Just switched from iPhone need help

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have found that Facebook sucks on both os's. One thing about Kies is that it will find all you files and I do mean ALL. Problem is it finds all the useless gifs, mpegs, jpegs and everything else that you have to sift through. Won't group though like iPhoto and iTunes, something I miss.

Not sure about FB though, when I installed the app and I signed in everything was right including my friends list.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
No, not people I don't know.... People in my address book that I'm not "friends" with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you go into your sync settings you can sync with FB and in your FB settings within the app you can choose how you want to sync your contacts.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah as brad says. settings, accounts and sync, add account, facebook (bit diff on ICS n JB but youll get it) :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
It is not an impression. Apple writes software to SELL hardware. They are in control of the both the OS and the Hardware, and their developer resources are vast. Their flagship apps have no equal on Android currently. And since they are also in control of the marketplace, they hold third party developers to a published set of interface guidelines. Not to say there isn't junk in the App Store as well, but it is usually prettier, more polished junk (c;

And frankly, the dev tools and OS are quite a bit more polished as well (but Android is starting to catch up), as should be as Apple is in control of everything. It is a shame they have chosen to lock it down so, but it is working for them big time so it is not going to change. In fact, the sandboxed mindset is finding its way into the desktop Mac OS as well, which is really unfortunate for folks who like to get their fingers between the fan blades, although it does have undeniable security advantages.

Google needs to step up in some areas of the core system, IMHO. Things like full device backup and "find my iPhone" require access to files and hardware that should be restricted to the core OS. Yes you can root and hack to get to some of this satisfactorily, but you shouldn't have to as these are features that ever user should have, without having to hack and compromise security.

I use both platforms and am a "fan" of neither as both have pros and cons, but currently the app experience is better on iOS. I am confident that Google will continue to make progress here so long as users support them while still holding their feet to the fire for improvements that are necessary, instead of making light of them solely due to denial or fanboyism. Without user feedback, little will change.

I would disagree with this. I found my app experience to be much better on Android than it was on iOS but that's gonna vary from person to person.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I need a competent database app. Do you know of anything first hand? Something like Bento.

BTW... do you disagree that we need built in full device backup and restore, and a way to track lost/stolen phones?

s3 has built in remote phone controll via your samsung account but full device backup would be a dream :)
does that include app data/settings mate?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. Does it have full control of the hardware if a would be thief shuts down GPS?

Ideally, it should be a full clone of the system, encrypted, directly to a connected computer.

that would be excelent. umm i cant remember name of the samsung site, wouldnt know what to google lol but it has a daft name i think.
think it works the same as Android Lost app/site, can that turn on GPS and work with a changed sim/no data settings?

jmaudi0

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
s3 has built in remote phone controll via your samsung account but full device backup would be a dream :)
does that include app data/settings mate?

can you give some more access on the built ini remote control via samsung account? how do we access this?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
cant think of a search phrase to find it lol.
it defo exists. i used it to make my phone sound an alarm...

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
just tried it. no option to turn on GPS.
is that possible in a switched on iphone with no data connection?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I need a competent database app. Do you know of anything first hand? Something like Bento.

BTW... do you disagree that we need built in full device backup and restore, and a way to track lost/stolen phones?

I use titanium backup and Android lost for finding my phone works great.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I actually use Cerberus as I felt it was the best of these kinds of apps. The problem with ALL of them is that they can not turn on GPS on any Android device running GB 2.3.3 or later unless the device is rooted. Google just doesn't give apps the permission to do this anymore. This is why they need to make this a core feature of Android.

Right. I forgot that you need rooting for titanium and the android lost gps switch. It is another reason to root your phone.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
So are you saying things are fine the way they are? All users should be required to root to get these features?

Definitely not. I think this should be standard. I think HTC has the backup built into Sense 4. I think Google will extend their backup soon. We do need to be a little bit patient to some degree. Rome is still being built.

unlmtdRW

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Right. I forgot that you need rooting for titanium and the android lost gps switch. It is another reason to root your phone.

wait... do you have to be rooted to turn on GPS with android lost??
dont remember reading it in description... :(

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'll agree with Solutions to an extent that the apps on iOS are prettier but the more Apple wants to shun innovation and turn away major players and do it's own thing will hurt them in the long run. Just look at what happened with Maps, piss poor decision on Apple's part. Furthermore the whole lawsuite nonsense will come back and bite Apple in the ass as Samsung has already announced it will be ending it's supply of display componants to Apple.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I looked there. My question I guess was not well stated and maybe I should check on an Apple forum. However I figured there were enough switchers to ask here. My question is not so much how to get pictures onto the phone, I know that. Its how to get pictures OUT of iPhoto in groups. I saw one recommendation about putting my iPhoto library on dropbox (which I have along with google drive and the MS one). My question, before I spent the money to upgrade dropbox to hold all that, is will the phone be able to access the iPhoto library. It's really a database with a long list of unintelligible files.

And therein lies the problem, Apple makes it very difficult to leave their "Ecosystem", kind of like trying to leave "Scientology"; But when you do, a whole new world opens up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000