Picking up my new S3 tomorrow. There are so many threads available.. I would like to get other's thoughts in one central thread here..

What are the Must-have Apps for the S3?

What options/settings should be turned off/on to maximize efficiencies/battery life?

On a side note.. I have many games that I have paid for... and some Apps like Weather elite. Looking for Apps that specifically benefit the functionality, form, and software of the S3.
    10-17-2012 05:18 PM
    Nothing is necessarily a 'must-have' with this device. You'll probably like SwiftKey more than the stock keyboard and Chrome more than the stock browser, other than that everything else is just up to you.

Speed up your phone by going into your Settings > Developer options > and changing the windows/transition scale animations to 0.5x.

Save battery by using Power Saver Mode, shutting off haptic feedback, and keeping your vibration off. You could also install Greenpower Premium or JuiceDefender to get a extra little bit of juice.

Welcome to the club by the way, you made it good choice by going GS3

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!
    cyberchief, funkylogik and Keedo like this.
    10-17-2012 06:30 PM
    Thanks! Some excellent feedback. I use Swiftkey today on my tablet. I am coming from a Droid X... so pretty excited for the SG3. Was going to hold out a while for the Note2... but I just can't get passed the size.

Some of the advice above is exactly what i was looking for.. the haptic feedback, transition scale... stuff i never really thought of. Definately going to try out Chrome as well. I use Dolphin on my tablet.. but haven't been overly impressed.

Anyone else feel like chiming in? Love to hear some more ideas of what has worked for you or what you prefer.
    10-17-2012 08:16 PM
    Wow huge upgrade for you... I recommend getting a screen protector as the screen scratches easy. Best Imo is the spigen ultra nano as it will give you the best feel like not having a screen protector. As for the phone itself using power saver mode under clocks the cpu so you may notice a performance decrease. I generally keep it off because at the end of my day I'm always over 70% left.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    cyberchief likes this.
    10-17-2012 08:34 PM
    instead of having to hold in the home button to go between recent apps, try the "dock4droid" app, its so slick, fast and perfect when you get it set up right

speakin of home button, switch off the double tap shortcut for s-voice to save a lot of time when u press home to return to homescreen

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    cyberchief likes this.
    10-17-2012 09:12 PM
    Thank you! Can't wait to get my hands on the S3. I WOULD have had one today... But.. I stopped at the local VZ "authorized" dealer.. and although they didn't have the 32gb on hand.. they said they would order me in one and have it next day.. and if I would be willing to wait... they will throw in the Otterbox Defender for free. Hmm.. let's see... drive a half hour to pick up the S3 today... or wait a day.. and pick one up with a free case only 1/2 mile from the house.

12 hours from now.. will have the S3.
    funkylogik and badbrad17 like this.
    10-17-2012 10:06 PM
    bargain mate
    enjoy

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    cyberchief likes this.
    10-17-2012 10:13 PM
    Wow huge upgrade for you... I recommend getting a screen protector as the screen scratches easy. Best Imo is the spigen ultra nano as it will give you the best feel like not having a screen protector. As for the phone itself using power saver mode under clocks the cpu so you may notice a performance decrease. I generally keep it off because at the end of my day I'm always over 70% left.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Doesn't it have gorilla glass 2 on it? That doesn't scratch. My sgs2 has never had a screen protector and it's prestine.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    10-17-2012 10:43 PM
    Ha. Nice deal.

If you're the busy, forgetful type out just the type that likes convenience then Llama profiles is a must.

Changed my life by automating the basic things we sometimes forget about.

It can change your phone to vibrate when at work, or turn your WiFi on when you get home, turn brightness down even you arrive at the movies. It's awesome, simple, and free unlike tasker
    cyberchief, mssca and badbrad17 like this.
    10-17-2012 10:44 PM
    Picking up my new S3 tomorrow. There are so many threads available.. I would like to get other's thoughts in one central thread here..

What options/settings should be turned off/on to maximize efficiencies/battery life?

On a side note.. I have many games that I have paid for... and some Apps like Weather elite. Looking for Apps that specifically benefit the functionality, form, and software of the S3.
    Camera zoom is great as well as Poynt.

cyberchief likes this.
    10-17-2012 10:46 PM
    Also I'm not sure how much you want to apply custom launchers to your phone but Go and Nova launchers can be really fun combined with some widgets. Check out this guys youtube channel. Some great stuff on very detailed customization that you can do on any android phone.

cyberchief likes this.
    10-17-2012 10:54 PM
    Ha. Nice deal.

If you're the busy, forgetful type out just the type that likes convenience then Llama profiles is a must.

Changed my life by automating the basic things we sometimes forget about.

It can change your phone to vibrate when at work, or turn your WiFi on when you get home, turn brightness down even you arrive at the movies. It's awesome, simple, and free unlike tasker
    Nice post on Llama. I had never heard of that app. Just played with it. Very cool. Thanks.

Tkbredx likes this.
    10-17-2012 11:05 PM
    Doesn't it have gorilla glass 2 on it? That doesn't scratch. My sgs2 has never had a screen protector and it's prestine.

my glass is still perfect since uk release but theres a lot of posts about it scratching... mainly on the US versions for some reason..

badbrad17 likes this.
    10-18-2012 10:25 AM
    Another app I like for nfc instead of using the Samsung tectile is NFC Task Launcher. It gives you more options and you can still use the Samsung branded nfc stickers.

Sent from my Galaxy S III on U.S. Cellular
    10-18-2012 10:35 AM
    I found turning off the Auto brightness settings will save a lot of battery power. I also found that SwiftKey keyboard to be better than the stock along with Dolphin browser.
    10-18-2012 10:49 AM
    I also came from a Droid X, Welcome! ICS introduced the ability to disable apps without rooting. You will want to do that, what you disable is a personal preference, but here is a list of what I disabled:

Allshare Controller (Samsung)
    Allshare Play (Samsung)
    Amazon Kindle
    Verizon Apps
    Backup Assistant (Verizon)
    Backup Assistant Plus
    Color
    Google +
    Media Hub (Samsung)
    Music Hub (Samsung)
    My Verizon Mobile
    S Suggest (Samsung)
    S Voice (Samsung)
    Samsung Account
    Samsung Backup Provider
    Samsung Cloud Data Relay
    Samsung Cloud Syncadaptors
    Samsung Push Service
    Vcast tones
    VZ Navigator
    Yahoo Finance
    Yahoo News

***These are all safe to disable.

Here are my must haves:

Aquamail - a superior email program.
    Solid Explorer - Great file manager
    Chrome - Much better than the stock browser
    Foxfi - or use Widgetsoid for "T"
    Nova Launcher -
    PowerAmp - music player
    Swiftkey or Swype
    unlmtdRW, sfrrr and funkylogik like this.
    10-18-2012 10:53 AM
    Just came across this Lama Profile thing... Is there way in that app which can make the calendar based profile change?
    10-18-2012 11:08 AM

I have a friend whom I've told countless times to get a case and a screen protector

He has two big az scratches on his screen...... And he deserves it

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    funkylogik and badbrad17 like this.
    10-18-2012 04:41 PM
    Use lux brightness to take your brightness level higher than and lower than the stock brightness settings, making it easy to seen in broad daylight

funkylogik likes this.
    10-18-2012 04:42 PM
    instead of having to hold in the home button to go between recent apps, try the "dock4droid" app, its so slick, fast and perfect when you get it set up right

speakin of home button, switch off the double tap shortcut for s-voice to save a lot of time when u press home to return to homescreen

And when you feel adjusted to your phone and are ready to root, download button savior, gives you the ics dock and a power button, so u never have to turn the physical button to take off ur screen

10-18-2012 04:44 PM
    And when you feel adjusted to your phone and are ready to root, download button savior, gives you the ics dock and a power button, so u never have to turn the physical button to take off ur screen

hehe how did i know u were gona say that bro :beer:

ps thanx again for the dock4droid tip mate.. i honestly cant imagine phone-life without it now lol

10-18-2012 05:38 PM
    hehe how did i know u were gona say that bro :beer:

ps thanx again for the dock4droid tip mate.. i honestly cant imagine phone-life without it now lol

Lmao, im the sponsor for button savior on Android Central Forums now

That app destroys every app on the market hands down

funkylogik likes this.
    10-18-2012 05:45 PM
    Here are my must haves:

Aquamail - a superior email program.
    Solid Explorer - Great file manager
    Chrome - Much better than the stock browser
    Foxfi - or use Widgetsoid for "T"
    Nova Launcher -
    PowerAmp - music player
    Swiftkey or Swype
    You are my new app hero. Aqua mail is really great. I have been struggling to find a better email app and didn't like anything available so far. This one seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

10-18-2012 11:10 PM