01-20-2013 03:39 PM
358 12345 ...
tools
    I love how people keep bringing up benchmarks in favor of the iPhone 5. Yes some show that the i5 performed better than the S3 but others say the opposite so it kinda makes it a moot point.
    The ip5 beat the dual core s3 but then international version beat the ip5 by a small margin. Regardless I'm not sure this makes much difference other than adding a feather into someone's ego cap.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-14-2012 05:17 PM
    The ip5 beat the dual core s3 but then international version beat the ip5 by a small margin. Regardless I'm not sure this makes much difference other than adding a feather into someone's ego cap.

was the quad core running JB mate.
    i realise benchmarks are synthetic but theyre called "benchmark" for a reason. (something to do with marking a standard dimension on a work bench to measure every part from or something?) lol
    omg sometimes my thumbs dont even ask my brain what to type i swear lol

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    10-14-2012 05:28 PM
    Ya it was running JB. You can you tube it.

10-14-2012 06:03 PM
    Because DROID mail drives me nuts. Try editing a forward before sending it. Or editing a quote in a reply.

Or forward part of a reply from a colleague sent to my home address to a customer from my work address.

This is important and common email workflow and Android simply does not support it. There are similar "rough edges" throughout the Android ecosphere. How about being able to define what account a voice command to send an email uses. Since you can't, and I don't use the default account for email, the voice command is useless to me.

It also drives me nuts that if I have reset my Android device, it takes the better part of a day to get back to the way it was. With iOS it is a single mouse click. What's really funny is that I have actually had to do that to Android devices twice within this year, and and never with an iOS devices in over 5 years (even running provisioned devices and early beta builds of various projects).

Just saying... there is plenty missing from Android as well.
    I I haven't had any problems with emails, are you using the Gmail app or stock Samsung? I'm using stock Samsung email app at the moment, not sure if it's so easy with the Gmail app.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    10-14-2012 06:39 PM
    Ya it was running JB. You can you tube it.

you got a link to hand bro?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    10-14-2012 06:53 PM
    I see that 90% of iOS users that tried Android and talk negative about it obviously owned a 1-2 year old Android device, or older. I agree, 90% of Android in that time frame had many issues. But to be fair, when comparing to Apples flagship device (only device), one needs to compare it to a flagship Android device. And in my book that would be a GS3 or One-X, although the O-X has built in battery and no SD slot which are negatives in my book, same as an Apple.

I would say, in the big picture, the S3 rules in features, display, battery, smoothness, and 3 out of those 4 will only get better with Jelly Bean soon. My boss bought 3 new I phones last week and seems how he is an absolute *****, I had to setup everything in the phones for him. I have to say, a LOT of stuff you do on a iPhone takes twice as many steps to do over an Android. And the stuff that has to be paid for! After setting up those three I phones and showing him how to run them I look at my S3 as an entire nother level above an iPhone but still as easy or easier to use.

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3
    10-14-2012 07:00 PM

Honestly the SGS3 is pretty much last generation tech considering the new Nexus devices are due out with S4 Pro chipsets and full 1080p screens VERY soon and even the SGS4 sometime in early next year! I can't see how people can say the iP5 is better than the SGS3 based off of something like benchmarks (The US version was beat) because the SGS3 is over 6 months old! It was "new" when the iPhone 4S was considered "new" but yet the SGS3 (international version) can still beat the iP5 in benchmarks! Thats kinda sad, I can't wait to see what Google and Samsung put out over the next few months...then we will have true war against iP5!
    10-14-2012 07:39 PM

the International version does not beat the iphone 5. Also benchmarks do matter why would we act like they don't matter now when the iphone 5 comes out and beat all the android devices? this is the crap i'm talking about fanboyism going to a new low. First ppl like to throw benchmarks at apple fanboys faces but when apple is doing the winning benchmarks don't matter...WTF. Anyways this is the test AnandTech - The iPhone 5 Performance Preview now i'll wait for some tech noob trying to discredit Anandtech.
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-14-2012 08:16 PM
    the International version does not beat the iphone 5. Also benchmarks do matter why would we act like they don't matter now when the iphone 5 comes out and beat all the android devices? this is the crap i'm talking about fanboyism going to a new low. First ppl like to throw benchmarks at apple fanboys faces but when apple is doing the winning benchmarks don't matter...WTF. Anyways this is the test AnandTech - The iPhone 5 Performance Preview now i'll wait for some tech noob trying to discredit Anandtech.
    Benchmarks for 2 completely different operating systems... Not to split hairs or anything...

10-14-2012 08:33 PM
    Benchmarks for 2 completely different operating systems... Not to split hairs or anything...

and none of that mattered before so your point?
    10-14-2012 08:35 PM
    Read the forums, people have been saying benchmarks don't matter since I've been here

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    10-14-2012 09:09 PM
    7. Stability, android on 4.0 and 4.1 has greatly improved the stability of android. It is a huge difference from previous versions but I still give the lead to iOS.

Do iOS Apps Crash More Than Android Apps? A Data Dive - Forbes
    10-14-2012 09:14 PM
    Read the forums, people have been saying benchmarks don't matter since I've been here

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    read the forums? I read the forums everyday and I know what I see.
    10-14-2012 09:23 PM
    well well well.....
    10-14-2012 10:11 PM
    Why I choose Android over the iPhone? Choice. So many choices. I started out wanting a physical keyboard so the iPhone was never in the running from day one...lol.

Why I would pick the GS3 over the iPhone? After getting the Droid X1....I just like bigger phones. I know the iPhone 5 is bigger than previous versions. But 4.3", 4.5" might be my preference. I handled an Incredible LTE and it seemed small. I like the custom UI's for what they bring to the table as far as uniqueness. And I like some of the features of Touchwiz and the GS3.

Android vs iOS? I just like the many customizations you can do to Android out the box. 2 years ago I changed the launcher on my Droid X1....my kids n their mother thought I had a new phone...lol. Didnt need to root, just get an app from the Market.

To me, its not so much one is better than the other....its about what you like, dont like......want, dont want. For me, Android is a better choice. So it depends on what you want in, from a phone.
    neiljay6 likes this.
    10-14-2012 10:12 PM
    Now see, this is one area where Apple really shines. They don't release 50 devices a year. I honestly prefer their one device a year business model. 6 months is a long time in the tech world, but it's all about usability. Jelly Bean will only make the SGIII that much better.
    dobermans rule likes this.
    10-14-2012 10:29 PM
    Just thought I'd throw this in here lol
    Here for the full size image: http://adsoftheworld.com/files/image...iphone5-ad.jpg
    Please tell me why the S3 is better than an iPhone.-samsung-iphone5-ad.jpg
    10-14-2012 10:35 PM

Well even then none of the benchmarks show more than a slight difference so it's a small feather at best. :P But some people will use anything as a reason to say their device is better.
    10-14-2012 10:47 PM
    What I really find most interesting here as an ex iPhone user is that many of you are claiming that benchmarks, and specs don't matter. More than likely when they don't tend to favor your device, and/or platform but the persona that most Android users tend to have is that it's all about specs. Even Samsung with their "it doesn't take a genius" ad seems to think it's all about the specs. When honestly it's always been about the usability of the device. Considering the average user doesn't even know what the specs of their device are. My 2 cents. :-/
    10-14-2012 10:48 PM
    It's does 720p, the iphone 5 doesn't though it claims it does

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!
    Apple has never claimed its an HD screen.

And the resolution is irrelevant as long as the ppi is high. (Which is the only reason android devices went to 720p to begin with)
    10-14-2012 10:55 PM

And the resolution is irrelevant as long as the ppi is high. (Which is the only reason android devices went to 720p to begin with)
    Well it does make a difference though in terms of screen size, it looks better technically When playing a 720p video on a 720p screen size

Im not saying iPhone 5 is bad for movies, Im just stating a difference
    10-14-2012 11:03 PM
    I agree with many of your points, but many are a personal preference ie: the battery thing is debatable and because you can swap batteries I give the nod to android every time.

Where I do find fault is in the comment above regarding the apps. People always say that the apple store is better and has more exclusive apps but whenever I ask which ones they are referring to I get little to no response. The fact of the matter is that Android is catching apple and will soon surpass them if things continue to grow at the current rate. The apple app dev kit is better than Android, but Google is working hard to correct this. Regardless, Android also has many exclusive apps, games and features that ios doesn't have. So please enlightened me with these must have apps that we are missing out on (and no nursing apps please as l doubt the OP will benefit from these)
    There are some GREAT photography apps that are iOS only that I missed when I went to android. The apps on android have gotten better, but they're just not as good. It's not even the availability, it's the quality of the apps themselves.

And as for the sync app... why would anyone sync anything on android? I use Google music which syncs automatically for music. I use companion link to automatically sync my calendar and contacts from my desktop Outlook and if I want to put anything else on my phone I can just plug the phone in and drag the files onto my phone just like a USB stick. So, I'm not seeing the logic here.
    If you're on a tiered data plan, google music isn't an option. Or, if you want your music to sound good it isn't an option either. And newer phones like the GS3 do not have a drag and drop option if you're on anything except windows.

And as for backing up app data, you can choose to backup all of your apps and settings to your Google account. No rooting needed. I just did a full reset on my phone and 2 tablets over the last couple of weeks and they all worked perfectly. All my apps were there after the reset. And there are also other apps that can keep a full list of your apps if you don't want to use the restore feature or root.

Backing up apps and app data are two different things. Apple's backups, including their new iCloud backups, actually backup in app data. So when your apps are restored, all of the data within the app, and the app's settings, are all restored too. Android doesn't do that.
    Glitzy35 likes this.
    10-14-2012 11:04 PM

Well the site is somewhat misleading in a way
    Apple - iPhone 5 - It
    10-14-2012 11:06 PM
    The only drawback with thew iPhone compared to the GS3 is that its not necessarily caught up with the most latest tech that these newer phones have...Its not much changed from the 4S, and Apple is known for doing that with all their phones, which is the reason I don't like Apple...they want to do everything on their own

iPhone is only good when you jailbreak it, other than that, its pretty much a basic phone with a lot of apps
    The GS3 is fully customizable right out the box but falls back in battery life and freezing

The GS3 with its powerful processor kind of fixes that but not really, but I mean it has a lot of the basic features not found in iPhone unless you get an app or jailbreak
    10-14-2012 11:10 PM
    Now see, this is one area where Apple really shines. They don't release 50 devices a year. I honestly prefer their one device a year business model. 6 months is a long time in the tech world, but it's all about usability. Jelly Bean will only make the SGIII that much better.
    I find that to be a double edged sword..sure with Apple, when you buy an iPhone you don't need to worry about another phone thats better being released in 1 month like Android. But each year iPhone is getting less and less innovative and more and more dull. In 2 years apple with go to a 4.5" and maybe notification toggles.

Apple really needs to breathe some fresh air into iOS. I used to get the iPod Touch every year but I'm so fed up with the stale OS that I'm selling my iTouch4 and passing on the 5.
    10-14-2012 11:27 PM
358 12345 ...