Galaxy S3, from an ex-iPhone 4 user

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used NFC at all. I talked my fianc? into upgrading her phone and she picked up a iPhone 5. Thing is sexy to see in person. HD videos play perfectly fine on IT and look great, so the person that keeps trying to spread the fud that it's messed up needs to stop. While looking in the app store and clicking on apps and pressing the back button I was shocked when I didn't get sent back to the top of the list. Phone is buttery smooth and fast. The battery is killing my SG3 and while watch videos the picture looks better on the i5, but not that big of a deal to me since I rather watch videos on my TV. I'm pissed that I see the MyNBA2K available for iPhone and still not for android...WTF. Going over their app store I'm seeing all kinds of nice looking apps. Not a bad os at all and not a bad phone...gonna play with her phone for a few days and may make a switch. Most of the features on my SG3 feel gimmicky and barely used.

you are the type of guy i always advise to get an iphone lol ;)
i dont mean this as an attack but why did you decide to get an android phone?
and expect its app store app to work in the same way?? :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
you are the type of guy i always advise to get an iphone lol ;)
i dont mean this as an attack but why did you decide to get an android phone?
and expect its app store app to work in the same way?? :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

why I decided to get android? Because windows mobile was on it's way down. My first android phone was a HTC Hero so don't get it twisted like the SG3 was my first android phone.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used NFC at all. I talked my fianc? into upgrading her phone and she picked up a iPhone 5. Thing is sexy to see in person. HD videos play perfectly fine on IT and look great, so the person that keeps trying to spread the fud that it's messed up needs to stop. While looking in the app store and clicking on apps and pressing the back button I was shocked when I didn't get sent back to the top of the list. Phone is buttery smooth and fast. The battery is killing my SG3 and while watch videos the picture looks better on the i5, but not that big of a deal to me since I rather watch videos on my TV. I'm pissed that I see the MyNBA2K available for iPhone and still not for android...WTF. Going over their app store I'm seeing all kinds of nice looking apps. Not a bad os at all and not a bad phone...gonna play with her phone for a few days and may make a switch. Most of the features on my SG3 feel gimmicky and barely used.

This made me laugh cause when NFC comes out on the iPhone 5s, people like this will be talking about how innovative and revolutionary it is. A 4" screen was way too big when Android did it, and now that Apple did it, it is "sexy to see in person". All Android features are gimmicky until Apple does it. Then it's mind blowing and a game changer.

The cool thing about phones, is you can always use what you prefer. There's always a way that you can make a switch. No one is holding anyone back, or pushing you into anything. If you prefer the i5, get it! I personally bought my S3 off a guy who had gotten the iPhone 5, and when I asked to see his iPhone 5 I wanted to leave ASAP before he realized that he sold me the MUCH MUCH better of the two phones.

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
This made me laugh cause when NFC comes out on the iPhone 5s, people like this will be talking about how innovative and revolutionary it is. A 4" screen was way too big when Android did it, and now that Apple did it, it is "sexy to see in person". All Android features are gimmicky until Apple does it. Then it's mind blowing and a game changer.

The cool thing about phones, is you can always use what you prefer. There's always a way that you can make a switch. No one is holding anyone back, or pushing you into anything. If you prefer the i5, get it! I personally bought my S3 off a guy who had gotten the iPhone 5, and when I asked to see his iPhone 5 I wanted to leave ASAP before he realized that he sold me the MUCH MUCH better of the two phones.

are you like 10 years old? Damn own freaking android devices for years and member on most android sites...the moment you say like the iphone ppl on here want to turn on you and stupid like the above post. It is true when ppl say android fanboys are a lot worst then apple fanboys now. Like I said before i'll be testing it out before I even make a decision. Like to play with it myself then listen to android fanboys make crap up like HD video don't look right.

Maccorf

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to ungibbed and EndlessDissent for thoughtful answers without resorting to snippy little comments about "doing research" and underlying biases. Your comments are in line with what I was looking for. LegalAmerican has been making it clear that he's one of the "them": the users who get an attitude when someone doesn't love everything about their Android phone, thinks everyone has a hidden pro-Apple agenda, and groups all iPhone users into a single entity that all shout the same thing at the same time. I'm glad there are other contributors here who have less of a chip on their shoulder.

As for an update on my phone (if anyone still cares), I called up Samsung yesterday who, after describing to them the issues and running me through a series of "restart your phone"-style "solutions" for people who have no idea how to use a device, assured me there was nothing wrong with the device. The reps answer was that it must be an app that is causing the problems, and I need to factory reset. After 2 weeks, and having downloaded nothing on this phone that I didn't have on my iPhone 4, which I had to factory restore only once, at over a year into owning it because of I was using a developer beta version of the iOS release. I didn't restore, and instead went to Best Buy to see if they would be willing to play around with it and see if there was something wrong with the hardware, and hopefully replace it if there was. They claimed it was due to the quality of AT&T's data network, which is apparently poor in my area. I think that's a load of garbage. Whatever the case may be, my phone is still inconsistent in it's speed; just before I was scrolling through my Gallery pics, ones I took with the camera, and it was very lagged, frequently thinking I double-tapped on a pic and zooming in. I tried playing this Jaws Revenge game, and it worked good for a little bit, then the framerate dropped severely and never restored itself. These were just examples on the way home from the store. My point is, if this IS how the phone is supposed to run, I'm a bit disappointed. I tried to ignore fanboy ravings about the phone and go in with reasonable expectations, but when I can't even scroll my pictures without feeling like I'm bogging down the CPU, it's a bit discouraging. I'll have to consider if I want to keep it, but what I would get in it's place, I don't know. I have learned to really enjoy the feel of the Android OS, and going back to iOS would even feel a little like backtracking at this point.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it seems you are a bit confused. I don't mean to be condescending, but you obviously missed the clear point of my post, as you started rambling off features of the GS3 compared to the iPhone 4, and insinuated that I have some inherent bias thats skewing my perspective. I clearly quoted another poster, who said they couldn't stand iOS because they had a list of things it "could not do" when compared to Android. I then asked him to list some, because I just came from an iPhone 4 and can't find many useful things that I can now do with Android that I couldn't do with iOS. I wasn't comparing the GS3 with the iPhone 4, or even the 5. I wasn't asking for a features comparison list. I was asking for things that Android can do that iOS cannot.

This is a great video with 50 things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A48A4J5qpYA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
are you like 10 years old? Damn own freaking android devices for years and member on most android sites...the moment you say like the iphone ppl on here want to turn on you and stupid like the above post. It is true when ppl say android fanboys are a lot worst then apple fanboys now. Like I said before i'll be testing it out before I even make a decision. Like to play with it myself then listen to android fanboys make crap up like HD video don't look right.

If i understood this jumbled mess of a run on paragraph, i would tell you to calm down first. Then I would tell you to do your research on the old iPhone screen ratio. Not everything about Apple is perfect. Set your pompous Apple Arrogance aside for a second and allow a conversation to take place without freaking out.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to ungibbed and EndlessDissent for thoughtful answers without resorting to snippy little comments about "doing research" and underlying biases. Your comments are in line with what I was looking for. LegalAmerican has been making it clear that he's one of the "them": the users who get an attitude when someone doesn't love everything about their Android phone, thinks everyone has a hidden pro-Apple agenda, and groups all iPhone users into a single entity that all shout the same thing at the same time. I'm glad there are other contributors here who have less of a chip on their shoulder.

I wasn't the only one on here annoyed by your post. There's 3 people in this thread who are incapable of setting aside their emotions to hear anyone else out. You come on an Android forum wanting to have an" apple is better than Android, but I'll give the lowly S3 somewhat of a shot" conversation, and then get upset when people point out the fallacy of your claims.

If you want legit help with Android, forget about the stupid iPhone 4 and give your new phone an actual trial run. Otherwise, go back to the 4 and live happily ever after. Just because someone disagrees with you saying the iPhone 4 is better than the S3, doesn't mean that person is automatically "one of them". Sure, I like Android and dislike Apple. Is this not ANDROID Central? If I was saying these things on iMore, you'd have a point.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

why use an android forum and read this type of thread if you prefer to make your own choice than to read about others' experience mate? ;)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

