.

But "the network" in this case is my 50mb/sec internet connection and my WiFi router. And I understand data limitations, but those should be specific to MMS specifications, not the network.

Finally, my wife can be sitting 2 feet from me with her BlackBerry, connected to the same carrier and the same WiFi router, and she can send and receive MMS just fine, without turning off WiFi, while I will have to disconnect WiFi temporarily to do the same thing. So please don't tell me "its the network" or "its how the network handles data" because the available networks will handle it just fine. Its how the phone's operating system determines which network to use to send/receive the message. BlackBerry and iPhone handle that decision correctly, and Android ICS handles it incorrectly - at least part of the time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary