I am switching from a Bionic to a Verizon S3 and have read about Kies but can not get a lot of details. I use Outlook 2007 and want to know if I can use Kies to wirelessly sync my contacts and calendar in Outlook with my S3.

Any information will be appreciated.
    10-28-2012 12:06 AM
    It is a computer software developed by Samsung to mange your Android devices. It can download firmware upgrades, manage your contacts, settings, apps and many more. It is basically a desktop manager for Android.

To answer your question regrading Outlook sync, yes you can do that, but I think you need to enable Kies Air feature on the phone.

More info: Samsung Kies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    10-28-2012 12:08 AM
    Think of it like this
    Kies is to Samsung as iTunes is to iPhone

With Kies, you can play music, but also back up your phone (contacts, etc.), add music and photos to your phone, and upgrade your phone

The benefit with the Galaxy S3 is that you do not have to use it, as you can transfer music to your phone via USB cable to the computer and drag and drop music to your phone. You do not have to use Kies, its optional really (unlike iPhone where iTunes is required to do anything...eck!)

I never used Kies...I have tried it one time but I never use it ever

If you have contacts you want to sync from Outlook with your phone, you can just export the contacts from iTunes as a ".CSV" file and import them into your Gmail from your coputer, and your contacts will automatically come on your phone once you sign into your account on your phone

Here is how to export your contacts as a CSV file
    How to Export Your Outlook Contacts to a CSV File - About Email

Once you do that and save the CS file somewhere on your computer, go into your Gmail, then click Contacts
    Once your in Contacts, click "More" and then Import...locate the CSV file and your contacts will automatically be attached to your Gmail...so then they will automatically be synced on your phone once you log in
    10-28-2012 12:49 AM
    I have my contacts and calendar in Outlook 2007 and will continue using Outlook in the future so I am not interested in doing an export\import. I want to be able to sync my contacts and calendar on the S3 with my Outlook on an wireless method as I make a change on one side or the other. Is Kies a good program to do this?
    10-28-2012 09:00 AM
    I don't know Kies. When I tried it, I didn't care for it.
    But this may be of interest to you. This works very well for me.
    I run a program called CompanionLink on my PC. That syncs my Outlook contacts and calenders to Google. They then sync to my phone.
    Basically, through the 'cloud'. Make a change one place, and it ends up at the other place, all wireless and automatic.
    10-28-2012 10:33 AM
    Thanks for the info on companionlink but I am really looking for a free app to do the sync. I really don't want to spend $100 (2 phones) to sync my data.

PS: Just in case I decide to use CompnaionLink, do you have any issues with it ? Does it work perfectly?
    10-28-2012 11:15 AM
    Thanks for the info on companionlink but I am really looking for a free app to do the sync. I really don't want to spend $100 (2 phones) to sync my data.

PS: Just in case I decide to use CompnaionLink, do you have any issues with it ? Does it work perfectly?
    Is it that expensive now? Ouch. There are a couple of others out there that are cheaper.

It isn't 'perfect'. It runs 24/7 in the background on my PC. About once a month, if I haven't rebooted the PC, it appears to hang or run very slowly until a reboot. Close to a non-issue, but not perfect.

BTW, research "GO contact sync". That may help.
    10-28-2012 12:16 PM
    Thanks for the response. To sync my Bionic I now use Go Contact Sync and Google Calendar Sync. I also have use One Media to sync and all seems to work with minor issues.
    10-28-2012 12:28 PM
    I recently bought a SG3 and used MyPhoneExplorer to sync my Outlook 2010 to my SG3. It's free and works great. It works via wireless also.

FJ Software Development
    10-28-2012 10:39 PM
    From my previous investigation about MyPhoneExplorer it has a small limit on the the size of the notes that can be included with the contact (I don't remember the limit but it maybe 1040 characters),
    10-28-2012 10:52 PM