Scratches in 48 hours! Pretty sure there's some defective Gorilla Glass 2 out there.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
imo it does mate.
the glass should be made to a standard and replaced free if it doesnt meet that standard :thumbup:?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
imo it does mate.
the glass should be made to a standard and replaced free if it doesnt meet that standard :thumbup:?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

All of the glass will be made to a standard. I am sure that Corning is being held to specifications set by their engineers for glass hardness and thickness. Lawsuits would abound in our good old USA if their product didn't meet them.

So this would have to lead to the conclusion that all of the glass on Galaxy S3 devices should be equally comparable on specification of thickness and hardness. This would also mean that the surface of the glass should be uniformly equal across Samsung's total production line of Galaxy S3 devices.

So in theory, one phone should scratch just as easily as the next. The only differing factors would be the instrument used to scratch and pressure and angle of said instrument on the glass.

Note2 or Note10, that is the question

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
in theory mate but by reading several threads in the forum, it doesnt seem to be in practice :(

maybe the mad s3-fever caused a rush?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
in theory mate but by reading several threads in the forum, it doesnt seem to be in practice :(

maybe the mad s3-fever caused a rush?

No. As he said, the glass will all meet the standards of Corning or it wouldn't make it into a final product. Given that, the issue is with the consumer, not the product.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
The sales manager and I were talking and he's seen quite a few angry customers with scratched screens. So out of curiosity he rubbed his car keys on the screen of the one I returned and sure enough, there were scratches. They are super fine but you can feel them with your finger nail. We tried the same thing to the phone I was getting as a replacement and no scratches at all. He was even more vigorous trying to scratch the new phone and still, nothing.

I'm sorry...but that points to a defective screen on that particular phone. Or an above average screen for the replacement. The issue is not the consumer. As I said before...this is a lil different than "OMG my screen is scratched...." Perfect example....my Maxx HD has no black splotches. My RAZR from last year does. My PS Vita has them bad.

Unless once Gorilla Glass gets a scratch, scratches start showing up left n right. I know thats not the case from using a Droid 1, Droid X1, G Nex, Rezound over the past 2 years.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry...but that points to a defective screen on that particular phone. Or an above average screen for the replacement. The issue is not the consumer. As I said before...this is a lil different than "OMG my screen is scratched...." Perfect example....my Maxx HD has no black splotches. My RAZR from last year does. My PS Vita has them bad.

Unless once Gorilla Glass gets a scratch, scratches start showing up left n right. I know thats not the case from using a Droid 1, Droid X1, G Nex, Rezound over the past 2 years.

No, it isn't. We have no idea how the Verizon employee scratched the screen, how sharp his keys are, etc. As has been said in every 'omg this scratches!' thread before, no two scratches or drops are the same. Even tiny degrees of difference matter. So using the Verizon employee as proof of a defective screen is irrelevant and does not support the conclusion.

stryguy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Picture this setting. The manager takes my phone (white) and his house key and rubs it back and forth about 10-15 times. Close inspection reveals about 4 scratches in addition to the one scratch I inadvertently added.

He takes my new phone (blue) and does the same thing. No scratches. He then drags the key HARD against it, like trying to dig into the glass.. nothing.

When I get home I try the same thing with my old Droid X and my house key.. Dragging it hard, pressing hard against the glass.. There was a mark but it rubbed out with some spit and my finger.

To the mindless drones that claim "meet corning standards". I mean we all know there's never been recalls, never in the history of the world have a manufacturer released substandard materials right? Corning is the parent company of Dow Corning who had to settle a 4.5 billion (yes BILLION) dollar lawsuit for manufacturing breast implants they knew were bad and were actually killing people. No way could they ever produce a bad batch of gorilla glass though, right? Totally impossible. What I saw must have just been my imagination.

BTW.. No one is claiming this is scientific proof that a bad batch of glass is out there. It does give one pause however.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
No, it isn't. We have no idea how the Verizon employee scratched the screen, how sharp his keys are, etc. As has been said in every 'omg this scratches!' thread before, no two scratches or drops are the same. Even tiny degrees of difference matter. So using the Verizon employee as proof of a defective screen is irrelevant and does not support the conclusion.

If he took those same keys and created scratches on the old phone....and couldnt on the new phone....its the phone. Occoms Razor....

I find it hard to believe that he scratches the old phone in a very specific way that couldnt be reproduced on the new phone. Like how some Amoled screens have blue/yellow/green tint and black splotches issues, and some dont.

I think we all know Gorilla Glass isnt scratch proof....but those 2 particular phones had different results. I have been saying this alot lately...all phones arent created equal. I understand what you're saying. One phone can drop on concrete and dont break...another can drop and shatters. Depends on how the phone falls. But if trying to duplicate the scratches it happens with ease one Phone A and doesnt on Phone B.....its the phone.

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
have a search through the "are you going naked" and scratched/cracked glass threads here and youll see a huge difference in experiences.
this is only MY observation but the internationals were released 1st, i got one as soon at it was available.
ill take pics of the dents on my bezel and scratch/grazes on the back but i swear down, my unprotected screen has nothing, not a ball-hair scratch, nothing.
then the US s3 was released, probably in a hurry due to mass demand.. now maybe production has caught up with demand and the newer US s3 are getting better quality glass.
i base this ONLY on reading this and a UK based forum....
is it so unlikely that a rushed batch of glass got used at some point?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
p.s, i doubt colour has anything to do with it unless they get the glass applied in separate places.... id say its to do with the date made :)

stryguy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The blue one the manager gave me is just a temporary one (and will be going to a coworker) and my replacement white one will probably be there today (monday) or tomorrow. Better believe I'm going to ask him to do a scratch test!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah u should mate.

mines a white btw but customised "carbon black" :) uploadfromtaptalk1351492359975.jpg

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
If he took those same keys and created scratches on the old phone....and couldnt on the new phone....its the phone. Occoms Razor....

I find it hard to believe that he scratches the old phone in a very specific way that couldnt be reproduced on the new phone. Like how some Amoled screens have blue/yellow/green tint and black splotches issues, and some dont.

I think we all know Gorilla Glass isnt scratch proof....but those 2 particular phones had different results. I have been saying this alot lately...all phones arent created equal. I understand what you're saying. One phone can drop on concrete and dont break...another can drop and shatters. Depends on how the phone falls. But if trying to duplicate the scratches it happens with ease one Phone A and doesnt on Phone B.....its the phone.

Again, unless the scratches were done in an identical fashion, you cannot compare the two.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
p.s, i doubt colour has anything to do with it unless they get the glass applied in separate places.... id say its to do with the date made :)

I think he was just asking since white phones have more issues (or at least you hear about it more then others). No clue why this is the case but with iPhones and some Android ones you always heard about odd issues with white phones.

Maybe they do it different? No clue... I always figured it was the same but just.. Well white lol :p

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

evq.003

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with Funky on this one. I too believe a large batch of sub-par glass made it on to some phones. I'm sure that there are quality controls in place to ensure the glass meets certain standards before Corning will release it, but there is no way they can test each and every individual glass unit before it ships. QC is merely a numbers game, therefore less than perfect products can (and do) get through the checks.

Check out this example:
My wife, two brothers, two sisters-in-law, and myself all have the SGS3. And all the phones vary by carrier and/or purchase dates. With the exception of my wife, all of us are rockin' the SGS3 case-less. One of my brothers had his phone in his lap while getting out of his car and the phone fell from a height probably no more than 2 feet and the screen shattered (spider web effect on 1/4 to 1/2 of the screen.) Then, one of my sisters-in-law was getting into her car one day and had her hands full so she put some stuff on top of her car including her phone. Needless to say, she forgot her phone on top of her car and drove all the way home from work. When she got home and realized what she had done, she called her phone and much to her surprise a lady answered it, and explained how she found it while walking her dogs only 2 blocks away from my sister-in-law's house. My sister-in-law met the lady to pick up her phone and found the glass to be in perfect condition and only a scratch and small dent on the side where the phone likely made impact when it fell.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I see....so...we can have defective phones....but not defective screens....

lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

defective keys? :)

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
To the OP, I'm confused. You thought that the screen couldn't be scratched right? You even went to get a replacement even tho scratches aren't covered under anything except the 14 day policy, yet you bought a screen protector. Why? You use the argument left and right that your xxx phone lasted y years without a scratch so why bother with a protector now?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2