09-04-2013 01:30 AM
56 123
tools
    Hm, it must be a carrier issue then. I can send screenshots, for example, over wifi but I cannot send actual media capture with the camera. Yet on GoSMS it seems the opposite is true. Perhaps I'll have to give Rogers a shout to see if theres something specific to their LTE network Im missing.
    10-10-2012 10:21 AM
    GoSMS Pro is the BEST Messaging app in the app store and it does everything perfectly with lots of features...I recommend it to everyone!
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-10-2012 10:23 AM
    Hm, it must be a carrier issue then. I can send screenshots, for example, over wifi but I cannot send actual media capture with the camera. Yet on GoSMS it seems the opposite is true. Perhaps I'll have to give Rogers a shout to see if theres something specific to their LTE network Im missing.
    There was mention of an issue like this in another thread.
    Native photos are sometimes too large. Install and app call 'Reduce Photo Size'. Use that to compress the photo a bit more, then it can be sent. It integrates well with the Gallery,
    10-10-2012 12:02 PM
    Yeah I'd check with them. When I'm at home and on wifi I turn off mobile data (since the button is there.. And I know wifi will take primary connection over cellular) but I turn it off anyway so there should be no way that any cellular data is going on and MMS works. That would be mean if your carrier (rogers) did cellular data only for MMS... Unless you have unlimited then it doesn't matter but if you didn't that's wrong to force you to use up data lol

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    10-10-2012 01:01 PM
    GoSMS Pro is the BEST Messaging app in the app store and it does everything perfectly with lots of features...I recommend it to everyone!
    especialy when the person youre texting also has it

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    10-10-2012 03:34 PM
    Hey fellow former iphone user, I am also having a heck of a time with the messaging app. Mine is constantly freezing and crashing (sigh). I have a feeling the transfer between iPhone and Android is what's causing the issue. Some friends I used to iMessage I can't send texts to with my S3, but others I can...??!? It really makes zero sense (and this may just be coincidence). I tried deleting threads (didn't realize how many threads I had saved on my iPhone that transferred to the S3) but the blasted app is giving me grief even when trying to simply delete something. Anyone have an idea?!?! No, I have not done the factory restore. Frankly, I have had the phone less than three days and should not have to factory restore for just transferring data from old phone to new phone. Seems a wee bit ridiculous to me. Apart from the messaging issues, I LOVE this phone and am very happy to have said good riddance to the iPhone... :o)

I just downloaded the GoSMS pro app. hopefully this one wont crash incessantly!
    10-24-2012 09:14 AM
    First off, great f***'ing job Samsung.

Ive been doing some research and apparently this phone is having a hell of a time sending MMS. I just got this phone last Sunday and it seems flaky at best when sending MMS. I'm on Rogers, which is a country wide Canadian network.

Im on wifi at pretty much all times and it never sends through the stock messaging app. I've tried on 3G/4G but it makes no difference. Im not adverse to using a different app but... seriously? It cant just work? What year is this again?

So, yeah. Does anyone know of a fix for this? This is making me quite upset because this is a trivial feature that should be working 100% at all times.
    Obviously if you can't send MMS, there's a problem with your specific device. NO flagship is going to struggle to do such a basic task. If it does, exchange it for a different one. No reason to toss F bombs at Samsung when they aren't the ones doing anything wrong. Also, how come in the title of this thread, it says it CAN'T send them, and in your post you say it sends some of the time? First lets be honest about your issues, and THEN we can all look for a solution. Exaggerations help no one on these forums.
    10-24-2012 09:39 AM

Ive been doing some research and apparently this phone is having a hell of a time sending MMS. I just got this phone last Sunday and it seems flaky at best when sending MMS. I'm on Rogers, which is a country wide Canadian network.

Im on wifi at pretty much all times and it never sends through the stock messaging app. I've tried on 3G/4G but it makes no difference. Im not adverse to using a different app but... seriously? It cant just work? What year is this again?

So, yeah. Does anyone know of a fix for this? This is making me quite upset because this is a trivial feature that should be working 100% at all times.
    I can send and receive no problem as long as I'm on a mobile network. It will not work with wifi.
    To send and receive mms you must have a cell data connection. If u are on wifi, when u hit send the wifi and cell symbol will show at the same time. If u disable mobile data and are on wifi it will fail. At least this is my experience.
    Apparently its a fairly common problem (widely reported here at AC) that if WiFi is on and connected, it tries to use WiFi for ALL data, even though you have a cell data connection available. Turning off WiFi temporarily "fixes" the problem, but this is one thing that drives me nuts too.
    10-24-2012 10:18 AM
    There was mention of an issue like this in another thread.
    Native photos are sometimes too large. Install and app call 'Reduce Photo Size'. Use that to compress the photo a bit more, then it can be sent. It integrates well with the Gallery,
    First I've heard of that - the size being the issue. Will have to experiment a bit - but that's really frustrating if so - too large to go out over my 50mb internet connection here at the house for some weird Android reason?!?!?!
    10-24-2012 10:20 AM
    I have no problems here either
    If anything, I would think its the carrier that you should be mad at, not Samsung.
    Samsung has nothing to do with your MMS
    10-24-2012 10:29 AM
    I have no problems here either
    If anything, I would think its the carrier that you should be mad at, not Samsung.
    Samsung has nothing to do with your MMS
    See the http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...issues-s3.html thread in this forum. Agreed its not a Samsung problem, but its not a carrier problem either - apparently its an Android problem. When MMS WILL work over your carrier connection, but WON'T work over a WiFi connection, its hard to say its a carrier problem!
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    10-24-2012 10:34 AM

Did you come from using a iPhone? I have read that many people have had issues with imessage not being disabled on their old account so there are issues sending and receiving with iPhone users.

This may not be it but thought I would mention it if it hasn't already been mentioned.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums
    10-24-2012 10:36 AM
    First I've heard of that - the size being the issue. Will have to experiment a bit - but that's really frustrating if so - too large to go out over my 50mb internet connection here at the house for some weird Android reason?!?!?!
    Ir is not how fast the connection is to send MMS, but rather the size of the file. There are data limitations to how large the MMS can be, just like a text message can only be 160 characters. It is how the network handles the data.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    10-24-2012 11:10 AM
    Ir is not how fast the connection is to send MMS, but rather the size of the file. There are data limitations to how large the MMS can be, just like a text message can only be 160 characters. It is how the network handles the data.
    But "the network" in this case is my 50mb/sec internet connection and my WiFi router. And I understand data limitations, but those should be specific to MMS specifications, not the network.

Finally, my wife can be sitting 2 feet from me with her BlackBerry, connected to the same carrier and the same WiFi router, and she can send and receive MMS just fine, without turning off WiFi, while I will have to disconnect WiFi temporarily to do the same thing. So please don't tell me "its the network" or "its how the network handles data" because the available networks will handle it just fine. Its how the phone's operating system determines which network to use to send/receive the message. BlackBerry and iPhone handle that decision correctly, and Android ICS handles it incorrectly - at least part of the time.
    10-24-2012 01:41 PM
    I can only send an mms if 4g is on. WiFi won't work.
    10-24-2012 02:13 PM
    if you think about it, when you send an mms, the data used is payed for by your mms allowance/charge so thats why it wants to use mobile data (which the carrier owns) but its daft that android doesnt realise this and just switch to mobile data for a few seconds even if wifi is on...
    they should really make a tiny patch for that. il try it with JB later...

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    DallasFlier likes this.
    10-24-2012 02:42 PM
    I just sent one over 3g only running 4.1.2 without issue....
    10-25-2012 06:22 PM
    I've never had an issue with the stock app and if my file was you big, it automatically compressed it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    12-27-2012 03:43 PM
    I have had my phone for over a month and haven't been able to send MMS in texts, even pictures taken with the lowest resolution on my camera (what's the point?). I finally turned off WiFi, and made sure Mobile Networks was enabled, and it worked like a charm, even sending pix taken at the highest resolution (they were compressed before sending). They took a while going through, but they finally went - no more "Message Failed" messages! Hooray! Hope this helps someone else who is as frustrated with this great device as I was.
    01-04-2013 10:06 AM
    Agreed its not a Samsung problem, but its not a carrier problem either - apparently its an Android problem. When MMS WILL work over your carrier connection, but WON'T work over a WiFi connection, its hard to say its a carrier problem!
    Well, it really IS carrier related. Do a search for "google voice mms" and you'll see this problem isn't limited to phones--Google Voice has trouble with MMS to/from some carriers especially ATT. I'll attempt a recap of my understanding. Apparently when you send an MMS the non-text portion is stored on a carrier mms server and the text is sent via SMS that includes a special link to the data on the server so the data portion can be merged into the received message. The problem is the server is accessed differently for internal network vrs public Internet i.e. WiFi. Some carriers have not changed their permissions (?) to allow access other than their own network. Sprint made changes specifically to support Google Voice MMS and a side effect is to allow Sprint users to send/receive MMS via wifi/Internet. Virgin Mobile uses the same servers so VM users can also. Other carriers may have too but AT&T has not--until that happens AT&T users must send/retrieve MMS via the mobile network and Google Voice can't MMS to/from ATT. Now who's at fault on the phone end for not using the mobile network for MMS when wifi is connected...I'd almost say the phone is doing what it's supposed to do--use wifi if available--and that the MMS application should override that and require mobile network, assuming Android provides that function call. One last comment--on ATT although you must have data turned on the data used for MMS does NOT come out of your data plan but is paid on a per-message basis like SMS only 10 cents higher--very noticeable if you don't have unlimited texting.
    01-05-2013 09:43 AM
    iMessage is a non-standard, Apple only service. I'm not an Apple user, but I've been led to believe there may be some account level settings that need to be reset so that you're not still on the iMessage service. Sorry I can't help more. I'd suggest starting a thread with a subject specific to your issue so that other iPhone to Android converts will see it.

Hey fellow former iphone user, I am also having a heck of a time with the messaging app. Mine is constantly freezing and crashing (sigh). I have a feeling the transfer between iPhone and Android is what's causing the issue. Some friends I used to iMessage I can't send texts to with my S3, but others I can...??!? It really makes zero sense (and this may just be coincidence). I tried deleting threads (didn't realize how many threads I had saved on my iPhone that transferred to the S3) but the blasted app is giving me grief even when trying to simply delete something. Anyone have an idea?!?! No, I have not done the factory restore. Frankly, I have had the phone less than three days and should not have to factory restore for just transferring data from old phone to new phone. Seems a wee bit ridiculous to me. Apart from the messaging issues, I LOVE this phone and am very happy to have said good riddance to the iPhone... :o)

I just downloaded the GoSMS pro app. hopefully this one wont crash incessantly!
    01-05-2013 11:07 AM
    iMessage is a non-standard, Apple only service. I'm not an Apple user, but I've been led to believe there may be some account level settings that need to be reset so that you're not still on the iMessage service. Sorry I can't help more. I'd suggest starting a thread with a subject specific to your issue so that other iPhone to Android converts will see it.
    There is. You have to disable it in your account or it causes all kinds of issues.

Sent from my PMID1000B using Tapatalk HD
    01-05-2013 12:45 PM
    Okay i have a samsung galaxy s3 runing android 4.1.1 i used to beanle to send and recive mms before i upgraded when i was on 4.0.2 but now i cannt send or recive when i try to send it takes forever and sats unable to send and when i recive it shows me a box with the date it expires and a download button if i click itit takes forever nd says unale to download i have tried it on gosms handcent the stock one as well as chomp same result my internet works fine. I tries on both 3g 4g and wifi doesnot work and my sms text work fine
    Please help im am ex iphone user and this is my furst android and i love it and this is the only problen ive gad with it and i think the iphonedoes mms better and would like this to work so it can be the perfect phone
    Thank you
    Please help
    All suggestions are helpful no matter how small
    01-06-2013 12:56 AM
    MMS works with packet data switched on as it uses the mobile internet not wifi internet and there is a 20p charge to send an MMS via tmobile but free to receive an MMS even if you switch on packet data just for the MMS you have received. Tinas London Guesthouse (TLG)
    01-08-2013 10:11 AM
    Just use whatsapp...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    01-08-2013 12:11 PM
56 123