Dead/fried pixles.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Before i bought my s3,i had the htc one x. It was an awsome phone and all but storage reasons made me switch. 2months with the s3 and i still love this thing as the first day i saw it lol. Anyways,before i decided to get it. I read up on it and read that samsungs amoled displays where prone to get dead or fried pixles. I had an htc evo 3D before the one x or the s3 and never had a dead pixle. (I know its not an amoled) Does anyone's s3 have dead or have a dead pixle.? I use the high brightness when i cant see the screen out in dircet sunlight. And why would the amoled displays be prone or more prone to dead pixles then slcd ips displays like the one x.? Or any other display for that matter.

Sent from my S3:)

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it has something to do with the differing screen technologies. AMOLED has polymers that light themselves up when zapped by a current, while LCD rely on a backlight. As a result, individual polymers could eventually burn out and not shine as bright anymore, or remain lit after being exposed to a current for an extended period of time; whereas LCD has the backlight gradually begin to dim after a while. LCDs tend to last longer. I'm no display expert, so don't quote me on this, but I read this somewhere, just can't remember where. :p

Sent from my HTC One X

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
samsung aparently came out and said theres a problem with screen "burn in" on the s3 and suggested using a low brightness setting.
i think what causes it is white or light colours being constantly on the screen at the same place so borders of web pages are where id guess youd notice it first?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
samsung aparently came out and said theres a problem with screen "burn in" on the s3 and suggested using a low brightness setting.
i think what causes it is white or light colours being constantly on the screen at the same place so borders of web pages are where id guess youd notice it first?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

I saw the burn in once when playing a game,there were ghost like letters on the screen for a little bit lol

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Nope, only device I ever had a dead pixel on was my old psp

I used to use physical buttons, and then I found button savior
-S. T. C

Sent from my rooted, debloated CM10 jelly bean 4.1.2 Samsung Galaxy S3 #LikeABo$$

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
It also happens when the notification bar is constantly visible. I just hid it with Nova :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a dead pixel.. -.-
Edit: Its a group of dead pixles and like 20 other individual pixles around my whole screen. -.-

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I have a dead pixel.. -.-
Edit: Its a group of dead pixles and like 20 other individual pixles around my whole screen. -.-

doh, is it noticable in real use mate?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I have had many displays, never had a pixel issue on either. Is amoled the only screen tech prone to a dead pixel? No, happens to the best of them, and LCD as well. That is technology for ya, lol. Good thing you have a one year manufacture warranty. Now I expect you to use that to the full extent of the law and get back up in here with a ridiculously perfectly awesome screen. How do you live with dead pixels?!:confused:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i think any type of LED are prone to it tbh. its all down to how you use the phone. id imagine people in sunny climates will get it first.
people with LED monitors with a static screensaver will get it, hence animated ones..

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Yup, those are normal among AMOLED displays. Pretty much all of them have that, but to different extents. My S3 had quite a few blotches, and at first I thought it was my eyes because I used for hours at a time, but it turns out I wasn't the only one. I heard it was something to do with the adhesive used on the screen or whatever, not sure.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Yup, those are normal among AMOLED displays. Pretty much all of them have that, but to different extents. My S3 had quite a few blotches, and at first I thought it was my eyes because I used for hours at a time, but it turns out I wasn't the only one. I heard it was something to do with the adhesive used on the screen or whatever, not sure.

So their not dead pixles.?

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Nope. If they were dead pixels they'd stick there no matter what color the screen is, and no matter the light conditions. :)

Thats a relief.! :eek: Im glad I didnt pay $200 for a phone with a doomed display. Lol. Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc