Scratches in 48 hours! Pretty sure there's some defective Gorilla Glass 2 out there.

stryguy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
So I got my first S3 - 2 weeks ago. I had a Droid X and a Droid X2 before that and I my wife has an Iphone 4s *puke*. Anyway.. I've never put a screen protector on any of those and had the Droid X for almost 2 years.

Within 48 hours my S3 had a scratch on the screen. No drop occurred, it was merely in my pocket with my car keys. Done the same thing with my Droid X and Iphone 4S for quite some time now, neither ever had a scratch. I took it back to the Verizon store and they gave me a replacement. The sales manager and I were talking and he's seen quite a few angry customers with scratched screens. So out of curiosity he rubbed his car keys on the screen of the one I returned and sure enough, there were scratches. They are super fine but you can feel them with your finger nail. We tried the same thing to the phone I was getting as a replacement and no scratches at all. He was even more vigorous trying to scratch the new phone and still, nothing.

I bought a screen protector anyway.

I have no doubt the screen on the phone I had was defective. When I got home I snagged my old Droid X from my son's room and tried my car keys on the screen, not a scratch.

Anyway, Love the phone just wish I didn't have this experience with it because now I treat it with kid gloves.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i feel like a broken record ive said this so much lol but i believe theres a good and bad batch of glass.
my 5month old s3 has a naked screen with zero scratches yet a LOT are scratching badly.
really wish a mod would set up a survey of who has scratches through normal use and who doesnt, what carrier theyre on and what area they live in....

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Why are you putting your phone in your pocket with things like your keys???

Gorilla Glass resists scratches but it's not scratch proof!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Why are you putting your phone in your pocket with things like your keys???

Gorilla Glass resists scratches but it's not scratch proof!

oops i just scanned the op, missed that bit mate lol.
my left pocket is for phone.... end of!
its been a 13year habit lol :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Sorry OP, not to be mean, but that's kind of like saying, "I rubbed sandpaper on my screen and now it's scratched everywhere!"

But it's okay, we all make mistakes. Just don't leave your S3 with anything dangerous in the pocket. :)

Sent from my HTC One X

stryguy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Response received so far? "I'm going to seem cool by telling this guy he shouldn't put his phone in his pocket with his keys".

Read the post.. Not only have I done this same thing with other phones for years but also in some simple testing one screen scratched up like a mofo while the other screen didn't have a single scratch. This isn't about where I should keep my phone.. It's that there's a batch of bad glass out there.

I'm sure more of you will chime in though with their advice.. I didn't ask for advice, I'm pointing out.. bad glass in some phones.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
lol sorry man.
theres multiple threads on here about it and im convinced theres a bad batch. i throw mine around, it has dents in the faux-metal and scratches all over the back but glass is flawless.
this is why i think we need a survey.
its mostly the US variants affected..
..ps read my 1st reply lol! ;)

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
It is not about the glass in general, but about what is touching the screen. Corning never has said the glass is scratch proof, just scratch resistant under normal use.

I am a Locksmith by trade, so I know that keys in general, depending on the newness, can be as sharp as a blade or as dull as butter. Corning has shown that their glass, like other types of glass are able to be easily scratched by items with a knife like edge.

I used to carry my two phones in my pocket with the front of one touching the back of the case of the other. Nothing else in my pocket. One day, I pull the phones out to notice a 1/4 inch scratch on the gorilla glass and rack my brain to figure out how it happened. Then I look at the back of the case from the other phone and lo and behold, I see a small speck of something embedded in the case. It was a speck of a piece of brass, sticking out just enough to feel when I ran my finger over it.

I had learned my lesson and now carry them back to back in my pocket.

Note2 or Note10, that is the question

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
people ARE having very different experiences with the glass though mate..
have a search through this forum alone..

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Response received so far? "I'm going to seem cool by telling this guy he shouldn't put his phone in his pocket with his keys".

Read the post.. Not only have I done this same thing with other phones for years but also in some simple testing one screen scratched up like a mofo while the other screen didn't have a single scratch. This isn't about where I should keep my phone.. It's that there's a batch of bad glass out there.

I'm sure more of you will chime in though with their advice.. I didn't ask for advice, I'm pointing out.. bad glass in some phones.

Don't post to a forum if you don't want opinions. Forums allow people to comment, help, or even criticize. You can't post and then get mad that people respond with their opinions lol...

Gorilla glass or not I keep my phone separate from anything and therefore phone is flawless. If you think it's a bad batch then go to the store you got it from for an exchange or call samsung for one. No one else can really help you out with it except one of those 2 places.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
This is interesting and a lil different than the normal OMG my screen is scratched threads.

