Please tell me why the S3 is better than an iPhone.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
@apollo tbh out of all the forums on this site, id say this one has the most ex-iphone users so it has a fairly good bias :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I used to be a big Apple user (and still am with the Mac lineup!) up until last year when 4G LTE became the new standard. I use my phone a lot and I need it to have lighting fast internet connection that is always on and always fast which 3G on Verizon is neither! When the iP4 was announced and everyone was shocked that it failed to have LTE connectivity I decided the gig was up and switched to the Thunderbolt and while that device had its quirks, I loved the actual OS! The shear ability to have complete control over the device all the way down to boot animations was like being set free on the playground as a little kid!

Now I cannot speak from experience on the SGS3 because I have the Droid Razr but just from the standpoint of actual OS I can tell you that the SGS3 (running android) blows anything Cupertino can make out of the water! The full 720p HD display is stunning and who would want a puny little 4inch display? Not anyone who likes to play games, surf the internet, watch movies / tv shows, use Apps, etc! Actual performance is about the same but the funny thing is that the SGS3 is over 6 months old and it is still being compared to the NEW iPhone 5! Just wait until the SGS4 is released sometime in the next few months and then we can do a real comparison or even when the new Nexus device(s) are released this holiday season! Build quality varies depending on your view.... If you like a device that may not feel solid but yet it can survive a beating then the S3 is the one for you but if you like a premium feeling device that you want to wave around like a hundred dollar bill but as soon as you drop the phone on the ground (or anywhere else) it breaks into a million shiny pieces then the iP5 is for you!

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
How about Google integration? I use Gmail (I also have my university email in Gmail) and Google contacts, Google calendar, Google drive, Google Reader, Google Music etc.. quite intensively and to have all this seamlessly synchronized on my phone is great. I'm missing out on Google Chrome on my phone for now but hopefully not for much longer.

I don't know how all this synchronisation would work out in iOS but would be curious to find out.

I'm also quite excited about the ability to take actions from the notification panel in jelly bean. The idea of being able to delete an email without even having to open the app sounds great!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I like this post and has a lot of information. Instead of posting the SG3 is better and that is fact. People need to stop trying to justifying their devices. Like I said before the SG3 isn't better and benchmarks show that and that is actually a fact. I use to think apple fanboys were bad but for the last year it seems android fanboys have gotton twice as worst
I love how people keep bringing up benchmarks in favor of the iPhone 5. Yes some show that the i5 performed better than the S3 but others say the opposite so it kinda makes it a moot point.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I like this post and has a lot of information. Instead of posting the SG3 is better and that is fact. People need to stop trying to justifying their devices. Like I said before the SG3 isn't better and benchmarks show that and that is actually a fact. I use to think apple fanboys were bad but for the last year it seems android fanboys have gotton twice as worst

Just look at it overall... It all depends on what u want but when it comes to features, the S3 triumphs over iphone factually, but when it comes to speed,battery life and business efficency, I'd say the iphone is better...Me being an iphone user for a long time I had switched becuz I just needed more functionality... I love that the S3 uses a MicroSD card its easier to transfer music via disk mounting than iTunes, I hated waiting for my music to sync, I love that it has LED notification like blackberries used to have, and I actually like the customizable interface because I like to change it every once in a while, and I also found out I can connect my PS3 controller to play games which I do

Iphone is a really good too its fast and doesn't lag and GREAT battery, but having kept the same interface for a long time it gets boring (to me)... Even Windows Phone is more customizable than iphone... I think iphone is better for business, but iphone does have a lot of supported accessories which is also a good thing, but also no camera features such as exposure or effects like they have on the Mac, that was a first for me as all my previous phones had camera effects

My opinion overall, the S3 has many more features and that's what made me love it more... Some people may not use all the features but for me, more latest features is a better phone for me, again it depends on the kind of person u are... I wouldn't say they are the same and thus is an unbiased opinion

The thing I do hate about Android is the apps always force closing randomly its annoying

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

Last edited:

NYC Dude

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
How about Google integration? I use Gmail (I also have my university email in Gmail) and Google contacts, Google calendar, Google drive, Google Reader, Google Music etc.. quite intensively and to have all this seamlessly synchronized on my phone is great. I'm missing out on Google Chrome on my phone for now but hopefully not for much longer.

I don't know how all this synchronisation would work out in iOS but would be curious to find out.

I'm also quite excited about the ability to take actions from the notification panel in jelly bean. The idea of being able to delete an email without even having to open the app sounds great!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Android Central Forums

I have both my Gmail and university email synced via exchange. I also have google contacts and google calendar synced also. It works great. I don't use google drive or google reader so I can't speak on that. Google music is probably what I'm going to miss most as there is no native app for iOS. Just a web app that sucks imo.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
theres no point talkin about benchmarks unless youre comparing both phones on their latest o/s i think
as for integration... android source code is completely open, select "share" and all relevant apps pop up for you to choose from etc.... i honestly dont know if ios does this?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
theres no point talkin about benchmarks unless youre comparing both phones on their latest o/s i think
as for integration... android source code is completely open, select "share" and all relevant apps pop up for you to choose from etc.... i honestly dont know if ios does this?

Doesn't show nearly as many options as Android does apparently.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't show nearly as many options as Android does apparently.

i kinda thought that just because everything is so locked down with apple. i love when a new app apears in a list of "complete using" or whatever :)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
That isn't a fact at all.

Ecosystem, iOS has the best apps. The performance of the apps are smoother in comparison to android often times. Also there are many iOS exclusives not available on android. And often times you have to wait forever if a app is to crossover (many don't). Forget people telling you your locked into iTunes. Android doesn't have a official sync app. I have to root to back up app data. And on android you either use the Google play store or the amazon app store (many just use the google play store) so its the same thing. My girlfriend works in the medical field as a registered nurse and there are great medical apps on iOS.

I agree with many of your points, but many are a personal preference ie: the battery thing is debatable and because you can swap batteries I give the nod to android every time.

Where I do find fault is in the comment above regarding the apps. People always say that the apple store is better and has more exclusive apps but whenever I ask which ones they are referring to I get little to no response. The fact of the matter is that Android is catching apple and will soon surpass them if things continue to grow at the current rate. The apple app dev kit is better than Android, but Google is working hard to correct this. Regardless, Android also has many exclusive apps, games and features that ios doesn't have. So please enlightened me with these must have apps that we are missing out on (and no nursing apps please as l doubt the OP will benefit from these)

And as for the sync app... why would anyone sync anything on android? I use Google music which syncs automatically for music. I use companion link to automatically sync my calendar and contacts from my desktop Outlook and if I want to put anything else on my phone I can just plug the phone in and drag the files onto my phone just like a USB stick. So, I'm not seeing the logic here.

And as for backing up app data, you can choose to backup all of your apps and settings to your Google account. No rooting needed. I just did a full reset on my phone and 2 tablets over the last couple of weeks and they all worked perfectly. All my apps were there after the reset. And there are also other apps that can keep a full list of your apps if you don't want to use the restore feature or root.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I love how people keep bringing up benchmarks in favor of the iPhone 5. Yes some show that the i5 performed better than the S3 but others say the opposite so it kinda makes it a moot point.

The ip5 beat the dual core s3 but then international version beat the ip5 by a small margin. Regardless I'm not sure this makes much difference other than adding a feather into someone's ego cap.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
The ip5 beat the dual core s3 but then international version beat the ip5 by a small margin. Regardless I'm not sure this makes much difference other than adding a feather into someone's ego cap.

was the quad core running JB mate.
i realise benchmarks are synthetic but theyre called "benchmark" for a reason. (something to do with marking a standard dimension on a work bench to measure every part from or something?) lol
omg sometimes my thumbs dont even ask my brain what to type i swear lol :)

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Because DROID mail drives me nuts. Try editing a forward before sending it. Or editing a quote in a reply.

Or forward part of a reply from a colleague sent to my home address to a customer from my work address.

This is important and common email workflow and Android simply does not support it. There are similar "rough edges" throughout the Android ecosphere. How about being able to define what account a voice command to send an email uses. Since you can't, and I don't use the default account for email, the voice command is useless to me.

It also drives me nuts that if I have reset my Android device, it takes the better part of a day to get back to the way it was. With iOS it is a single mouse click. What's really funny is that I have actually had to do that to Android devices twice within this year, and and never with an iOS devices in over 5 years (even running provisioned devices and early beta builds of various projects).

Just saying... there is plenty missing from Android as well.

I I haven't had any problems with emails, are you using the Gmail app or stock Samsung? I'm using stock Samsung email app at the moment, not sure if it's so easy with the Gmail app.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I see that 90% of iOS users that tried Android and talk negative about it obviously owned a 1-2 year old Android device, or older. I agree, 90% of Android in that time frame had many issues. But to be fair, when comparing to Apples flagship device (only device), one needs to compare it to a flagship Android device. And in my book that would be a GS3 or One-X, although the O-X has built in battery and no SD slot which are negatives in my book, same as an Apple.

I would say, in the big picture, the S3 rules in features, display, battery, smoothness, and 3 out of those 4 will only get better with Jelly Bean soon. My boss bought 3 new I phones last week and seems how he is an absolute idiot, I had to setup everything in the phones for him. I have to say, a LOT of stuff you do on a iPhone takes twice as many steps to do over an Android. And the stuff that has to be paid for! After setting up those three I phones and showing him how to run them I look at my S3 as an entire nother level above an iPhone but still as easy or easier to use.

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Honestly the SGS3 is pretty much last generation tech considering the new Nexus devices are due out with S4 Pro chipsets and full 1080p screens VERY soon and even the SGS4 sometime in early next year! I can't see how people can say the iP5 is better than the SGS3 based off of something like benchmarks (The US version was beat) because the SGS3 is over 6 months old! It was "new" when the iPhone 4S was considered "new" but yet the SGS3 (international version) can still beat the iP5 in benchmarks! Thats kinda sad, I can't wait to see what Google and Samsung put out over the next few months...then we will have true war against iP5!

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site

the International version does not beat the iphone 5. Also benchmarks do matter why would we act like they don't matter now when the iphone 5 comes out and beat all the android devices? this is the crap i'm talking about fanboyism going to a new low. First ppl like to throw benchmarks at apple fanboys faces but when apple is doing the winning benchmarks don't matter...WTF. Anyways this is the test AnandTech - The iPhone 5 Performance Preview now i'll wait for some tech noob trying to discredit Anandtech.

Last edited:

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
the International version does not beat the iphone 5. Also benchmarks do matter why would we act like they don't matter now when the iphone 5 comes out and beat all the android devices? this is the crap i'm talking about fanboyism going to a new low. First ppl like to throw benchmarks at apple fanboys faces but when apple is doing the winning benchmarks don't matter...WTF. Anyways this is the test AnandTech - The iPhone 5 Performance Preview now i'll wait for some tech noob trying to discredit Anandtech.

Benchmarks for 2 completely different operating systems... Not to split hairs or anything...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz