Absolutely atrocious battery life on my S3

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
My iphone 4 had awesome(like 2 days) battery life. The 4s and 5 (I tried one for 2 weeks) about the same as my s3. Once apple started syncing more things in the background, the battery life suffered. But those are the things people want. You can get several days from dumb phones that don't try to do as much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to show off lol... I find that if you limit the apps running in the background it saves a LOT of battery might wanna check that too, as people gave said already

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350023786107.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350023786107.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 65

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Based on your battery stats you should be able to go a full day on it. If you turn data off when you don't need it you will also save juice.

Also just plug it in at night, and problem solved.

Edit: your standby percentage is a bit wacky though. I just checked my phone and after 9+ hrs. My stand by is at 4%.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
umm yes it is matter of fact that is horrible...ever used an iphone before?

Ever heard of a BlackBerry? You could get 3 days out of one. Why? Smaller screen, less power, no multi tasking etc. We are talking about a Samsung Galaxy S III here, not an iphone.

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Ever heard of a BlackBerry? You could get 3 days out of one. Why? Smaller screen, less power, no multi tasking etc. We are talking about a Samsung Galaxy S III here, not an iphone.

Lol, I would take an iPhone over the GS3 any day of the week! and the battery life on the 4, 4s, and 5 is much better than the GS3, I have a 4S, a 5 and a GS3.

Zero Hunter

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
iphone batteries seem to be a hit/miss kind of thing. From what I seen, some people either get excellent life out of them whereas others need to charge it every 8 hours.

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
mine is showing 12 hours and 22%. the problem is that I can go days sometimes and no problem. I mean I hardly use my phone during the day. Most of the time when I get home from work its still at 85% then all of a sudden like this morning I picked up the phone to fire off a quick text and 5 hours in I'm down to 49%. I wonder what the heck. There is another thread on here about this same problem and some folks have spent days and days trying to figure what is causing it. Nothing has been decided yet because they can'tseem to narrow it down to any one thing. I can't even find out if samsung or the android world even admits there is a problem. Thats what is troubling. The manufacture won't even acknowledge a problem exist. If it was normal it would behave the same day in day out with similar use. Mine goes from one end of the specturm and back with similar use day to day. beats the heck out of me. I thought I would not make it home today

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Lol, I would take an iPhone over the GS3 any day of the week! and the battery life on the 4, 4s, and 5 is much better than the GS3, I have a 4S, a 5 and a GS3.
That made me laugh. Chances are if you got another 4, 4S, and S3 the results would be very different.

computist

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, really 85% battery after almost 3 hours isn't that bad... Sure we would like it to be better but it's not really to far off from normal.... First 10% of battery loss always seems to go fast from full charge..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I agree with this. In fact, I'd kill to get that kind of battery life on my GS3. I have to charge my phone several times a day and typically, I lose 75% - 80% of battery life in ~ 5 hours or less. And this is while just using the phone to play some music stored on the SDCard, with nothing else going on and all of the typical battery killers turned off. Any kind of "real" use (email, web browsing, texting) cuts my battery life to around 3 hours for 100% to completely empty. I've had several Verizon techs tell me this is about average for the SG3. I've come to accept poor battery performance as part of the Android experience.

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Ha! I have a gs3 and my girlfriend who lives with me has a small screen iphone 4s, and she certainly doesn't get more battery life than i do. And for the record i would chose my Gs3 over her small screen handicapped iphone any day of the month!!!

ItsMeMandi

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
When I'm out with friends their iphones are always dying... I've never had battery envy over a iphone . I was in the city for 12 hours the other day and with heavy use (checking fantasy app excessively all day, texting, tweeting) I still had 20% battery. My biggest battery saver is putting the screen on minimum when inside. The first 25% definitely goes much faster than the rest of the battery.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
i suffer no hardships doing this -

Battery Tips for Android

1. Toggle off LTE, WIFI, GPS, BT, NFC, Hotspot. Toggle on as needed.
2. Display Brightness - Turn off Auto Brightness and Reduce Setting Bar to Minimum.
3. Sign out of Google Latitude, GTalk, G+, Google Now, and Messenger. Disable Location Reporting/History.
4. Beware of constantly syncing Apps and Bloatware like Facebook, Twitter, News, Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more.
5. Turn off keyboard haptic feedback.
6. Don't use Live Wallpaper. Use dark wallpaper if possible.
7. Set Display Sleep Setting to 2 Minutes or Less.
8. Set WIFI to Always stay on during Sleep if you regularly use WIFI.
9. Turn off vibrate for Emails.
10. Be careful of using too many live widgets.
11. Sync Exchange Emails 30 Days or less.
12. Do NOT use a Task Killer App.

Gekko is absolutely correct. Do not use any task killer such as Juice Defender. You can do the same thing without them by turning off data when not using it and freezing apps that suck the life out of your battery. Apps like juice defender normally causes more issues than they fix.

gpdaddy95

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

I might just gt my old flip phone out using that logic....if you're going to use a smartphone, use one with TODAY'S technology, not something that's two years old on the day it's released.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I might just gt my old flip phone out using that logic....if you're going to use a smartphone, use one with TODAY'S technology, not something that's two years old on the day it's released.

lol i saw such a tiny lil flipphone yday for ?10 (like $14) bit off topic soz but it would be great as a phone for when i have my mad wkends and only have to ring taxis.. bet the battery would last like a week :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site

Everyone's bashing this but I want to know specifically why you choose the iphone over the GS3. I see so many reasons why the GS3 is better but I'm curious is there anything that would make the iphone better than the s3?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Everyone's bashing this but I want to know specifically why you choose the iphone over the GS3. I see so many reasons why the GS3 is better but I'm curious is there anything that would make the iphone better than the s3?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The main "feature" of an iPhone is its lack of features. And I'm not joking. People like it because they get a smooth touch screen with lots of apps but very few ways to veer off the one path you can walk. Most people that go from Android to iPhone are people that have no desire to learn how to use their device or care about customization or were confused by all the options in Android. They are typically users that are okay with getting 50% of the features in a phone that does 90% of them very well. But i think this is now changing a bit more with the maps and Google integration debacle. People need this in their core is and apple let users down big time.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
lol i saw such a tiny lil flipphone yday for ?10 (like $14) bit off topic soz but it would be great as a phone for when i have my mad wkends and only have to ring taxis.. bet the battery would last like a week :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Or you could just buy a spare battery on eBay :rolleyes:

pkgear

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site

interesting that you're posting here then...

and is it normal to have my cell battery take 57% for standby? and 12 for screen?
seems like a lot just for standby

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
interesting that you're posting here then...

and is it normal to have my cell battery take 57% for standby? and 12 for screen?
seems like a lot just for standby

That isn't normal at all. It seems like your battery has processes running in the background or it's defective. I couldn't get 57% standby if I tried. After 12 hours, my phone has 10% standby and 47% screen with 35% battery left. And mine is only a SGS2 which is worse than the S3.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish