Dilemma S3 or Note 2

BCShakarov

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I returned my iPhone 5, reversed my upgrade so that I'm eligible, have been enjoying my new Note 10.1 but now must settle the phone issue.

I'm currently using my iPhone 4, and was holding out to get the note 2. It hit me recently that it really is a BIG phone, or as its called a phablet. However I already have a tablet, would I need a phablet. Surprisingly, I don't use my phone as a phone as much as I'd like but I still need the ability for it to be portable.

I've been considering the S3 and while it seems like a good alternative, I am concerned that it just won't match the note 2. I see the specs, jelly bean, the s pen and think that the s3 is just underpowered and I would be stepping backwards if I chose the s3 over the n2.
If the g3 had the same specs, I would likely choose that. Is this an unreasonable concern?

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
It's not unreasonable. But it's not a killer decision also. Where do you live? Are you getting the US Variant (S4 Dual-Core + 2GB + LTE *except T-Mobile), International (Exynos Quad-Core + 1GB + No LTE), or South Korean (Exynos Quad-Core + 2GB + LTE)?

If you're getting an the Korean variant then in my opinion it would be a no contest for the S3 (for my preferences) unless the PenTile screen is just not for you (or if the phone does not utilize all available bands for your carrier.) Jelly Bean will be released really soon if not already released.

For a International i9300 version it depends if you think 1GB of RAM vs 2GB is a big difference. While I've seen RAM make a bigger deal in an iPhone (iPhone 4 512MB vs iPod Touch 4G with 256MB) it may not be for Android. It's a bit of a trade off. An S3 with a Dual-Core and 2GB of Ram or Quad-Core with 1GB. With the Note 2 you get both with a higher clocked SoC, but you can overclock your phone if you are going to root it.

I would definitely choose the Note 2 over US S3 due to the difference in SoC, and the fact we have no idea when Jelly Bean will be released (Novemberish at best?) But then I feel like 5.5" is just too big (for my hands.) I have small hands so I can barely use the S3 with one hand or one thumb (especially with a Flip Cover.)

This decision would be so much easier if all S3's had jelly bean right now, then we all would know what the improvements are.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Both are great, but do not call the S3 underpowered. If you think that you are sorely mistaken. The phone is a beast.

Sure you have a quad core vs a dual core but guess what? Maybe 50% of the apps take advantage of the dual core and I can guarantee that about 0% will take advantage of the quad. They are both SoC so the quad core will not do much to help battery life either.

You will not notice a difference between the speed, reliability, or anything else between the two.

It is going to come down to do you want a 5.5" phone or 4.8? Everything else is inconsequential.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Only reason why I concern myself with a Dual-Core vs Quad-Core is because of the significant difference in computers. Smartphones are not computers but they have potential.

A Quad-Core is more future proof, but who's to say that Samsung will provide enough updates that the S3 will run a version of Android utilize a Quad-Core efficiently by most apps/software.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
if i had a tablet, i definately wouldnt buy the note2 (probly would have bought a cheaper smaller android instead of s3)
i dont have broadband or a tablet so s3 is great for me but obv' note2 would be be better. id rather have a tablet and a smaller phone,defo smaller than note2, maybe smaller than s3 (depending on if youre getting it subsidised or not... i bought mine outright)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

T.Barnhart

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
You just have to think about what you want in your phone. The S3 is a great phone... but do you really want/need to tote a tablet around all the time? Do you draw on the tablet? What would you use the Note 2 for? I wouldn't really worry about power right at this point. Focus more on your needs/wants. I have the S3 and will be getting a note 2 as soon as Sprint gets it. Not because there is anything wrong with the S3... I just want the note 2 so freakin bad!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah aparently the Note2 doesnt beat the s3 by all that much on benchmarks and no apps come close to using the s3's full potential yet so a power increase isnt that important and by the time it is, there will probably be much more powerful and cheaper phones around

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
If your only option is the US and you're fine with a 5.5" then get the Note 2

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The question becomes one of which one is more likely to be used more often. If you already have the Note 10.1, and the Note 2 is overall but a nice device none the less. The Note 2 would appear to be more about content consumption in terms of videos, and games as opposed to content creation and the need for true multi-tasking with large spreadsheets and other documents.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

BCShakarov

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
If your only option is the US and you're fine with a 5.5" then get the Note 2

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

While I like that it will have a bigger screen, I'm trying to imagine lugging that beast around day to day, especially since I expect to otterbox it once a commuter case is released. That would a lot more bulk. The S3 with the otterbox seems right, but again I still feel like I would be giving up on a more useful and updated device in the note 2, compared to the US S3.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If you want to look at pure numbers, 4>2. Real World use though is a different story.

In its current state, IMHO, the sgs3 is good for the next two years, as will the note 2. There is too many more ways to go 'up' from here. 8 cores? 4gb ram? 500gb storage?

96gb, dual core two gb ram is going to go far.

The only question here, again IMHO is do you want to carry around 5.5 or 4.8?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

guthrien

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested in the Note 2 because of my usage, it sounds from your brief comment that the S3 would suit yours better. As someone who came to the S3 from the 4S I wouldn't call the phone the least bit underpowered. It's an extremely fast device, the most powerful phone I've ever tried by some good measure.

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Smartphones are definitely computers. So much so that I rarely use my desktop. Most tasks done on my S3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Smartphones are definitely computers. So much so that I rarely use my desktop. Most tasks done on my S3.

i dont have a computer or home broadband mate. my girl has a windows7 laptop that we tether to her old android but i hardly ever use the thing, i feel much more at home on android and my phone does everything i need. an android tablet would be nice though if i had the money :)

guthrien

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

I totally agree. Though much more so on my android. The 4S had good apps but felt compartmentalized like I was using a specialized device, my S3 is like a full blooded PC with almost every single ability my desktop has.

erin_looney

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I had the same dilemma and got the s3 because the size seemed a reasonable compromise between portability and web consumption. What a great phone. I love it way more than iPhones. BUT, I now totally regret not getting the Note 2. I got hooked on the s3 screen being bigger but now I want more. And when I play with my friends' Notes, I realize the disadvantage of larger size is not nearly as much as the advantages. It is still portable and useable but has enough size to really comfortably enjoy web consumption. So there you have it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084