Freezing problems on Samsung Galaxy S3

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
i have been experiencing the freeze and excessively long charging time but it only started happening after i installed JB 4.1.2.

before now, my experience with wifi is that it greatly improves my battery time since the phone doesn't have to stretch so much to get solid data throughput but since i installed 4.1.2, even in very strong wifi area, the phone discharges battery faster than the charger can replace. it freezes constantly and any action can trigger the freeze. its been going on for about 3 weeks and i was wondering if i picked up a virus

It's possible, but my guess is that it's just something related to the JB update. Sometimes when you update the OS, it doesn't play nice with some setting or file made by the older OS. Most people who updated to JB and found highly quirky issues who bothered to do a factory reset find the bugs go away (I'm one of them). My battery drainage increased after updating to JB, but then after a factory reset, it went back to normal. Under no circumstances should your battery discharge faster than it can charge (unless you're doing something crazy like downloading a game while using navigation while on a bluetooth call in an area with one bar of cell service all at the same time).

Install a virus checker and see if it spots anything (I use Lookout). If not, try a factory reset.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my second GS3 and all freeze as I move in and out of different network connections. I can recreate the problem at any time if I am connect to a WiFi source and simply go into settings and disable WiFi. Screen freezes. I have to hold down power to reboot. Has anybody had this phone for more than a month and NOT had this problem?

I've had my GS3 since July 6, and I've neve experienced this problem. The only thing I can think of is that you have some 3rd party app that uses Wifi and is causing a conflict. If your phone is freezing, it's usually due to some process freaking out and holding your processor hostage. If it's always related to WiFi, either another app is causing the conflict or your wifi antenna or processor is defective. If it's happened on two different GS3s, then it's more than likely some other app causing the conflict and not a hardware issue.

R McIntyre

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Might be a fluke, but might be fixed for me.

Been having this problem which was gradually getting worse for the past week, to the point that it was freezing every 5 mins or so.

I ran System Tuner to examine the logs, and what processes were kicking out errors. I noticed a few, but one that I noticed hogging a lot of CPU time was Simple alarm clock.

I have no alarms set, and this is a Samsung process rather than the stock android one, so I disabled it. Since then the phone appears stable. Might be coincidence, because before hand, I had a freeze, and left it, and it eventually unfroze itself without rebooting. So one of these actions appears to have fixed mine. Fingers crossed... it'll probably freeze as soon as I post this.

R McIntyre

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Forget it - Phone has just froze. Did last for a while this time, but not a fix.

Might be a fluke, but might be fixed for me.

Been having this problem which was gradually getting worse for the past week, to the point that it was freezing every 5 mins or so.

I ran System Tuner to examine the logs, and what processes were kicking out errors. I noticed a few, but one that I noticed hogging a lot of CPU time was Simple alarm clock.

I have no alarms set, and this is a Samsung process rather than the stock android one, so I disabled it. Since then the phone appears stable. Might be coincidence, because before hand, I had a freeze, and left it, and it eventually unfroze itself without rebooting. So one of these actions appears to have fixed mine. Fingers crossed... it'll probably freeze as soon as I post this.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It's possible, but my guess is that it's just something related to the JB update. Sometimes when you update the OS, it doesn't play nice with some setting or file made by the older OS. Most people who updated to JB and found highly quirky issues who bothered to do a factory reset find the bugs go away (I'm one of them). My battery drainage increased after updating to JB, but then after a factory reset, it went back to normal.

This. Be sure to back up your data before the factory reset.

galaxy_lover

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
We really need serious promise from Samsung co. To solve this problem that is really getting me upset and disappointed
I couldn't enjoy my new phone because of this major problem of freezing . We trust Samsung and buy their phones but they make us feel that our trust were wrong. They are losing a lot of customers because of this problem and we are seriously rethinking to change my phone and buy from other brands. I really liked my galaxy s3 but this freezing problem makes me angry.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
We really need serious promise from Samsung co. To solve this problem that is really getting me upset and disappointed
I couldn't enjoy my new phone because of this major problem of freezing . We trust Samsung and buy their phones but they make us feel that our trust were wrong. They are losing a lot of customers because of this problem and we are seriously rethinking to change my phone and buy from other brands. I really liked my galaxy s3 but this freezing problem makes me angry.

