Google Now: help, tips

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
just got it lastnight so got some questions.. i usualy have Maps disabled but Now seems to want it enabled?
aparently Now talks to you, id never use voice input but why isnt it talking to me?
in the guide it says it learns by what you ask it but does that include text input?
(im scottish and it wont understand me) :)
thanx

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Well funkylogik I'm glad you finally got your update, I know that you have been VERY eager to get it. :) I have been using it for a while with my Nexus 7 an with flashing various roms for my S3 and I have NEVER heard it talk back to me. It does learn by google searches via the web. The "cards" are pretty neat. It learns your work location (it will tell you commute times with traffic), local weather, favorite sports teams & scores, but like I said I haven't ever had a "Siri like experience," which doesn't bother me.

Edit: I did ask "what is the weather" and it said my local weather out loud. So I am sure that there are a basic set of questions that it will speak responses to. I'm sure that a google search will turn up something. 70 things to try with Google's Android 4.1 Voice Search | ITworld

Enjoy your Jellybean'd S3. I will flash back to stock once the update comes through for me (T-Mobile USA) to check it out.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
thanks mate. its actualy the best voice rec' ive tried including siri. i asked it with my voice "what is twenty uk pounds in us dollars and it spoke the answer.
its reliable enough that i made a voice shortcut!
kudos google :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
wish there was a thumb up/down system to teach it when its wrong with voice.
can an american please see if it recignises the word "metres" please?
no matter what accent we use, it just wont get it lol....

mctl

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Tried it with my french accent on the US english language pack and sure enough, it answered back with up to 7 decimals!
2012-10-25 22.27.22.png

Doesn't talk back to me when I use the french pack though, it always opens a Google search page :(

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
wow. maybe i should try US or ASTRALIAN setting.... my accent is as far from "the queens english" as u can get lol :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
infact youre psycic because thats the EXACT question i was asking it lol... 20metres!!! :eek:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
ahh i changed it from english uk to english generic and it got it perfect :)
and spoke it with all the decimals lol :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
lol brer i hate to say it but like everyone says its an anticlimax so far.

crazy thing is its the voice recognition (something i didnt care about) thats impressed me most :)
i still dont understand expanding notifications.....?
none of mine have changed exept that you can long press to go to the app in app manager....

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
lol brer i hate to say it but like everyone says its an anticlimax so far.

crazy thing is its the voice recognition (something i didnt care about) thats impressed me most :)
none of mine have changed exept that you can long press to go to the app in app manager....

Yeah the voice recognition is good, expanding notifications just let's you view the whole message instead of a small preview like on ics. I did enjoy jb.

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
so do u just tap it mate? :)

..and why "did"?

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
so do u just tap it mate? :)

..and why "did"?

You just drag it down and I was coming out of a tattoo shop last week and I (well I suffer from ptsd) and thought I saw something from the corner of my eye and tossed my phone into the air on accident and had to get the phone replaced.

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

It will only work with some notifications. If you miss a call, do a 2 finger swipe down and it will give you the option to call them back or send a text. If you get a gmail do a 2 finger swipe down and you will expand the email. Use 2 fingers and "pull" the notification down.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
It will only work with some notifications. If you miss a call, do a 2 finger swipe down and it will give you the option to call them back or send a text. If you get a gmail do a 2 finger swipe down and you will expand the email. Use 2 fingers and "pull" the notification down.

That's funny bc it displayed full when I just pulled it down

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
You just drag it down and I was coming out of a tattoo shop last week and I (well I suffer from ptsd) and thought I saw something from the corner of my eye and tossed my phone into the air on accident and had to get the phone replaced.

unlucky man :(

oh yeah, 2 fingers worked :)
cheers

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
unlucky man :(

oh yeah, 2 fingers worked :)
cheers

Yeah it sucks

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Google now? Wtf is this

long press menu mate :)
it suggests you keep wifi on even when not connected.
read the guide, aparently it wants maps enabled too.
try asking voice the weather (dont tell it where you are) or asking what 29 UK pounds is in US dollars :)