How to custom calibrate the "AUTO" brightness, or gesture 100% brightness?

lesorkim

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S3 phone, Verison Wireless, Andriod 4.0.4, Nova Launcher Prime 1.3.1.

The "Auto" setting for screen brightness is too dim in several different settings. There have been several threads in the past that lamented this condition, but a solution was never proferred. There MUST be a solution. I thought I read it one time, but upon searching I could not find it. Did I read once that there was a control for turning up/down the "automatic" sensitivity.

Does Nova Launcher has such an advanced option in it? Is there an add on widget/app to do this?

I use NFC Task Launcher to put my phones in what I call "modes" like Bedtime, Pocket, Desk, At Home, Car, etc. For each of those I specify a brightness setting - since Auto does not work IMO. The real problem I run into is that regular brightness is fine, then just as I go outside I want to look up something and I can't see the screen hardly at all! I either need a way calibrate AUTO to my liking, install a widget to do the job.

One other option I have not quite figured out is this; I noticed under the Nova settings you could customize what certian gestures do, so it would be great if I could get a clock wise single finger swirl on the glass to pop the brightness to 100%, or perhaps to have a phone shake do that. "Brightness" does not seem to be one of the assignable options?

Any ideas?

Maybe I need to put an NFC sticker in my wallet that says 100% brightness. That way when people see me fish my phone out of my pocket for a call outside and then (when I can't read the display) rub the phone on my ass (for brightness) they will really wonder!!!

jamesino

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I am having this identical problem and posted a thread asking the same question recently. I think the best answer I got was that you can download some app that will put an auto-brightness toggle in your notification bar. There are others apps that will allow you to put an auto-brightness toggle widget on your homescreens.

lesorkim

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
. . posted a thread asking the same question recently. . .best answer I got was that you can download some app that will put an auto-brightness toggle in your notification bar.
{begin smartass mode} That would be great, but I can't see the screen to press any buttons {end smartass mode}
Can't you just call up the Nova people for me and have them whip up a custom upgrade for me for that custom finger gesture.
{insert "custom finger gesture" joke here}

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
"Display Brightness" is aparently very good for adjusting brightnes "on the fly" ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

lesorkim

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
"Lux" looks pretty good. Downloaded it and will test it out. Thanks for the tip

EDIT 10-16-12 I've been using Lux for several days now and I have been satisfied iwith the auto-brightness function it brings. If in two weeks it is still working as expected I will get the full version.

Last edited:

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have been using Brightness Toggle Widget since I got the phone. It has 8 manual brightness levels as well as auto brightness. It works really well on auto. It is VERY sensitive though. If I put my hand in front of the sensor the brightness instantly drops, moving my hand and it comes back right away. It is definitely brighter than the built in auto brightness setting. I never have a problem seeing my screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

andie93

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Lux for a while. It works better than the built-in autobrightness setting, at least for me. I can't remember how the free version compares to paid, but you can specify your own brightness settings based on the ambient light. It's very easy to do... Instead of messing with the settings right away, I just let Lux do it's thing. Whenever I'd find that it's predetermined setting was too dark or too bright for my preference, all I had to do was open my notifications to pop open the dashboard for Lux, use the slider to adjust the brightness and hit one button to lock in the new setting. After a day or two, it was pretty much perfect. The subzero settings work really well for use in the car at night too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar