AT&T Galaxy S3 SD Card issues..

joe.kent

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
So today I kept getting an error that the card wasn't readable... I would just eject the card and put it back in... maybe a dozen times. Well, tonight I decided to take it out and back it up, now the phone doesn't recognize it at all. Anyone know what's wrong? I've tried formatting with Windows, tried formatting it in the phone, nothing at all works. With the card in the phone it keeps saying, Mount SD card..

{Thx in advance}

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
so does the pc still read and write to it fine?
a lot of people have had problems with the s3 "frying" their sd...

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

joe.kent

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
No... I can't get the dang thing to work in anything now... I put a different card in and it works fine though...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Card is toast.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

sorry but its true. seems to be a known issue and noone has reported samsung taking responsibility and replacing the sd :(

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

evq.003

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... This seems to be happening a lot. And I'm about to upgrade my card. I wonder if its a phone issue or a card issue. Is the brand, capacity, and speed of the micro SD card that "fried" the same as the one that works?

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you format to fat32? You may need to download a 3rd party app to do so. It worked for me when my 64GB card was giving me trouble, it came formatted as exfat32, now it is just fat32 with no issues.

joe.kent

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
What did you use to format the card? BTW, my card is a Sandisk Ultra 32GB MicroSD HC card, its red and gray. Attached is the error I get when I put the memory card reader in the PC.

Attachments

• memory card.jpg
    memory card.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 238

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
What did you use to format the card? BTW, my card is a Sandisk Ultra 32GB MicroSD HC card, its red and gray. Attached is the error I get when I put the memory card reader in the PC.

thats the exact card i bought a few weeks ago :(

has anyone chanced their luck with samsung or do you think theyd pull the "well you should have used a samsung sd" card?
id reply "well there should have been one included" ;)

joe.kent

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help junglejunkie, but it wouldn't populate with anything but my computers hard drive. Guess I'm just SOL. On the other hand, I've emailed Samsung complaining... we'll see if that does any good.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help junglejunkie, but it wouldn't populate with anything but my computers hard drive. Guess I'm just SOL. On the other hand, I've emailed Samsung complaining... we'll see if that does any good.

did you mention that it seems to be pretty widespread mate?
let us know the reply :thumbup:

ps whats "SOL" stand for?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
lol i must be gettin old.. thought i knew all the txt speak ;)

joe.kent

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
lol i must be gettin old.. thought i knew all the txt speak ;)

Yea... thats what SOL means.. .and yes, my 3rd email described how a simple google search could turn up plenty of cases of the same issue. I also mentioned that the AT&T guy told me they had a few of these problems.

joe.kent

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Here is the response I was given, looks like Samsung is too busy to give a crap after the sale, they have my money for the device...

"Thank you for your correspondence. We understand your phone's memory card was not being recognized by your phone. We do apologize for the inconvenience that this might have caused you.

We understand that you tried removing the memory card and put it back in, you have formatted the card using your phone but still got the same issue. Our previous representative informed you check with the store where you have purchased the memory card to have it replaced.

We would like to inform you that if this memory card is not Samsung's, we cannot guarantee complete functionality and compatibility of our phones used in conjunction with third party devices such as this. For this reason, we refer you to the third party manufacturer for further assistance regarding compatibility with our Samsung products.

We are aware that there are official-looking websites online that have statements regarding this issue, but, these are not Samsung sites, and this information is not accurate.

Do you have more questions regarding your Samsung Mobile Phone? For 24 hour information and assistance, we offer our new FAQ/ARS (Automated Response System) at Samsung.

We appreciate your understanding and patience."

Sincerely,

Ronn
Technical Support

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
grr bog standard generic "fill in the gaps" reply mate.
A-holes!
wonder if anyones sammy SD has blown on them?
how old is the sd mate?
have u contacted the manufacturer?

these exact words
" We are aware that there are official-looking websites online that have statements regarding this issue, but, these are not Samsung sites, and this information is not accurate."
were used in a reply to another guy about a different issue mate

joe.kent

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing..
it's about a month old, got it at Best Buy, but I dont have my receipt any longer.. I may go by there and see what they say.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah well its sold as a universal sd card so they should take some responsibility even though we know its an s3 issue.
if the s3 cant handle non samsung sds then samsung should make a non-universal slot and their own s3 compatible cards...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair