keeping WIFI on?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I get no appreciable drain from WiFi whether I'm on a wifi network or not. I leave mine on all the time. I do turn off GPS when I don't use it. The GPS itself doesn't use much, but I've found that Google Maps launches itself and starts eating battery when the GPS is on. If I turn off GPS, I have no random Maps activity. It's not a huge drain, but it could add up to 10% extra drain during a normal work day. Your mileage - or your kilometerage in your case :D - may vary, so you should just try out various settings and see if there is any difference in battery drain. A lot is going to depend on signal strength. If you have a strong data or wifi signal, it chews less battery. If you have a weak signal, it destroys your battery life.

lol thanks but one strange thing about the UK is although we talk about litres, centimeteres, 24hour clock etc, we still talk in miles and MPH lol and when in the pub its a PINT of lager lol not 563ml or whatever lol :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
How are your speed because I do have sprint which is unlimited

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

i get between 3 and 7 mb/s lately which is fine for browsing/streaming.. bad for downloading big files lol :)
?15 (google now just told me thats $24 lol) gets me unlimited data, 3000sms and 300mins (i hate talking on phone so dont use much of them lol.
plus i can change carrier at any time if i find a better deal :)
4g is rolling out in UK so i wonder if theyl start gettin greedy? id happy stick with hspa+ and if more people move to 4g (LTE) then it should free up my network and make it faster :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
i get between 3 and 7 mb/s lately which is fine for browsing/streaming.. bad for downloading big files lol :)
?15 (google now just told me thats $24 lol) gets me unlimited data, 3000sms and 300mins (i hate talking on phone so dont use much of them lol.
plus i can change carrier at any time if i find a better deal :)
4g is rolling out in UK so i wonder if theyl start gettin greedy? id happy stick with hspa+ and if more people move to 4g (LTE) then it should free up my network and make it faster :)

Wow that's the deal of the century over here I pay for my phone and the wifes at 185$ and barely get 1mbps if only carriers were that cheap here

HavnFunHere

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the same deal. We have 2 Galaxy S-III with unlimited everything as well. Phone and Text and unlimited Data at $140.00+ tax a month. Best deal I have found in the USA. :) And I am getting a steady 20gbps down everywhere I go here in Atlanta, Ga. I am on the T-Mobile network. Sprint nor AT&T can touch T-Mobile's D/L speeds. Getting 3.6 gbps upload speeds constantly as well.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
without wanting to patronise, if more people in the US buy their unlocked handset, put a pre-pay sim in it and be free to pick and choose their carrier month to month, take the power away from the big dinosaur carriers, prices would plummet. i know its hard because you get subsidised phones but if you cut that cord... youre free :)
its also more complex in the US due to different frequencies etc i know... i dont envy you :(

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
without wanting to patronise, if more people in the US buy their unlocked handset, put a pre-pay sim in it and be free to pick and choose their carrier month to month, take the power away from the big dinosaur carriers, prices would plummet. i know its hard because you get subsidised phones but if you cut that cord... youre free :)
its also more complex in the US due to different frequencies etc i know... i dont envy you :(

With most prepaid carriers you don't get LTE speeds or very good coverage so that's why carriers still reign supreme which is stressful

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i see your dilema mate but is 4g really so important?
i bet you wouldnt notice a difference between our phones when browsing or streaming.
only time youll notice that extra juice is downloading movies (i just do it while i sleep lol)
seriously, the US carriers are making a huge profit margin because theres not enough competition and they work in a cultish way, rebranding phones drasticly etc. the s3 must be a breath of fresh air to the US as its basicly the same phone everywhere :)

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Once you've had it yes lol but I do t really care about 50mbps speeds I would be fine with 15mbps while I'm at work or at home I have WiFi so I dont notice it but if I'm out the speeds I get make it frustrating to just check movie times do a simple Google search etc if all prepaid companies provided 4glte a lot of people would leave carriers behind but that doesn't look its going to happen lol

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
its beginning to happen in UK, as i said though, no pricing has even been suggested lol. as long as it takes the load off the 3g network i should be back to gettin speeds of >10mb/s :)

damo

#teamandroid
May 25, 2011
Visit site
I use juicedefender ultimate, it only uses WiFi when necessary and gives me MUCH better battery performance

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I use juicedefender ultimate, it only uses WiFi when necessary and gives me MUCH better battery performance

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

with JB, google Now wants wifi turned on for best performance so ive had it on and it uses at most 0.1% battery :)

thinkin of usin that Green something battery app though to switch off mobile data while screen is off except for whitelisted apps like music streaming etc :)