Best SMS app?

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
What is the best sms app? I have tried go sms but it seems a bit bubbly for me. Handcent is awesome but a little flaky. It has a few bugs here and there.

Or the stock app which is nothing special but works.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I use GoSMS and it works flawlessly with many needed and extra features...how was it "bubbly" for you maybe I can help you out...they have different themes to if you do not like the color, even an iPhone SMS theme

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
im a Go Sms user and you can alter every single bit of it :)
ive never used themes but u could try them.. theres 100s.. but you can make it look however u want... its so good for me coz when im drunk my eyes are terrible so i have the conversation and popup font huge :)
to get rid of bubbles a quick n easy way is to make them same colour as the background.
Go Sms and Go Contacts are the only Go apps i havent got sick of yet over a few phones :)
theres also Chomp and Handcent but i havent tried them tbh

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Go sms, great themes and customizable parts

Pop up texts, setting your phone screen to turn on when you get a text, etc

I used to use physical buttons, and then I found button savior
-S. T. C

Sent from my rooted, debloated CM10 jelly bean 4.1.2 Samsung Galaxy S3 #LikeABo$$

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Handcent guy here. Chomp SMS seems nice though. They update often and even already have the iOS6 New emojis. I would switch but I have everything perfect in Handcent already

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I've been using handcent for a little while but it feels very laggy. I don't really like go for some reason. So it's basically handcent or stock.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
One reason I love handcent is that it has the option to only show mobile numbers when you enter a contact. And the individual notifications.

But stock feels a little smoother. Features vs smooth/stable.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I haven't found anything easier or more powerful than Go SMS, but I don't like Go products on principle because they push ads on you all the time. (I've tried Go keyboard, contacts, launcher, and SMS.)

As for the way it looks and even operates, there are sooooo many options and even more themes that you can change every corner of it to be more comfortable or attractive for you. And it's free. I have a fuzzy memory of having to pay for handcent. (?)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Don't third party messenger apps use your data and not your actual sms/mms service?

I don't know. I don't mess with emoticons and stock Messenger does everything I need it to do with a clean minimal UI.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

Last edited:

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I use stock. GoSMS and Handcent have become so bloated at this point that it's overkill. I don't need fancy backgrounds and fonts, I just need to read and send messages.

jamesino

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Does Chomp or GoSMS have a quick compose feature similar to Handcent's where you can long press a button and a quick compose window pops up?

archer23

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I loved SMS popup. But the LED doesn't work well with the S3 and when I read a message it won't recognize that and keeps the little red number on the top right of the icon. All I want is the popup and be able to respond via that popup, I like the stock app.

sherri

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Believe it or not, Verizon SMS. Used them all. Had VZW removed as bloatware. Using FT AOKP JB ROM....

Only Verizon app sends MMS...really quite nice....actually surprised.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

mlewis76

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Handcent. Go sms was sending encrypted messages to ppl that just use the stock messaging. I like the customization of both. U can chance backgrounds, bubbles, fonts, colors. Its extremely cuatomizable...play with it .... have fun

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Don't third party messenger apps use your data and not your actual sms/mms service?

I don't know. I don't mess with emoticons and stock Messenger does everything I need it to do with a clean minimal UI.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

nah well Go Sms anyway uses sms allowance mate.
you can even send pics, voice recordings, doodles etc to another user using sms somehow.. i dont even have an MMS allowance (actualy maybe that part uses data?) but normal text is defo just an sms :)

has anyone else refused the latest Go Sms update?
im gettin sick of their updates adding more bloat and prompting you to buy stuff so im gona keep Go as it is. is there any way to set like an "ignore" list in play store for it to stop prompting you to update certain apps?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)