I am new to the S3 as I have always been a iphone user. So please excuse my silly questions;

When someone text me a picture I go to download it and all it does is stay at 0% spinning. Would anyone know what the issue might be?

I am enjoying the S3 but it sure does take some getting used to...........any tips to make this go easier?
    10-23-2012 05:32 PM
    I am new to the S3 as I have always been a iphone user. So please excuse my silly questions;

When someone text me a picture I go to download it and all it does is stay at 0% spinning. Would anyone know what the issue might be?

I am enjoying the S3 but it sure does take some getting used to...........any tips to make this go easier?
    Try turning off your WiFi and downloading the picture...WiFi for some reason interferes with the data download for picture messages
    funkylogik and geekymcfly like this.
    10-23-2012 05:34 PM
    Thanks that worked............little frustrating but it will do.
    10-23-2012 05:39 PM
    yeah i think thats more of an android thing than an s3 or touchwiz thing mate.
    i have unlimited data but surely downloading an mms comes off your mms allowance and not data allowance?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    10-23-2012 06:05 PM

Try turning off your WiFi and downloading the picture...WiFi for some reason interferes with the data download for picture messages
    Yes, I've had exactly the same issue, and discovered that "solution" on my own. A great example of one of the little things that sometimes drives me crazy, coming from BlackBerry. RIM fell far behind the game, and frustratingly have continued to shoot themselves in the foot. Thus, I find myself with my Galaxy S3 and NOT a BlackBerry for the first time in many years. Love the customization, love the hardware, love the broad availability of apps - but sometimes lament the lack of integration and "polish" of the system as a whole.

Seriously??? If I get a picture on any Android phone I have to turn off WiFi to download the picture?!?!?! That's just insane, frankly! So everyone on Android just puts up with this over a long period of time???
    10-23-2012 06:09 PM
    more and more google seem to expect everyone to have unlimited data... they want us to use cloud storage instead of sd cards, etc.
    i dont know the reason behind mms not working via wifi though (i dont even have wifi OR home broadband lol)
    RIM and apple have their own messaging services though i think(?) whereas we're using the bog standard service our carrier provides.
    ..are dumb-phones the same?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    10-23-2012 06:22 PM
    more and more google seem to expect everyone to have unlimited data... they want us to use cloud storage instead of sd cards, etc.
    i dont know what the reason behind mms not working via wifi though (i dont even have wifi OR home broadband lol)
    RIM and apple have their own messaging services though i think(?) whereas we're using the bog standard service our carrier provides
    I've never had an iPhone, but had MANY BlackBerrys - they would all pop in the photo whether WiFi was on or off, whether carrier radio was on or off - and its using standard carrier data, not RIM servers or anything proprieetary to deliver the MMS.
    10-23-2012 06:25 PM
    This is odd. On my Sprint S3 (and s2 previously) it will just use the wifi to download the picture as well as send one. I notice because Sprint 3g takes about 15 seconds to send a picture but when I'm on Wifi it sends in 2 seconds. Same with downloads.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    10-23-2012 09:07 PM
    It seems to happen randomly though...there are times when I am on Wifi and I am able to download a MMS just fine, but most of the time I just turn off Wifi
    10-23-2012 10:51 PM
    There seems to be some confusion on this point - you don't have to turn WiFi off in order to download an MMS; you just have to have a mobile data connection available. You can have BOTH mobile data and WiFi enabled at the same time - the phone will normally default to using the WiFi connection, but if something happens that requires a mobile data connection then you'll briefly see both icons (WiFi and 4G/3G/1x) in the notification bar. Once the download (or other activity) completes the 4G/3G/1x will go away.
    If you're afraid that you're killing your battery (or data plan) by leaving both enabled, just leave WiFi on and if you need to download an MMS then just turn mobile data on and then off again.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    10-24-2012 10:43 AM
    There seems to be some confusion on this point - you don't have to turn WiFi off in order to download an MMS; you just have to have a mobile data connection available. You can have BOTH mobile data and WiFi enabled at the same time - the phone will normally default to using the WiFi connection, but if something happens that requires a mobile data connection then you'll briefly see both icons (WiFi and 4G/3G/1x) in the notification bar. Once the download (or other activity) completes the 4G/3G/1x will go away.
    If you're afraid that you're killing your battery (or data plan) by leaving both enabled, just leave WiFi on and if you need to download an MMS then just turn mobile data on and then off again.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    Sorry, no confusion. WIth both WiFi and mobile data on and available, if the WiFi is connected (as it always is at home for me), the picture within the MMS won't download, just sits and spins at 0% indefinitely, as noted by the OP. Apparently because if WiFi is connected, it tries to use that for ALL data, including the MMS picture. Only after turning WiFi OFF will the picture download.
    10-24-2012 11:06 AM
    do you use juice defender? i have been going crazy trying to figure it out but if you go to juice defender settings - profile -customize the setting up at the top to the right of status disable mobile data and it will work. i have s3 on att using gosms pics download automatically. hope this helps
    01-10-2013 11:01 AM