There might be some screens out there that are not up to Gorilla Glass standards. Might be a glass thickness issue? Some screens dont have some material thats needed? Dont really know.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Just pointing out an obvious to the op; keys and phone inna pocket aint a smart idea and even so corning never said gorrila glass was scratch proof. Its a common misconseption amongst people who never had a gorrila glass phone. Ive had. Htc evo, evo 3d, motorola photon, htc one x, and now my s3. On all ive used a screen peotector. I did not give one crap about what kind of glass it had, screen protector=no scratches on your glass. And you can easily replace them. Just saying friend. :p

Sent from my S3:)

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Yea.....my first smartphone had a resistive screen....so learned real quick about keys and whatnot in the same pocket as my phone...lol.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

The glass is not defective.

Madness87

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
So I got my first S3 - 2 weeks ago. I had a Droid X and a Droid X2 before that and I my wife has an Iphone 4s *puke*. Anyway.. I've never put a screen protector on any of those and had the Droid X for almost 2 years.

Within 48 hours my S3 had a scratch on the screen. No drop occurred, it was merely in my pocket with my car keys. Done the same thing with my Droid X and Iphone 4S for quite some time now, neither ever had a scratch. I took it back to the Verizon store and they gave me a replacement. The sales manager and I were talking and he's seen quite a few angry customers with scratched screens. So out of curiosity he rubbed his car keys on the screen of the one I returned and sure enough, there were scratches. They are super fine but you can feel them with your finger nail. We tried the same thing to the phone I was getting as a replacement and no scratches at all. He was even more vigorous trying to scratch the new phone and still, nothing.

I bought a screen protector anyway.

I have no doubt the screen on the phone I had was defective. When I got home I snagged my old Droid X from my son's room and tried my car keys on the screen, not a scratch.

Anyway, Love the phone just wish I didn't have this experience with it because now I treat it with kid gloves.

Irrelevant. Your previous phones were not the Galaxy S3 so it does not matter if they couldn't be scratched. Yes this is Gorilla Glass 2 but it's also o, the largest and thinnest screen on the market. There is no other phone out there with a 4.8" LED screen.

Corning has never stated that it's glass is scratch proof and most evidence is anecdotal and not comparable. I can drop my phone from two stories up and it can be fine but if my friend does it, his can shatter.

Also no need to be abrasive to other posters as well. It's not our fault you don't have the foresight to out a screen protector on your expensive phone, especially since no one claimed it is scratch proof. Who cares if you could put your keys with your DROID phones and not scratch them? The point is when you did it with your GS3 it scratched.

There is no such thing as manufacturing being 100% identical. Some people have screens with lower brightness, yellow tint, some have phones with squeaky back covers etc.

What I don't understand is how you were able to get a new phone when it was your fault it got damaged? Please show me one site, one article, any inclination where Samsung and Corning have stated this phone is scratch proof and that you are allowed to put it with metal keys and not have it get scratched...

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
The glass is not defective.

how do you know this mate?
how do you explain people having such differing experiences with it?
even the experience the op had in the store.....

minnick

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Irrelevant. Your previous phones were not the Galaxy S3 so it does not matter if they couldn't be scratched. Yes this is Gorilla Glass 2 but it's also o, the largest and thinnest screen on the market. There is no other phone out there with a 4.8" LED screen.

Corning has never stated that it's glass is scratch proof and most evidence is anecdotal and not comparable. I can drop my phone from two stories up and it can be fine but if my friend does it, his can shatter.

Also no need to be abrasive to other posters as well. It's not our fault you don't have the foresight to out a screen protector on your expensive phone, especially since no one claimed it is scratch proof. Who cares if you could put your keys with your DROID phones and not scratch them? The point is when you did it with your GS3 it scratched.

There is no such thing as manufacturing being 100% identical. Some people have screens with lower brightness, yellow tint, some have phones with squeaky back covers etc.

What I don't understand is how you were able to get a new phone when it was your fault it got damaged? Please show me one site, one article, any inclination where Samsung and Corning have stated this phone is scratch proof and that you are allowed to put it with metal keys and not have it get scratched...

I have to agree here. How the hell did the store replace your phone after you scratched it with keys in your pocket?!

It's really simple, if scratches will bother you don't heighten your phones exposure to them by putting crap in your pocket next to your phone that has the ability to scratch it. I can understand you being a bit disappointed if you had snuggles the teddy bear together in your pocket with the phone and it scratched but keys? How is it surprising that it scratched?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
everyone seems to be missing the point lol.
the 1st phone scratched easily, the 2nd phone didnt :)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
how do you know this mate?
how do you explain people having such differing experiences with it?
even the experience the op had in the store.....

No idea. The glass is not defective, however. That one scratches more easily than another doesn't prove anything.