As for an update on my phone (if anyone still cares), I called up Samsung yesterday who, after describing to them the issues and running me through a series of "restart your phone"-style "solutions" for people who have no idea how to use a device, assured me there was nothing wrong with the device. The reps answer was that it must be an app that is causing the problems, and I need to factory reset. After 2 weeks, and having downloaded nothing on this phone that I didn't have on my iPhone 4, which I had to factory restore only once, at over a year into owning it because of I was using a developer beta version of the iOS release. I didn't restore, and instead went to Best Buy to see if they would be willing to play around with it and see if there was something wrong with the hardware, and hopefully replace it if there was. They claimed it was due to the quality of AT&T's data network, which is apparently poor in my area. I think that's a load of garbage. Whatever the case may be, my phone is still inconsistent in it's speed; just before I was scrolling through my Gallery pics, ones I took with the camera, and it was very lagged, frequently thinking I double-tapped on a pic and zooming in. I tried playing this Jaws Revenge game, and it worked good for a little bit, then the framerate dropped severely and never restored itself. These were just examples on the way home from the store. My point is, if this IS how the phone is supposed to run, I'm a bit disappointed. I tried to ignore fanboy ravings about the phone and go in with reasonable expectations, but when I can't even scroll my pictures without feeling like I'm bogging down the CPU, it's a bit discouraging. I'll have to consider if I want to keep it, but what I would get in it's place, I don't know. I have learned to really enjoy the feel of the Android OS, and going back to iOS would even feel a little like backtracking at this point.

You have to get a replacement device. This phone does not behave this way. 2 year old phones don't behave this way. Go back and yell at someone or call At&T and explain how unhappy you are. They will replace it.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't the only one on here annoyed by your post. There's 3 people in this thread who are incapable of setting aside their emotions to hear anyone else out. You come on an Android forum wanting to have an" apple is better than Android, but I'll give the lowly S3 somewhat of a shot" conversation, and then get upset when people point out the fallacy of your claims.

If you want legit help with Android, forget about the stupid iPhone 4 and give your new phone an actual trial run. Otherwise, go back to the 4 and live happily ever after. Just because someone disagrees with you saying the iPhone 4 is better than the S3, doesn't mean that person is automatically "one of them". Sure, I like Android and dislike Apple. Is this not ANDROID Central? If I was saying these things on iMore, you'd have a point.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Maccorf I think LegalAmerican actually does want to help. He's passionate about technology so don't take it too far. I bet if you were sitting face to face it would be much easier. Forums, texts and email are always skewed to some degree. There is some android love here, so don't get too upset about it. :D

I appreciated your posts.

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
why use an android forum and read this type of thread if you prefer to make your own choice than to read about others' experience mate? ;)

wait wut? So I should not make my own choice if i like ios or android, but instead listen to others here that supposedly used it? I think i'll stick to making my own choice on everything no matter what it is.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
thats exactly what i suggested bro ;)

Maccorf

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Just for the record, I never said, or even insinuated, that the iPhone 4 is better than the S3. But moving on from pointless banter...

So this morning, I tried one final test: I downloaded a 3D game that I know the phone is capable of running, to see how my phone handled it. I downloaded Blood and Glory, and tried to play. It worked well for about 10 seconds, and then the framerate dropped and rendered the game completely unplayable, never recovering. At that point, I did a backup and factory restore, and the first thing I did was download, once again, Blood and Glory. I ran it to see how it would run on a factory reset phone. It was the same, completely unplayable. I absolutely must assume that this is not normal, so I'm going to go back to Best Buy today and kindly request a new device, and hopefully, that one won't be a lemon.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Just for the record, I never said, or even insinuated, that the iPhone 4 is better than the S3. But moving on from pointless banter...

So this morning, I tried one final test: I downloaded a 3D game that I know the phone is capable of running, to see how my phone handled it. I downloaded Blood and Glory, and tried to play. It worked well for about 10 seconds, and then the framerate dropped and rendered the game completely unplayable, never recovering. At that point, I did a backup and factory restore, and the first thing I did was download, once again, Blood and Glory. I ran it to see how it would run on a factory reset phone. It was the same, completely unplayable. I absolutely must assume that this is not normal, so I'm going to go back to Best Buy today and kindly request a new device, and hopefully, that one won't be a lemon.

That sounds like the best course of action. My S3 plays blood and glory fine. Also, wipe touchwiz and load a stock Jellybean ROM on your S3. It will FLY. The difference between ICS with touchwiz and untouched Jellybean is night and day.

There's a reason that nerds, the technology experts, have chosen Android as the phone of choice. It does more and it does it better.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

defo sounds like a lemon mate. the s3 (dual or quad core) should handle any game in the market with ease ;)