Please tell me why the S3 is better than an iPhone.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree. But could be good for some people that don't care so much about specs and find the S3 to big

Let me give you a half baked number lol

Roughly 1,000,000,000 active smartphones worldwide
Xda ( I use it as its one of the largest sites with fairly tech minded individuals for smartphones) has 4,960,296 registered members

That comes out to just under .5% of smartphone users

So we are a microcosm yes there are others grab ios's largest jailbreak site and wp ( which coincidentally may also be xda) and those numbers may add up to 2 maybe 3% tops.

All I'm saying is people who really care about what's under the hood are a small group please don't go starting a bashfest on this it's just a quick perspective glance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
having Jellybean, i can now say that the voice recognition in google Now (never thought id use it) is the BEST at understanding a strong Scottish accent, including Siri :)
its the only voice rec' ive ever found remotely useful :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

emathed

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll try reinstalling Skype (no other option since everyone I need to talk to uses it, sort of a corporate standard).
As for using voice, that never seemed to work for me in noisy environments, not to mention I don't want anyone "listening in" on my conversations :)

I have problems with Skype dropping calls. I call to Brazil all the time and just started having problems with it on my GS3. To me, Skype is always a little buggy on cell phones so it may just be a glitch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

rteichman

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
having Jellybean, i can now say that the voice recognition in google Now (never thought id use it) is the BEST at ...
As a previous iPhone 4s owner, and from my previous posts a person who usually has his hands full, I can say that voice recognition is great until you really need it. Then you find out how inaccurate it is. When I was in my car and used Siri to read and answer a friend's text, it always worked flawlessly. When I needed to respond to work immediately and could not type, it always messed up. :)

BTW, I am not complaining about the size. I knew it could be an issue when I bought the phone, but I wanted the best hardware out there. I'm trying to find a way to use it so I don't have to return it. Returning the phone is my last resort option.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I was just playing with my friends iPhone and I must say the "Menu" button on the GS3 (and any android) is just GREAT! I hated having to quit the app just to go to settings and altering the settings of the app from there, then having to close settings and go back into the app and start over again

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
As a previous iPhone 4s owner, and from my previous posts a person who usually has his hands full, I can say that voice recognition is great until you really need it. Then you find out how inaccurate it is. When I was in my car and used Siri to read and answer a friend's text, it always worked flawlessly. When I needed to respond to work immediately and could not type, it always messed up. :)

BTW, I am not complaining about the size. I knew it could be an issue when I bought the phone, but I wanted the best hardware out there. I'm trying to find a way to use it so I don't have to return it. Returning the phone is my last resort option.

yeah id NEVER use voice rec' for important things but it actualy saves time when asking it to convert measurements or currency, things like that :)
and now that ive changed language from "english UK" to "english generic" it understands me much better :)

and using a grippy case really helps when usin s3 coz u KNOW you wont drop it :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
this case cost me 99p inc' shipping (like $1.40?) and its without a doubt my fav' functional case, it just sticks to your fingers at the back
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2264588
EDIT: i see the price has gone up after my glowing review :)

i use a nice leather flip case for screen protection but this one is honestly my fav and works really well :)

caferacer99

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from Iphone 4 to GS3 and my wife was deciding between upgrading to the Iphone 5 or getting the GS3 too.

She was happy with her Iphone. She was thinking about switching because of the larger screen and because I was all giddy about what I could do on Andriod that I couldn't do in IOS. I showed her how I customized my homescreens and had the widgets for the calendar and music on there too. I started to describe to her how I downloaded a new launcher that allowed more customization and then an app that allowed me to create new icons and then showed her the steps to create a "direct dial" icon so I could call her with one click...

At some point in showing her this stuff her eyes kind of glazed over with that look that says: "I'll never do any of that."

No matter how cool she may think Android tweaks are in the abstract, she's not going to take the time to learn how to do them. So she gets an Iphone. She just wants a phone that works and doesn't care if she's missing out on a few things.

I think everyone likes the IDEA of customizing their phone, but not the reality of actually doing it. If you are an Iphone user and you do the research and see what is possible with Android and that DOESN'T excite the hell out of you, or it sounds really complicated to you, then you shouldn't switch.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
+1

thats why i tell most people to just get an iphone or a nice cheap dumbphone :)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I just switched from Iphone 4 to GS3 and my wife was deciding between upgrading to the Iphone 5 or getting the GS3 too.

She was happy with her Iphone. She was thinking about switching because of the larger screen and because I was all giddy about what I could do on Andriod that I couldn't do in IOS. I showed her how I customized my homescreens and had the widgets for the calendar and music on there too. I started to describe to her how I downloaded a new launcher that allowed more customization and then an app that allowed me to create new icons and then showed her the steps to create a "direct dial" icon so I could call her with one click...

At some point in showing her this stuff her eyes kind of glazed over with that look that says: "I'll never do any of that."

No matter how cool she may think Android tweaks are in the abstract, she's not going to take the time to learn how to do them. So she gets an Iphone. She just wants a phone that works and doesn't care if she's missing out on a few things.

I think everyone likes the IDEA of customizing their phone, but not the reality of actually doing it. If you are an Iphone user and you do the research and see what is possible with Android and that DOESN'T excite the hell out of you, or it sounds really complicated to you, then you shouldn't switch.

I agree and am finding the exact same thing, but there are some simple things that android does that would be used by her. Sharing of things is huge. So many options. File compatability is also huge. SwiftKey keyboard and you are all set.

You could set up her S3 to look just like an iPhone and she would have everything she could need. Plus a nice big screen.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
You could set up her S3 to look just like an iPhone and she would have everything she could need. Plus a nice big screen.

SACRELIGE!!! :p

Sourborn

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I was in a similar boat but after using the GS3 for about a month now I am firmly sold.

The ability to root and install custom ROMs, entirely customize my home screen, access my entire folder hierarchy and the simple fact I never again have to use iTunes are reasons enough for me.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
SACRELIGE!!! :p

Lol. Well what I mean is install everything she needs, line them all up on a couple of screens make the icons show up after install and she won't get confused.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
lol i know mate. was just kiddin :)
just dont put any apple wallpapers or icons on it or google will strike it down :)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
lol i know mate. was just kiddin :)
just dont put any apple wallpapers or icons on it or google will strike it down :)

That would definitely not be okay.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
once she gets to grips with it, she might get more adventurous mate :)
or is she just not that type? (my fiance went back to blackberry after me giving her my old rooted modded over-clocked android lol :eek:

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
As far as iPhone to android conversions go lewa is a recreation of ios for android and miui is also a great starter just my. 02

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site

Just helped my wife make the same decision...one other nice thing about the having multiple GS3's in the house is you can use S-Beam to transfer photos/videos to each other wirelessly. And she *seriously* wanted the bigger screen. The iphone5 screen is just a waste....all the extra pixels for....one extra row of icons???? :p
She's adapting to it....the few apps she had on the iphone were also on android so it was easy. She mostly uses it for a phone/email/web browser, and web browsing on a bigger screen is just better. But she's also playing w/ the neat Samsung S-* tricks too, so she's enjoying it so far. She won't install custom roms or go nuts replacing launchers and home screens, but she did like the widgets concept as being more useful than friggin' icons on the desktop :)

- - - Updated - - -

Just helped my wife make the same decision...one other nice thing about the having multiple GS3's in the house is you can use S-Beam to transfer photos/videos to each other wirelessly. And she *seriously* wanted the bigger screen. The iphone5 screen is just a waste....all the extra pixels for....one extra row of icons???? :p
She's adapting to it....the few apps she had on the iphone were also on android so it was easy. She mostly uses it for a phone/email/web browser, and web browsing on a bigger screen is just better. But she's also playing w/ the neat Samsung S-* tricks too, so she's enjoying it so far. She won't install custom roms or go nuts replacing launchers and home screens, but she did like the widgets concept as being more useful than friggin' icons on the desktop :)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
once she gets to grips with it, she might get more adventurous mate :)
or is she just not that type? (my fiance went back to blackberry after me giving her my old rooted modded over-clocked android lol :eek:

Mine used a touch screen for 2 days and went back to blackberry too. Lol. But she is looking to buy a smart phone soon. The iPhone keeps calling to her. But I think most of that is marketing crap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol