What's one thing you dislike about your Galaxy S3?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I actually just got my 4200mah battery yesterday and my estimated time says 23hrs left lol I am no longer upset with my battery

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
If you're not married to Touchwiz and want to give JB a whirl, Cyanogen Mod has a built in LTE toggle.

Hello Cory,

Just an Android newbie here with a brand new GS3 and a silly question. How would one go about checking-out whether or not they might like to 'give JB a whirl', and Cyanogen Mod? What's the best way to do that. And do I first need to 'root' my phone? :confused: I have to admit something . . . I'm not even sure what 'root' means! lol

Btw, from Seattle too. Born & raised. ;) . . . just temp in Michigan for a few years. Miss it more than I can say.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The power button is directly on the other side of the volume buttons so I always end up pressing both.

Ditto.I've gotten into the habit of using the home button to wake the phone up.

I don't seem to have an issue with accidentally pressing the power button when changing the volume though...it was mostly with accidentally hitting the volume when pressing the power button.

SHO_ONE#IM

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not in love with the craptacular glass used on the GS3... Press it against your face to hard and its liable to break... That and the home button sucks....

No one would confuse the GS3 for an iphone, but boy did they take a bite out of Apple..... 's design a bit.

I personally would have preferred the Galaxy Nexus form-factor. No physical buttons made the phone look sexy, minimalistic and futuristic all at the same time! I still find myself pining for one! If the specs were better and it had TW (I refuse to say it, let alone spell it) I'd drop my GS3 now.... Carefully as it might break....!

Now, going from the Samsung Itstinks, to the Palm Pre, to the Evo I was done with Android since it lagged too much and the OS was sub par to say the least.

Decided to finally break down and get the iPhone 4s and loved it for 8 months or so... Saw the GS3, played around with it for a bit and fell in love with Android all over again, namely with Sammy's iteration of it!

What I dislike (hates to strong of a word this time around) holds no light to what I absolutely love & cherish about my GS3!

Great thread, love to spread gratitude when possible!

....Edit....
Oh.... And the damn power button on the side sucks...... Gratitude B-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Wish it was just 'one thing'. . . but the things are starting to compile up, day by day, getting nearer and nearer to deal-breaker level. . . .

1) No Adobe Flash Player support; won't download on GS3 ICS 4.0.4 (my GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 had 'Adobe Flash Player')

2) No office document application for Microsoft Office doc's; (GS2 Skyrocket & Note w/ICS 4.0.4 -- have 'QuickOffice' & 'Polaris' respectively)

3) No Application Manager Widget; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has App Mngr. Widget). . .so with the GS3, you have to pull down the 'Notifications' bar, but after doing so, there's still NO screen brightness adjustment ! :rolleyes:

4) No Power Saving Widget; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has PS Widget). . . so with the GS3, in order to adjust screen brightness---you have to tap settings > display > brightness > and then play w/ the adjuster :rolleyes:

5) No quick & easy notes app, just S Memo; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 had a nicer & easier note-taking app)

6) Poor display viewing when outside; (even though the GS3 has the 1280 x 720 (720p) Super AMOLED screen...it's not Samsung's best. The Skyrocket has Samsung's Super AMOLED PLUS display. Go figure that. Of course, here's the point where I'm hoping that I'm not sounding like a complete idiot....due to the SAP screen (possibly not?) being manuf. in that high of a resolution. lol :looks both ways:

7) Even though the GS3 has a 2,150mAh battery, it's a sucking hog; (to be fair, the Skyrocket wasn't much, if at all, better).

8) Wish the power button was on top, due to having an iPhone for the last three years. Likewise, I have no problem with the physical home button. In fact, it's one of the reasons I upgraded to the GS3---from the Skyrocket---along with the 2GB or RAM; upgraded Snapdragon S4; nicer camera w/ burst; larger battery; flagship level; and a better basic overall feel in the hand, (the Skyrocket is actually slightly wider).

9) After being so used to the iPhones 30-pin cable data connector, I'm really not liking these little microUSB thing-a-ma-jigs. :rolleyes: . . (I haven't even tried syncing any music yet, from my iTunes libraries, but I'm expecting nothing but hassles, since that's what we experienced last weekend with my wife's new Galaxy Note.) Okay, okay....that's not very positive, I admit. So, truth be told, I have downloaded iSyncr for PC (USB & Wi-Fi), and plan on using the iSyncr WiFi on my GS3. Any opinions on Rocket Player?

10) Also wish the onboard internal SD was at least 32GB.

11) And I guess I'm somewhat on the fence over all this Android stuff to learn. After all, they're just phones er, I mean Trackers. :rolleyes: For the most part, we didn't even have any kind of a learning curve three yrs. ago with our iPhones.... but, with these Androids I'm almost starting to feel some sort of a Alice in Wonderland quasi mind blowing journey up the Mekong River sort of trip...and I haven't even been using the GS3 for a week yet! ...:-\

On the bright side . . . I wouldn't have found this super cool forum filled with all you good people. . .if we wouldn't have jumped the Apple ship. So that's a positive for sure. ;)

9B) . . . I knew it. No album art came into the GS3, from my iTunes files, far as I can tell. :(

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Hello Cory,

Just an Android newbie here with a brand new GS3 and a silly question. How would one go about checking-out whether or not they might like to 'give JB a whirl', and Cyanogen Mod? What's the best way to do that. And do I first need to 'root' my phone? :confused: I have to admit something . . . I'm not even sure what 'root' means! lol

Btw, from Seattle too. Born & raised. ;) . . . just temp in Michigan for a few years. Miss it more than I can say.

Hello from Seattle :)

Rooting: Get 'Root' on your Android device | Android Central

Check out Cyber's write-up on how to root: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ck-bootloader-verizon-galaxy-s3-sch-i535.html

Once you've rooted/unlocked the bootloader check out creccaj1's guide on flashing ROM's: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...02897-guide-vzw-galaxy-s3-flashing-guide.html

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
That's a long one, but I'll try to help where I can. Most of your "complaints" can be easily remedied.

I think first, you mentioned you've had it less than a week, and coming from an iPhone. I highly suggest reading through this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/137252-apple-users-guide-android.html

1) No Adobe Flash Player support; won't download on GS3 ICS 4.0.4 (my GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 had 'Adobe Flash Player')
Flash was taken off the Play store near the beginning of August since it's no longer supported. But you can still download and install it. In fact, you can still get it directly from Adobe from here: Adobe Community: How do I manually install Flash Player on my Android device?.

Note though that it doesn't work with Chrome (again, Flash being phased out). I use Dolphin HD (a replacement browser) when I need to use Flash.

So yes, the GSIII supports Flash.

2) No office document application for Microsoft Office doc's; (GS2 Skyrocket & Note w/ICS 4.0.4 -- have 'QuickOffice' & 'Polaris' respectively)
Not sure I understand this complaint. Of course you can work with Office documents. Quickoffice is of course available: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...EsImNvbS5xby5hbmRyb2lkLmFtMyJd&token=FgLKiwD6

I personally just use Google Drive, which opens up my office docs fine.

3) No Application Manager Widget; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has App Mngr. Widget). . .so with the GS3, you have to pull down the 'Notifications' bar, but after doing so, there's still NO screen brightness adjustment ! :rolleyes:
4) No Power Saving Widget; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has PS Widget). . . so with the GS3, in order to adjust screen brightness---you have to tap settings > display > brightness > and then play w/ the adjuster :rolleyes:
An update rolled out awhile ago that adds the brightness slider to the notification bar (although I think this might only be for some carriers). There's plenty of widgets that handle this as well (same for app Manager)

I am not sure what you mean by a Power Saving Widget since that could mean many things. Is that different than the Power Saving thing in the notification bar? Maybe if you tell us what you're looking for, we can help.

5) No quick & easy notes app, just S Memo; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 had a nicer & easier note-taking app)
There are so many note taking apps I don't even think this qualifies. I use Evernote. It only take a few seconds to download a replacement one, so try a few. Like I said, I use Evernote, but there's also Catch which I used for awhile and about a thousand more.

6) Poor display viewing when outside;
I just pump up the brightness, but agreed...it could be better.

7) Even though the GS3 has a 2,150mAh battery, it's a sucking hog; (to be fair, the Skyrocket wasn't much, if at all, better).
I know this varies depending on how you use your phone, but I get easily a full day out of mine. Been off the charger for 1Day, 1hour and I'm still at 36%. Plenty. If you're not getting good battery life, there are plenty of ways to diagnose the issue.

8) Wish the power button was on top, due to having an iPhone for the last three years. Likewise, I have no problem with the physical home button. In fact, it's one of the reasons I upgraded to the GS3---from the Skyrocket---along with the 2GB or RAM; upgraded Snapdragon S4; nicer camera w/ burst; larger battery; flagship level; and a better basic overall feel in the hand, (the Skyrocket is actually slightly wider).
I agree here...wish the power button was on the top. But I really don't have an issue with it other than I occasionally hit the volume button on the opposite side when turning on/waking up the phone. I've adjusted to pressing the home button to wake the screen up.

9) After being so used to the iPhones 30-pin cable data connector, I'm really not liking these little microUSB thing-a-ma-jigs. :rolleyes: . . (I haven't even tried syncing any music yet, from my iTunes libraries, but I'm expecting nothing but hassles, since that's what we experienced last weekend with my wife's new Galaxy Note.) Okay, okay....that's not very positive, I admit. So, truth be told, I have downloaded iSyncr for PC (USB & Wi-Fi), and plan on using the iSyncr WiFi on my GS3. Any opinions on Rocket Player?
I honestly don't understand how people have so many issues syncing with iTunes. There are plenty of options (I use Double Twist). of course, you have to realize, iTunes is an Apple Product....and like any Apple product, it plays nice with other Apple Products and nothing else, so if you want to continue using iTunes you have to realize that and accept it'll be more difficult to use it with non-apple products..

10) Also wish the onboard internal SD was at least 32GB.
Go buy a 32GB version. You've only had it a week so maybe you can exchange it. Don't complain about it not having 32GB when you didn't buy the 32GB version :)

I bought the 32GB and threw a 64GB card in it. So much space....which I will never use because I have everything in the cloud. But at least I can say I have 96GB of storage on my phone.

11) And I guess I'm somewhat on the fence over all this Android stuff to learn. After all, they're just phones er, I mean Trackers. :rolleyes: For the most part, we didn't even have any kind of a learning curve three yrs. ago with our iPhones.... but, with these Androids I'm almost starting to feel some sort of a Alice in Wonderland quasi mind blowing journey up the Mekong River sort of trip...and I haven't even been using the GS3 for a week yet! ...:-\

I think the "haven't been using it for a week yet" part of that is the most important part of that sentence. Again, you should refer to the link at the top of my reply.

9B) . . . I knew it. No album art came into the GS3, from my iTunes files, far as I can tell. :(
I didn't have any issue with Double Twist bringing over the artwork. Not sure how you synced it up, but I think iSyncr will work as well. Again, without knowing how you brought in your music, it's hard for us to troubleshoot.

Hope that helps a bit.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Cory ;) Really appreciate those links. Concerning your lines 2 & 3.....are there similar links for "Cyber's write-up on how to root" & "creccaj1's guide on flashing ROM's" --- for AT&T?

Wow! Thanks so much EvilMonkey! ;) Also really appreciate your item by item responses. That's great and really helpful. I was a long time 'senior member' of a popular forum over in the UK, from 2004 -to- 2011, so I'm aware of the bit of time involved with quote-replying to such detail, item or issue by issue. Really, really appreciate your kindness & thoughtfulness.

Btw, I'll have to read through your helpful replies again, later when I have a bit more time, but just wanted to say that I'm aware that many of my software gripes can be remedied by downloading applicable apps from Google Play. What disappointed me about the GS3, after owning the Skyrocket [w/ ICS 4.0.4] for 10 days, is that I expected the GS3 to have the same quality and levels of ICS software. Not a drastically diminished level of helpful software, to the point, for example, of having to pay for an office doc. app (I think that QuickOffice is approx. $14.99 ? --- and I think that Polaris is possibly $19.99 ?). As well, I realize that the lack of a quick & handy screen brightness adjustment and power saving widget (an all-in-one widget that comes stock, on the Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4, in the widget drawer, where there's also an 'Application Manager' widget--that can sit on your home-screen and shows, numerically, if and how many apps that are running in the background, etc.), which is basically the same thing as the top of the notification bar--power saving thing--but it includes the screen brightness control, and of course it can be moved to any home screen.
So yes, I was planning on looking into DL'ing a few of the apps & widgets---that seem to be inexplicably missing from the GS3, in comparison to the Skyrocket---but there again, it looks like you're taking your chances DL'ing any 3rd party app from Google Play, as from what I've seen it's hard to even find an app that many users aren't recently complaining about FC'ing or corrupting in some way or slowing down their handsets. :confused:

With regards to battery life. . . it seems to be getting better; I just got 2 days (mon.&tues,) after a sunday nite charge, and pretty light use the last two days. This morning, after 5+ hours, I'm still at 96% with hardly any use except for a few calls, some emailing and the WiFi being on the whole time. Moreover, I keep locations off, syncing off, and all email syncing off (set to never), so it only sync's when I manually have it do so.

Anyhoo, didn't mean to go off with another long one. :-[ Gotta scoot and get back to work. Once again, I really appreciate your replies and all your great suggestions, advice and mostly your encouragement. It's a new day, and today I'm kinda thinking, well, this entirely mysterious (to me) but yet definitely fascinating and intriguing, new Android universe might be an interesting ride, and experience to stay with. ;)

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of dust and smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "HOLY SH*T....WHAT A RIDE!"

Last edited:

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I know the phone is a great thing, but are there some things that bother you about it? It could be big or small things, and no comparing to any other phones lol

For me:
- The ability to not turn off LTE with a toggle, I know I can do it by dailing *#2263#, but I think there should be a toggle
- The home button instead of the touch screen buttons like the Nexus has....I though that was kind of cool for touchscreen buttons, and you could customize it for certain apps

Not really deal breakers at all, I LOVE it overall, but just some things.

was really considering this phone but you're saying i can't turn off data connection with a toggle? i use widgetsoid on my nexus, it wouldn't work on the s3?

urrl

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If I can't get a resolution to my problem I'm exchanging it for an iPhone 5 before the two week return policy with ATT is up. I downloaded the movie Prometheus and it ran smoothly at first for a while, now it stutters very badly when the movie action increases. I am in the process of resetting the phone. I'm in the U.S. Isn't this supposed to be quad core or something? Why must I be hunting ways to cut corners to make this thing work? Very depressing. I really liked all of the benefits of this OS but if I can't come up with a solution it's back to the restrictive Dark Side and jailbreaking, if that's possible anymore. Movies never glitched with my iP4.

urrl

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay it's working fine now after the restore. Hope it does not happen again. I'd really like to keep this thing.

Keedo

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
This is probably a stupid question but if i am browsing 4g am i automatically using LTE?

But one thing i hate is the constant swype keyboard. It messes me up way too much. Is there a way to switch keyboard s?

3neekimmy

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
"I don't like that if I select a wallpaper from the gallery it has to be cropped to single home screen size. Since I use a launcher with scrollable wallpaper it creates black bars on each side when swiping to different home screens."

I didnt see anyone answer probably got lost in here somewhere but I use this app from the playstore its called wallpaper wizardrii no need to crop and it has a no scroll option...here's the link:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...izardrii&feature=search_result&token=GORSkzT5..

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
But one thing i hate is the constant swype keyboard. It messes me up way too much. Is there a way to switch keyboard s?

Yep. Just install a new one (I recommend either Swype or Swiftkey). Note that Swype is not the same thing that comes with the GS3 by default (it's much better). Either way, the next time you go to type something, it will ask you which keyboard you want to use (or you can switch them by going to Menu->Settings->Languages and Input).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki