New guy with a few questions

shikano53

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,
I live in Central Alberta, Canada and my wife and I are going to upgrade our phones this week. We are with Bell. My wife has an original Galaxy S and I currently have an iphone4.
I also had a Galaxy S but I had so much trouble with the battery that I got fed up, sold it, and purchased the iphone4. Now, I am thinking of switching back to the Samsung Galaxy S3.
I have read a lot of threads about battery issues and Micro SDHC card issues that I just want to ask how many people out there are simply and pefectly happy with their Galaxy S3 as they are and have experienced no problems or issues with either their battery life or any Micro SDHC card they may have installed.

Future Shop has a RetailPlus 32Gig Class 10 Micro SDHC card for $32.00, a CoreMicro 32GB class 4 Micro SDHC for $41.99 and a PNY 32GB class 10 and class 4 Micro SDHC for $49.99 and $69.99 respectively. Does anyone know if any of these cards will work in the Galaxy S3 and should I go with a class 6 instead of a class 4 or 10?

Any advice and/or comments are greatly appreciated.
Kind regards

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You can get a cheap 4600mah extended battery and it will make u a happy man in terms of battery

As for MicroSD cards, I have had no problems with mine and I believe the issues are not too frequent overall with users... U should be good

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351047738517.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351047738517.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 27
Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
You can get an external battery with 8400 mah for like 39.99 on amazon

Unlike an extended battery, an external battery allows you to actually use a case that has protection and that won't easily break

I used to use physical buttons, and then I found button savior
-S. T. C

Sent from my rooted, debloated CM10 jelly bean 4.1.2 Samsung Galaxy S3 #LikeABo$$

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
aparently its only class10 cards the s3 has a problem with so maybe go for a 6 or get a samsung class10, havent heard of them gettin fried.

and yeah im more than happy with the phone.. just dont expect an iphone ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You can get an external battery with 8400 mah for like 39.99 on amazon

Unlike an extended battery, an external battery allows you to actually use a case that has protection and that won't easily break

I used to use physical buttons, and then I found button savior
-S. T. C

Sent from my rooted, debloated CM10 jelly bean 4.1.2 Samsung Galaxy S3 #LikeABo$$

8400mah?!?! Overkillllllllll!

shikano53

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the information. I have another question. I am a bit confused about Android 4.1.2 and Android 4.2 and Jellybean. Are these synonomous terms for the same thing?
Also, if my wife and I pick up two new S III's tomorrow what Android operating system will they have in them?

I'm assuming it will need to be updated right out of the box and will require downloading KIES and attempting to update the firmware. My last experience with Samsung KIES was not a happy experience. That was another reason I switched to the iphone. Firmware upgrades were so easy and smooth. It is also the reason my wife's Galaxy S has never once had a system upgrade because each time it attempted to link with KIES the phone crashed and burned.

Thanks again for your help.
shikano53

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea where people are getting their info from but I have ZERO issues with my battery and Micro SD card!! Nill...zip....null....nada!!!!

shikano53

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea where people are getting their info from but I have ZERO issues with my battery and Micro SD card!! Nill...zip....null....nada!!!!

Thanks GrooveRite. The point I was trying to encourage was to get responses from individuals as yourself as well as the helpful comments from the people who responded. As on most forums people post seeking answers to problems and sometimes I think it weights the evidence in the wrong direction. I am hoping that for the most part, the vast majority of people who own the phone have no issues. As an example, in my family there are 5 people who own Galaxy 'S'-s of one sort or another. I'm the only one who has ever encountered a battery issue, so that would make it a 1:5 ratio. That's an entirely subjective number but I am hoping others on here who have had no issues as yourself would say 'hello' and comment.

Kind regards all
Chris in RD, AB

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
You will be able to get a lot of time out of the phone as long as you turn off the auto brightness and keep the brightness level at a low rate.

Just for your info: Bell and Telus LTE network(they work together) have serious connection issues in BC and Calgary. It sometimes lose connection to the phone and you have to reboot to get it back. Telus told me that they are working on fixing it. All my friends on Telus and Bell LTE network have this issue including HTC phones.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,
I live in Central Alberta, Canada and my wife and I are going to upgrade our phones this week. We are with Bell. My wife has an original Galaxy S and I currently have an iphone4.
I also had a Galaxy S but I had so much trouble with the battery that I got fed up, sold it, and purchased the iphone4. Now, I am thinking of switching back to the Samsung Galaxy S3.
I have read a lot of threads about battery issues and Micro SDHC card issues that I just want to ask how many people out there are simply and pefectly happy with their Galaxy S3 as they are and have experienced no problems or issues with either their battery life or any Micro SDHC card they may have installed.

Future Shop has a RetailPlus 32Gig Class 10 Micro SDHC card for $32.00, a CoreMicro 32GB class 4 Micro SDHC for $41.99 and a PNY 32GB class 10 and class 4 Micro SDHC for $49.99 and $69.99 respectively. Does anyone know if any of these cards will work in the Galaxy S3 and should I go with a class 6 instead of a class 4 or 10?

Any advice and/or comments are greatly appreciated.
Kind regards

Hi Shikano :)

Brand new myself to the GS3; just switched from iPhone on 2 Oct to the Skyrocket; then upgraded to the GS3 on 12 Oct.

I was able to find a 32GB microSDHC [Sandisk Ultra / UHS Speed Class 1 / Class 10 / up to 30 MB/s] for $23.99 @ our local Radio Shack stores. They typically sell for $79.99, or $89.99 (don't remember which) there, but I'm not sure if the sale is still going on. It was a better deal than I could find on Amazon two weeks ago, where the lowest price was $24. -- but just for the standard SD Sandisk, not the Ultra SDHC Sandisk like we found @ Radio Shack on sale.

So far, my wife & I have had no problems with the 32GB microSDHC Sandisk Ultra cards....(knock on plastic). :eek: Then again, it's only been a week. ;)

The battery life seems to be better than the Skyrocket was, but it all depends on usage of course, which is hard to really compare. It's actually better battery performance than my iPhone was getting over the last year; my iPhones' battery was 3 yrs. old though.

See post #53 at . .
http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/208965-where-cheapest-place-buy-t-gs3-3.html

and post #89 & #92 at . .
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...thing-you-dislike-about-your-galaxy-s3-4.html
. . where I wrote:
"With regards to battery life. . . it seems to be getting better; I just got 2 days (mon.&tues,) after a sunday nite charge, and pretty light use the last two days. This morning, after 5+ hours, I'm still at 96% with hardly any use except for a few calls, some emailing and the WiFi being on the whole time. Moreover, I keep locations off, syncing off, and all email syncing off (set to never), so it only sync's when I manually have it do so."

Best Wishes,
Jack

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Have had my GS3 since launch and no signs of battery issues, scratches or anything else.

I installed a Samsung class 10 32GB sd card which was on sale when I bought it for $29.99 US and have no issues with it.
Just keep in mind that the people that complain about issues on this forum and others are usually a small minority to the overall user base of the S3 in general. 100 people on this forum may have battery issues, but there are millions out there that do not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the information. I have another question. I am a bit confused about Android 4.1.2 and Android 4.2 and Jellybean. Are these synonomous terms for the same thing?
Also, if my wife and I pick up two new S III's tomorrow what Android operating system will they have in them?

I'm assuming it will need to be updated right out of the box and will require downloading KIES and attempting to update the firmware. My last experience with Samsung KIES was not a happy experience. That was another reason I switched to the iphone. Firmware upgrades were so easy and smooth. It is also the reason my wife's Galaxy S has never once had a system upgrade because each time it attempted to link with KIES the phone crashed and burned.

Thanks again for your help.
shikano53
android 4.2 isnt released yet mate. its 4.1 youre thinkin of but you wont get that in north america for a while :(
your s3 will come with 4.0.4 (ice cream sandwich) and will eventualy get 4.1.1 (jellybean)
yeah Kies is a terrible bit of software but id check for minor updates you should have.. who knows how long the phones have been in their boxes for..

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
android 4.2 isnt released yet mate. its 4.1 youre thinkin of but you wont get that in north america for a while :(
your s3 will come with 4.0.4 (ice cream sandwich) and will eventualy get 4.1.1 (jellybean)
yeah Kies is a terrible bit of software but id check for minor updates you should have.. who knows how long the phones have been in their boxes for..

Well unless you're on sprint

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith