Google Now: help, tips

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
wow. maybe i should try US or ASTRALIAN setting.... my accent is as far from "the queens english" as u can get lol :)

I work in the US for a company that has a major office in Nottingham UK, We have a chap from Scotland who works there. We have a employee whose last name is Cook, but this chap pronounces it Kook. I chuckle every time he does it. On the other hand if i am on hands free in the car and he is talking, I have to keep my wife out of the car, she swoons for his voice.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I work in the US for a company that has a major office in Nottingham UK, We have a chap from Scotland who works there. We have a employee whose last name is Cook, but this chap pronounces it Kook. I chuckle every time he does it. On the other hand if i am on hands free in the car and he is talking, I have to keep my wife out of the car, she swoons for his voice.

lol ma accent, although very rugged and abrupt (when i lived in south england for 2years i could say "hello" and it sounded like a threat to them) i dont have the put-on Ewan McGreggor (starwars) sexy accent lol :)
the girls in England liked it but the guys just wanted to fight :)

p.s, ask the scot to pronounce "worm" as in "earthworm" lol... we say it "wirr-im" :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Ok done that. I pressed the g and it goes back to my home screen

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

in home screen, long press the left capacitive key mate same as we used to do for google search and it brings up google Now :)
what ive done for a Now voice input is download "custom ics search" widget, when you go to add it, make the box and "google" word transparent and make the microphone whatever colour suits your screen, long press it when uve added it and resize as small as possible. then u have a direct siri-like shortcut to talk to it. ask it "whats the weather" and it knows where you are and speaks the reply

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
lol ma accent, although very rugged and abrupt (when i lived in south england for 2years i could say "hello" and it sounded like a threat to them) i dont have the put-on Ewan McGreggor (starwars) sexy accent lol :)
the girls in England liked it but the guys just wanted to fight :)

p.s, ask the scot to pronounce "worm" as in "earthworm" lol... we say it "wirr-im" :)

I will see Barry next week, I will ask him to pronounce Worm! LOL

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
just got it lastnight so got some questions.. i usualy have Maps disabled but Now seems to want it enabled?
aparently Now talks to you, id never use voice input but why isnt it talking to me?
in the guide it says it learns by what you ask it but does that include text input?
(im scottish and it wont understand me) :)
thanx

Its only gonna enable your GPS upon your permission it will still give u directions even when GPS is off and on the talking back issue it only talks back upon certain questions

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
lol brer i hate to say it but like everyone says its an anticlimax so far.

crazy thing is its the voice recognition (something i didnt care about) thats impressed me most :)
i still dont understand expanding notifications.....?
none of mine have changed exept that you can long press to go to the app in app manager....

Certain apps like power amp gmail Google music has notifications that u can expand

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351307940243.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351307940243.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 35
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351307949711.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351307949711.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 34

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah now ive learned its a two finger swype that expands them i love them mate :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I will see Barry next week, I will ask him to pronounce Worm! LOL

where in scotland is he from btw? for a nation of 7m people we have like 100 different dialects lol.
im from south-west Glasgow :)

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Right how do you use it. When I long press the home button I see the g but when I press it,it takes me back to my home screen.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
nah mate. long press MENU, soft button at left of home and it should take you to Now, itl give u a search bar and probably show u the weather.
pres the mike and ask "whats 50 devided by 9" :)

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
How long you press it for? I been here for a while now and nothing happens. Is there a help guide or anything?

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
When I press the left soft button I just get what I had on ICS. I press the search button and it doesn't do anything. Saying this I have my maps voice etc disabled.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
so it just gives you normal google search?
you sure youre on 4.1.1 mate??
the screen should look kinda like mine above no matter what you have turned on m8..

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok it was because Google search was disabled. I have enabled it now. So the left menu button works. I will have to turn maps on etc

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Ok it was because Google search was disabled. I have enabled it now. So the left menu button works. I will have to turn maps on etc

lol cool :) theres an update for google search today... it seems gsearch and Now are intwined.
p.s, does Now give you local search (installed apps, contacts etc) when you type into it or does that ban still apply in US?

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
where in scotland is he from btw? for a nation of 7m people we have like 100 different dialects lol.
im from south-west Glasgow :)

Don't know, but I will ask him

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

U only have to turn GPS on when u want to Google now does the rest so u don't have to constantly run the gps and drain battery