Factory reset and you should be fine!

Why can't Android Central make a sticky for these people..........my goodness!!!!

galaxy_lover

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Factory reset and you should be fine!

Why can't Android Central make a sticky for these people..........my goodness!!!!

Before you judge people ask first. I already made factory reset and it didn't work and I still have this problem so please don't try to make me think that I don't know how to use my phone .

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Before you judge people ask first. I already made factory reset and it didn't work and I still have this problem so please don't try to make me think that I don't know how to use my phone .

Of course, you could have mentioned that you already did a factory reset in your original post, then no one would have suggested it. When we have incomplete information, we can only make suggestions based on what we know. The more detailed information we have, on when it happens, and what you've already tried, the more we can try to help.

Constant freezing on a factory fresh device is not the norm. If it was, the forum would be filled with complaints, and it's not. After the reset, did you use the phone for a while with no 3rd party apps installed, or did you immediately start reinstalling apps? What configuration items, in settings, have you changed (if any)? Make sure Developer Options is off.

Does it only happen on WiFi, or only on cell data, or when switching between them? Is Bluetooth possibly a factor? If you normally use WiFi, try running without it for a couple of days. If you normally have BT on, try keeping it off.

If the phone freezes repeatedly with no 3rd party apps or configuration changes, it's defective, and should be returned for warranty repair. But whining that this is typical behavior for Samsung phones is just a waste of time. If you want to try to fix it, we'll help. If you just want to complain, most of us will ignore you.

galaxy_lover

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Of course, you could have mentioned that you already did a factory reset in your original post, then no one would have suggested it. When we have incomplete information, we can only make suggestions based on what we know. The more detailed information we have, on when it happens, and what you've already tried, the more we can try to help.

Constant freezing on a factory fresh device is not the norm. If it was, the forum would be filled with complaints, and it's not. After the reset, did you use the phone for a while with no 3rd party apps installed, or did you immediately start reinstalling apps? What configuration items, in settings, have you changed (if any)? Make sure Developer Options is off.

Does it only happen on WiFi, or only on cell data, or when switching between them? Is Bluetooth possibly a factor? If you normally use WiFi, try running without it for a couple of days. If you normally have BT on, try keeping it off.

If the phone freezes repeatedly with no 3rd party apps or configuration changes, it's defective, and should be returned for warranty repair. But whining that this is typical behavior for Samsung phones is just a waste of time. If you want to try to fix it, we'll help. If you just want to complain, most of us will ignore you.

I am not just complaining but I need some solution for this because before I wrote my comment I read most of last comments and tried most of them that why I write a comment because as I saw the problem is continuous for me even when I am offline or even when i am not using the phone I find it freezing . So any new suggestions or steps to follow ? Or should I take it bake to the local store?

jon2c

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with my sg3 just after upgrading to JellyBean 4.1.2 XXEMA2 for more than a week now, freezing every now and then, although the phone will fix itself after 15 to 20 minutes and it is really annoying.. Had a factory reset twice but no help. Three days ago, while my SG3 is under freeze state, i removed the battery, removed and transfered the sim to another phone because i need to call somebody. After about 30 minutes, i returned the sim to the SG3 and turned it on. I really cant tell if this fixed my unit but i never had a single freeze since then.

Keith Patrick

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
No, I don't believe I have a security app installed unless it was already pre-loaded with the phone (Verizon). Also, we haven't side-loaded any apps and I believe my wife and I have the same apps so far (we've only downloaded Advanced Task Killer, Speed Test, and Facebook). We both primarily use our smart phones for emailing, web browsing, navigation, and picture/video taking. Nothing too fancy...

Also, it has been at least a few days since I've downloaded a new app. I was on the CNN website right before the 1st freeze...

No need for a task killer.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

chewsc

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
i have the exactly same problem....frequent random freezing after upgraded to 4.1.2 so i've tried factory reset but its still the same. reset a few times. it freeze even when im trying to set up my phone for samsung account for the first time. no additional apps were installed yet....any solution yet?

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
No need for a task killer.

More than that. Task killers are a very bad idea on Android 4.x. Task killers will stop processes that Android needs to operate correctly. Android 4.x manages memory and tasks just fine on its own. Uninstall the Task Killer and I suspect your problem will be resolved.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I am not just complaining but I need some solution for this because before I wrote my comment I read most of last comments and tried most of them that why I write a comment because as I saw the problem is continuous for me even when I am offline or even when i am not using the phone I find it freezing . So any new suggestions or steps to follow ? Or should I take it bake to the local store?

I had the same problem with my sg3 just after upgrading to JellyBean 4.1.2 XXEMA2 for more than a week now, freezing every now and then, although the phone will fix itself after 15 to 20 minutes and it is really annoying.. Had a factory reset twice but no help. Three days ago, while my SG3 is under freeze state, i removed the battery, removed and transfered the sim to another phone because i need to call somebody. After about 30 minutes, i returned the sim to the SG3 and turned it on. I really cant tell if this fixed my unit but i never had a single freeze since then.

i have the exactly same problem....frequent random freezing after upgraded to 4.1.2 so i've tried factory reset but its still the same. reset a few times. it freeze even when im trying to set up my phone for samsung account for the first time. no additional apps were installed yet....any solution yet?

As written previously: If the phone freezes repeatedly with no 3rd party apps or configuration changes, it's defective, and should be returned for warranty repair.

But that means dead stock. If you've turned on developer options, gone behind the scenes to reset any hidden settings, or installed any 3rd party apps at all, do a factory reset and then make sure you continue to use the device dead stock. DON'T reinstall anything. If it still resets, then yes, take it back.

Axel43

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have just joined the forum as the same thing is happening to me. S3 running 4.1.2. I tried switching off wifi but it still happens. Dev options is off. I tried everything mentioned here but nothing changed. Phone worked well since it came out and have not installed any apps recently. I installed lockout to check for viruses - report was clean.

Before I do a factory reset, it's not essential but I'd prefer to back up both the SD and the internal memory. Can anyone recommended a painless way of doing that? The phone is not rooted. Thanks.

comshock25

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I am surprised a lot of people are having the same issue. My S3 started acting up a couple of days ago. I was suspecting Facebook was causing the issue because it always tops the process list.

I removed Facebook but the problems persists. I had to do a factory reset but it freezed again after installing Facebook and some other apps I use.

Factory reset once more. This time I did not install any apps. None of my usual. I just install add I need. No Facebook yet and no freezes so far.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Axel43

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I tried leaving the phone alone after it froze. After 10-15 mins it got back to life and it has not frozen since. I suggest everyone having problems tries this.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I have just joined the forum as the same thing is happening to me. S3 running 4.1.2. I tried switching off wifi but it still happens. Dev options is off. I tried everything mentioned here but nothing changed. Phone worked well since it came out and have not installed any apps recently. I installed lockout to check for viruses - report was clean.

Before I do a factory reset, it's not essential but I'd prefer to back up both the SD and the internal memory. Can anyone recommended a painless way of doing that? The phone is not rooted. Thanks.

If you can connect to a computer, just copy all the files and folders from the card and phone to a folder on your PC (or Mac).

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If you can connect to a computer, just copy all the files and folders from the card and phone to a folder on your PC (or Mac).

I'm not exactly sure but it may not be that easy on a Mac. You may have to go through i-tunes to validate the files and there could be a charge for the person to copy these files to another location. Apple products are the best because of this regulation!

.....ok ok I'm kidding but you guys get what I'm saying, lol! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance