Trouble connecting Kies Air / Airdroid to mac

feenixfly

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm very new to android and smartphones. But I was trying to sync my gs3 to my mac (10.7.5) using kies air and airdroid, but for some reason when I enter the URL given, it fails to connect. Yes, I made sure the device and my mac is on the same network, plus I've tried on 3 different browsers: chrome, firefox and safari. No luck. Any ideas how I could fix / get around this to sync photos, music, files, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Are you accepting the connection on your S3 once you enter the URL from your Mac? If not then the browser session will terminate. Another thing I've noticed on this part of the connection pairing process is that if your screen does an auto lock or turns off then its easy to miss seeing that one last step. The URL requires the full IP address along with the port #, so may want to double check that the URL string you've entered into your Mac browser matches exactly to the URL string that the Kies Air app shows. Another possibility, although remote, is that your Mac firewall may treat the Kies Air address as malicious. So may not hurt to confirm that the return connection attempts from the phone back to your Mac are not being blocked.

feenixfly

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Are you accepting the connection on your S3 once you enter the URL from your Mac? If not then the browser session will terminate. Another thing I've noticed on this part of the connection pairing process is that if your screen does an auto lock or turns off then its easy to miss seeing that one last step. The URL requires the full IP address along with the port #, so may want to double check that the URL string you've entered into your Mac browser matches exactly to the URL string that the Kies Air app shows. Another possibility, although remote, is that your Mac firewall may treat the Kies Air address as malicious. So may not hurt to confirm that the return connection attempts from the phone back to your Mac are not being blocked.

Nothing came up for me to accept/decline, it just keeps loading then failed (on the browser). I also tried extending the screen timeout (from 30 s to 2 mins), with no luck, no pop-up to ask for access. The URL is also rejected, saying stuff like... "Oops, Google Chrome could not connect to ..." And I don't think the mac firewall has anything to do with it.. Hmm..

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Are you getting a digital beep sound that is accompanied by the Access request popup in the Kies Air app? The popup dialog box says "Access request" and will list your Mac's hostname with a prompt to Allow access from: hostname. It also lists your network name (SSID), and two buttons for either Deny or Allow. An option exists to remember for the day. Choose Allow, and you should get a connection from your Mac to the Kies Air web server on your S3.

Based upon your response that you did not get an Accept/Deny prompt, then it almost sounds like Kies Air app on your S3 is not started. There's an option to Start Kies Air when you first open the app. Sorry if I'm repeating anything you've already tried, just trying to be complete in the step by step process.

feenixfly

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Are you getting a digital beep sound that is accompanied by the Access request popup in the Kies Air app? The popup dialog box says "Access request" and will list your Mac's hostname with a prompt to Allow access from: hostname. It also lists your network name (SSID), and two buttons for either Deny or Allow. An option exists to remember for the day. Choose Allow, and you should get a connection from your Mac to the Kies Air web server on your S3.

Based upon your response that you did not get an Accept/Deny prompt, then it almost sounds like Kies Air app on your S3 is not started. There's an option to Start Kies Air when you first open the app. Sorry if I'm repeating anything you've already tried, just trying to be complete in the step by step process.

Nope, no beep sound.. Yup, I clicked "start" and it pops up the URL I need to enter and the network I'm connected to. Well, the last thing I haven't tried is going on Parallels Desktop and trying this on the IE browser; and possibly trying it on someone else's Mac.

Thanks for your help though! :) Currently managing with bluetooth connection for now.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
No problem, glad to at least try to help. Did you get this solved? I'm curious to know.

Another thought I had was to do a ping test from your MacBook to your Kies Air IP address. That should at least confirm if the path to the S3 is functional.
The Network Utility has a Port Scan feature. I ran it against my active Kies Air session, and received the following results:

Port Scan has started...

Port Scanning host: x.x.x.x (where x represents an octet or decimal value)

Open TCP Port: 6790 hnmp
Open TCP Port: 7474
Open TCP Port: 8080 http-alt
Open TCP Port: 33591

Notice that the line with Port: 8080 is in bold and italics. I added the emphasis to show that this is the Port # that the Kies Air web services uses. If my Kies Air session were not started, not reachable via my home LAN, or for some reason the http daemon on the S3 failed to start; then the Port Scan would not have returned a positive response for Kies Air.

feenixfly

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Problem solved!!! I just simply changed the USB connection from MTP to PTP and launch it via AFT and it worked! Finally a way to sync. Well, the airdroid and kies air still aren't working though, which is okay. :)