Galaxy S3, from an ex-iPhone 4 user

Maccorf

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Okay, long story short, I have some comments and some issues. First off, I'll summarize my story: I had an iPhone 4 for more than 2 years, and I loved it. It came time to get the new iPhone, and due to supply issues, I wasn't going to get one anywhere near launch, despite preordering it. I had seen the Galaxy S3 in action, and was enticed by it, but had been really turned off by how aggressive the Android fan base was against the iPhone 5 launch. They were, to me, without a doubt more vocal, judgemental, and self-righteous than any Apple fans I had seen for years. Nonetheless, Best Buy put the S3 on sale, so I figured I'd try it out. That was 3 weeks ago. Today, I really love and am going to keep my S3, but it is not without its flaws...not by a longshot. I have a laundry list of pros-cons between the iOS and Android, but I won't get into that here. I will only say that as someone who has made a successful switch, Android is not, to me, the superior OS; it has great merits but may not be right for many people, and the Android community should be better about understanding that. I know it is likely a small minority of very aggressive people, but the rest of you should try to reign them in a bit, because it's severely off-putting to see people so delusional about their own perspectives yet calling the other side "mindless" and "ignorant." You catch more flies with honey, badgering people into getting rid of their iPhones is ill-conceived.

Those are my comments, which lead me to my issues. I'm trying to see the extent to which other people are having these issues, and whether or not that means I may have received a faulty unit and should request a replacement. First issue was battery drain, which has since been resolved. I had to go through about 4-5 tweaks to the system to stop it from draining my battery from literally 100 to 15% in about 9 hours, and though I eventually figured them all out, this definitely goes into the "con" category for my Android experience thus far. A user with no real experience tweaking software settings would be completely lost and have a phone that gets maybe a full days worth of use out of it before being completely drained. My next issue, which has not been resolved, is overheating: I've been working with computer hardware for years, so am very aware of heat issues, but am also relatively new to the tablet and smartphone designs. With my iPhone 4, I only experienced real "warmth" on the device (as opposed to "heat") a few times, mostly when I was running Maps for long periods of time, or watching lenghty streaming videos. This never really alarmed me at all, and if it did once or twice, I would stop what I was doing and the phone would cool down. With the S3, however, using 4G LTE and GPS seems to cause to phone to get what I was describe as "very warm" near the bottom of the device, on the back. I can even feel it through the (albeit thin) case I have on the phone. I would be lying if I said it didn't concern me, as I've never felt a device get this warm besides a laptop battery. To say it is "OVERheating" is aggressive, but it's definitely on the very high end of "warm" and almost "hot." I'm wondering how many others have had this problem, and if it's something that only certain units have.

Second, I feel as though the phone is not as fast as I thought it would be. This may be due to heightened expectations (due almost exclusively to the rave reviews among Apple-haters, claiming the S3 was light-years beyond the iPhone 5 in every way, despite never having even used an iPhone 5 yet), but I feel like the phone is zippy at times, but shows signs of slowing down in certain apps and uses. The main issue for me is in Maps, as I have had extremely disappointing results with it thus far. It seems to take a solid couple of minutes for the phone to "get used" to Maps being open, and if I try to zoom in to an area at all within the first 30 seconds, the app runs unbearably slow, stuttering along while it loads street names. Eventually, it seems the system is able to cache the resources the app needs and it runs pretty well, but I will say that it is definitely not as quick to settle in as my iPhone 4 even was. This was strange to me, as Maps is proprietary to Google and I thought it would work flawlessly in Android, coupled with the hardware capabilities of the S3. It's been disappointing. I've also had serious framerate issues running Angry Birds Space, and recent attempts to watch 2 different online videos from 2 different sites has resulted in unacceptable levels of slowdown, loading, and framerates in not only Dolphin Browser, but also Chrome. Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

I also find my phone taking a good deal of time to actually connect to a 4G LTE data connection, especially when riding the DC Metro and going in-out of signal. On my iPhone 4, my phone would slow down drastically during these periods of rapid disconnection-reconnection, but the actual connections were relatively swift (e.g. once you enter a station, it connects). I've sat at stations for decent periods of time, unable to connect to the data network before the train left again, something that the iPhone 4 could frequently manage. Is that a result of the phone, software, or the 4G LTE network (being a different band and requiring a different antennae from the 3G network)?

Thanks for any comments or help with these issues, I appreciate the feedback.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I had seen the Galaxy S3 in action, and was enticed by it, but had been really turned off by how aggressive the Android fan base was against the iPhone 5 launch. They were, to me, without a doubt more vocal, judgemental, and self-righteous than any Apple fans I had seen for years.
Go to a place called imore.com and prepare to edit that part out of your post.

As for your issues, the speed varies from person to person. Some people here that have also used both an iPhone and the S3 will say the S3 is way faster but between it and the i% the differences are negligible at best. If you wanna stick with the S3, you made a great choice, if not then at least you tried it out.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Long story short, eh? Is your long version a novel? Anywho.......my very first suggestion before getting into any solutions for your "problems" is to realize that the GS3 is not an iPhone. You probably think i'm an idiot for saying that, but it appears that with every issue you state, you follow it up with......"on my iPhone 4,.............". So right off the bat, expect it to be different. You switched platforms here. Things will be different. Also, relax in your accusations about how Android fans responded to the iPhone 5 launch. When your phones are always almost getting banned by Apple every time they are about to get released, you start to get pretty pissed off and vocal when Apple releases it's new iPhone 4s 2012.
Now my response to your issues is from my own experience, and not necessarily the scientific, technological end all explanation. Just ideas to consider and a place to start from.
Heat Issue: The Android operating system actually multi tasks. It uses it's processor to operate widgets, live wallpapers, downloads, and any other commands you are putting it through. On the iOS, it's designed to ALWAYS end everything else to process whatever you are telling it to do at that very instant. It makes for a nice, "smooth" experience but it is not true multitasking. Therefore, there are times that Android will run warmer. Especially if you are putting the processor under a heavy load for an extended period of time. My S3 only runs hot when I am doing things while apps are downloading/updating. Other than that mine does not get warm at all.
Speed: You mention the maps and how it runs slow. First, you could always go back to the iPhone and use Apple Maps at which point speed is the least of your problems. That being said, if you are having issues with Maps, your phone has to be a bum unit. Cause my S3 handles maps so fluidly and it's a pleasure to use.
Data Issues: MY best guess is that the Network is just super weak in that particular fringe area. I am in somewhat of a fringe area, and my S3 seems to handle it okay. But maybe the maps issue is also linked to what's causing your other issues. GPS could be having problems too which might explain the excess heat you've experienced.

I hope you can get it taken care of so you can enjoy this thing. I have used the 3GS, the 4, the 4s, and a tiny bit the 5. I can honestly say the S3 is leaps and bounds ahead of every single one of them except the 5 (and not just because of the age difference. OBVIOUSLY a phone in 2012 should smoke a phone from 08-10). It is still a better device than the iPhone 5 though. I worry a little bit for your Android future still, based on your little cheap shots that you sneak into your posts. I can tell you right now, that NO ONE likes to help someone who seems to have an underlying agenda in their posts. Embrace whatever OS you choose to use, and if you can't get over that 3.5" screen, it's probably in your best interest to return to the Apple clubhouse. Don't accuse Android users of doing things that Apple users do just as often, while saying that Android users need to be reigned in. That is bad taste.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Android users vs iphone users is a two way street. I use to mod at iphoneforums and the hate was seen just as much as you see it here. As for the hearing issue I would take it back. I was given a bum unit that wouldn't stop overheating. As for the DC metro I haven't had any issues. My service is actually better in dc/md than it is in my home coverage (bay area sf ca). It may be the station you're at. I'm actually excited to be moving back to dc bc of the coverage. Well it's more than that but that's a big plus for me

"may the odds be in your favor"

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
The screen frame rate thing could be due to you having the screen frame rate limited in power saving settings ticked. Try unticking that, and see if that helps.

Sent from my HTC One X

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm..sounds to me you might have a bad data antenna....you mention slow loading of maps and slow to get a connection at stations, which makes it sound to me like you have some cellular connection issue.

Do you experience those issues on a stable wifi network?

Or did you possibly switch carriers to one that might just have bad data coverage compared to the old one?

Sycobob

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Heat sounds normal. My E4GT got nice and toasty playing games and my GS3 does the same. From what you describe I think you're safe. Maps issue sounds like a slow data connection. It's probably struggling to get the information fast enough and hangs while it tries to fill it all in. Maps for me is extremely responsive. I can open the app and have my location within 3 seconds. I can fling the map to a new area or zoom and street names are filled in within a second. If it helps, this is on 4G with about 10 mbps down and 2 mbps up. Regarding connecting to LTE, you don't quantify slow, so it's hard to say much. I just turned Wifi off and timed it. 6 seconds to connect to LTE in a 2 bar area.

The second two issues sound like either your carrier sucks, or you have a defective unit. If you don't think it's the network, I'd take the phone in for another. The slowdowns you mentioned with games and videos makes me lean towards a defective unit. There's no reason you should have anything but perfectly smooth video playback.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
What does it say about our community when the top 3 threads on the GS3 boards all have Apple or iPhone in the title?

uk0cj.png

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
well the s3 is "the iphone killer" eh :p
our forum has an unusualy high number of converts for that reason.
must admit ive learnt more about ios here than anywhere else lol :)
still dont want it!

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Artisanthe

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi Maccorf. Welcome to the Android world. There is indeed a difference between the two platforms.....and in time you'll come to enjoy the Freedom that is Android I think. First and Foremost, Please keep an open mind for another couple of weeks. Your S3 is just about to be updated to Jellybean. The newer OS will make ALL the difference for your phone.....and I would like for you to come back and let us know how your issues are after the Update. I've been with Android for almost three years now.....and we've had "growing pains"....as the platform has had absolutely Wild Growth.....and deadly fragmentation as a result. The Hardware of the S3 and the HTC One X have set a new standard. Jelly bean, however, makes all the difference with Google moving to Unify the platform and Team Butter especially concentrating on the Experience. I personally am awaiting the coming Nexus Devices for my next phone....and am pondering the Galaxy Note meanwhile. Jellybean is the Key though. This should "smooth" your phone out....and quite possibly alleviate your "overheating" concerns. I have a Rooted Droid Incredible....and I have experimented with different Mods.I have used Jellybean on a Nexus Phone and a Nexus 7 Tablet. I will NOT have an Android device without it personally....going forward. Samsung is moving quickly to Update the S3. So.....keep coming to the Forums....and hang in for another couple of weeks....and then let us know how you feel. Thank you for your comments so far....D

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Those are my comments, which lead me to my issues. I'm trying to see the extent to which other people are having these issues, and whether or not that means I may have received a faulty unit and should request a replacement. First issue was battery drain, which has since been resolved. I had to go through about 4-5 tweaks to the system to stop it from draining my battery from literally 100 to 15% in about 9 hours, and though I eventually figured them all out, this definitely goes into the "con" category for my Android experience thus far. A user with no real experience tweaking software settings would be completely lost and have a phone that gets maybe a full days worth of use out of it before being completely drained. My next issue, which has not been resolved, is overheating: I've been working with computer hardware for years, so am very aware of heat issues, but am also relatively new to the tablet and smartphone designs. With my iPhone 4, I only experienced real "warmth" on the device (as opposed to "heat") a few times, mostly when I was running Maps for long periods of time, or watching lenghty streaming videos. This never really alarmed me at all, and if it did once or twice, I would stop what I was doing and the phone would cool down. With the S3, however, using 4G LTE and GPS seems to cause to phone to get what I was describe as "very warm" near the bottom of the device, on the back. I can even feel it through the (albeit thin) case I have on the phone. I would be lying if I said it didn't concern me, as I've never felt a device get this warm besides a laptop battery. To say it is "OVERheating" is aggressive, but it's definitely on the very high end of "warm" and almost "hot." I'm wondering how many others have had this problem, and if it's something that only certain units have.

Second, I feel as though the phone is not as fast as I thought it would be. This may be due to heightened expectations (due almost exclusively to the rave reviews among Apple-haters, claiming the S3 was light-years beyond the iPhone 5 in every way, despite never having even used an iPhone 5 yet), but I feel like the phone is zippy at times, but shows signs of slowing down in certain apps and uses. The main issue for me is in Maps, as I have had extremely disappointing results with it thus far. It seems to take a solid couple of minutes for the phone to "get used" to Maps being open, and if I try to zoom in to an area at all within the first 30 seconds, the app runs unbearably slow, stuttering along while it loads street names. Eventually, it seems the system is able to cache the resources the app needs and it runs pretty well, but I will say that it is definitely not as quick to settle in as my iPhone 4 even was. This was strange to me, as Maps is proprietary to Google and I thought it would work flawlessly in Android, coupled with the hardware capabilities of the S3. It's been disappointing. I've also had serious framerate issues running Angry Birds Space, and recent attempts to watch 2 different online videos from 2 different sites has resulted in unacceptable levels of slowdown, loading, and framerates in not only Dolphin Browser, but also Chrome. Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

I also find my phone taking a good deal of time to actually connect to a 4G LTE data connection, especially when riding the DC Metro and going in-out of signal. On my iPhone 4, my phone would slow down drastically during these periods of rapid disconnection-reconnection, but the actual connections were relatively swift (e.g. once you enter a station, it connects). I've sat at stations for decent periods of time, unable to connect to the data network before the train left again, something that the iPhone 4 could frequently manage. Is that a result of the phone, software, or the 4G LTE network (being a different band and requiring a different antennae from the 3G network)?

Your phones defective buddy, just by the heat you are experiencing should be a hint. When the phone gets hot, your battery life should plummet. Just by how you are describing your performance of your phone and the battery drain, and the heat all points to a faulty phone. Stock out the box should have no battery issue, the phone should not lag esp if it takes minutes for maps to load up, and lag while watching web video, or playing angry birds. Those task are nothing for this phone.

cnlson

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy put the S3 on sale, so I figured I'd try it out. That was 3 weeks ago. Today, I really love and am going to keep my S3.
Welcome! Glad you like your phone no matter what brand.
the Android community should be better about understanding that. I know it is likely a small minority of very aggressive people, but the rest of you should try to reign them in a bit, because it's severely off-putting to see people so delusional about their own perspectives yet calling the other side "mindless" and "ignorant." You catch more flies with honey, badgering people into getting rid of their iPhones is ill-conceived..
It goes without saying there are partisans on both sides and those will likely be the first people you run into.

First issue was battery drain, which has since been resolved. I had to go through about 4-5 tweaks to the system to stop it from draining my battery from literally 100 to 15% in about 9 hours, and though I eventually figured them all out..
When you have a moment please contribute your new found knowledge in the forum so that others can have a reference from an iphone user on what to do. That will help them more quickly get to enjoy their phones as well.

My next issue, which has not been resolved, is overheating: With the S3, using 4G LTE and GPS seems to cause to phone to get what I was describe as "very warm" near the bottom of the device, on the back. I can even feel it through the (albeit thin) case I have on the phone. I would be lying if I said it didn't concern me, as I've never felt a device get this warm besides a laptop battery. To say it is "OVERheating" is aggressive, but it's definitely on the very high end of "warm" and almost "hot." I'm wondering how many others have had this problem, and if it's something that only certain units have..
The bottom of the phone is where the GPS antenna resides and it can get very warm, This is not a "defect" just a fact of a piece of hardware that does not have a heat sink to dissapate heat. The other noticeable issue you attribute to 4g but it is most likely the screen and most likely in bright surroundings on auto brightness. That big beautiful screen will tax the battery, which again has no heat sink. Again this is normal.

Second, I feel as though the phone is not as fast as I thought it would be. This may be due to heightened expectations (due almost exclusively to the rave reviews among Apple-haters, claiming the S3 was light-years beyond the iPhone 5 in every way, despite never having even used an iPhone 5 yet), but I feel like the phone is zippy at times, but shows signs of slowing down in certain apps and uses.

The main issue for me is in Maps, as I have had extremely disappointing results with it thus far. It seems to take a solid couple of minutes for the phone to "get used" to Maps being open, and if I try to zoom in to an area at all within the first 30 seconds, the app runs unbearably slow, stuttering along while it loads street names.

I've also had serious framerate issues running Angry Birds Space, and recent attempts to watch 2 different online videos from 2 different sites has resulted in unacceptable levels of slowdown, loading, and framerates in not only Dolphin Browser, but also Chrome. Is anyone else experiencing these issues?..
Maps - if you are running satellite view there may be a few seconds to a minute where the app is downloading map data, so first i would suggest running in map view, second, you may want to look in the settings for pre-cache. this will help speed things up if it is using cached data.
online videos - the amount that will cache before attempting to play is dependent on your connection. they may start playing and you connection may not keep up unfortunately. if you pause and let the video cache a bit more you will likely play better. one way to test this is to put some video (either take a video with the phone in 1080 mode or download something to the phone and play from the phone. if those work it is likely cache or connection
Angry birds - i cannot answer as i have not played that game.

I would guess you are in a marginal signal area. If you google there are signal maps and there are probably signal maps. you can check in settings about phone status for the signal level.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
arent all the antenna at the bottom of modern phones because of the risk of brain cancer?
on my s3 its the middle of the phone that heats up when i push it hard

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

hanumanbob

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Because of my job, I have GS3, iPhone 5 and a Lumia 900. All have strengths and weaknesses. If you don't have the actual devices side by side to use and compare, how on earth can you comment about them? We should use valid commentary to force companies to make changes and improve their products. Sometimes a competitor comes up with something brilliant and that should be acknowledged and an effort should be made to improve the products not bash the competition or make excuses.

Maccorf

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the comments and suggestions all, it's great to hear a helpful community. I know my post was long, I was trying to be sarcastic but it doesn't come through too well in text. I will say, however, to the comments about my "accusations" towards the vocal Android users I see on forums, that I understand it goes both ways, and iMore.com sure has an aggressive community, but I'm talking about the comments I see on mostly journalistic sites that attempt (key word) to be unbiased. iMore is clearly an iPhone site, so it's expected, but on many tech news sites, I can only tell you what I saw, and what I saw was very demeaning, aggressive, and ignorant Android fans coming out in droves. And blaming that on lawsuits is ill-conceived I think, courts ruled and it's well within Apple's rights to file the suits, just as it is Samsung's. But enough about that...

So it seems from the comments that I might have a slightly off-kilter unit. My unit gets warm pretty frequently, moreso than what many of you are describing. As for the lagginess, I don't have any power-saving features enabled, and yes, Google maps seems to be working okay when GPS is not enabled, so it may be an antennae issue. I've been eagerly awaiting Jelly Bean so I can see if that improves my performance, but I think I'm going to go in sooner than later and see if the unit is performing below standards.

I will say that when this think works well, I love it and am very happy with the switch. I sort of missed my iPhone for the first 2 weeks, but now, I feel like this is my phone, and as Android improves with each release, that might be the case going forward. We'll see.

Thanks everyone for your help, and any further comments are more thane welcome. I'll update after I bring the phone in for a check.

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Okay, long story short, I have some comments and some issues. First off, I'll summarize my story: I had an iPhone 4 for more than 2 years

First issue was battery drain, which has since been resolved.

My next issue, which has not been resolved, is overheating

The main issue for me is in Maps

I also find my phone taking a good deal of time to actually connect to a 4G LTE data connection, especially when riding the DC Metro

I too went from an iPhone 4 to a GS3. Couple of things. You say had a 4 not a 4S, the 4 had great battery life even compared to the 4S, having said that Apple, just like Samsung, released updates which fixed most if not all battery complaints. If you haven't updated to the LH9 release you need to check for an update and do so as that alone dramatically increases battery life on the GS3. Nothing surprising or unusual about this, some builds of the OS are better than others, this is not unique to Android. However your also trading your iP4 for a device with a screen as large as the entire phone you used to have it only stands to reason that battery drain will occur faster.

Overheating: I can tell you that on more than one occasion my iPhone 4 shutdown due to excess heat and I know I'm not the only one. Especially when using the iPhone for navigation it would get quite hot. This is normal and like a poster said, no heatsink = heat. I solved my problem by moving the phone to be in front of a vent in my car so it would get cooled down. Again not unique to Android.

Google Maps are still not cached locally for the most part, you can cache some of them but ultimately it must talk to the server first. If the delay is unacceptable use a 3rd party program for offline cached maps, I use Navigon on both my GS3 and iPhone4.

Complaining about LOS in a subway is a bit facetious to say the least. Your underground it stands to reason that you'll have poor signal. Having said that I will acknowledge that the GS3 does seem to have a bit weaker antenna and it slower to pick up signal on both cell and WiFi.

If you really want to have some fun with your phone root it and put a custom ROM on it. I'm running CM10 M2 build and I'll likely never go back to a TouchWiz based ROM again. I find that the CM10 ROM actually behaves more like an iPhone in many respects than the TW ROM does, more things 'just work' like you expect them to, an example: on CM10 when you insert headphones and press play you get music. On the stock TW ROM I had to run a 3rd party program to gain that back. So something to consider is maybe rooting and ROM'ing.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
One small detail that may or may not help the speed/smoothness of the device - under Settings =>Developer Options, change your Window animation, Transition animation and Animator duration scales to 0.5x. I've done this for a few friends new to Android and it can help a little bit.

Once you get JB, you will notice another slight improvement in speed and smoothness as well. And it sounds as though you may have a faulty device, its definitely worth asking if you can get a replacement. Good luck!