Severe, extreme, and amber alerts

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know who issues the alerts that are sent through the text application? I like having them on but I don't get them consistently.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
To toggle: open up Messenger, press Menu, than Settings, scroll down to Emergency Alerts, uncheck everything.

As far as NOT receiving them consistently, isn't that a good thing? Lol
Doesn't sound like an issue, you should be happy your life's not in jeopardy. There's nothing wrong with your device.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351533453858.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351533453858.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 101

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
We're right in the path of the hurricane and I haven't gotten an alert. I don't view that as good. All Weather sites have alerts but the messages app hasn't sent anything.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i didnt even know these existed.
good luck and take care everyone in the path xx

(keep your phone on charge lol)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

evq.003

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
To the OP, I believe in addition to enabling those features on the phone, you also have to sign up/register your phone number on the state and/or county websites and request to be added to such alerts. That's what I had to do for the wild fire here in Colorado Springs this past summer.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
When Chicago had a tornado warning last month I got a message on my phone with a siren notification scared the hell out me thought we was getting one for real

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

pobs123

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
To toggle: open up Messenger, press Menu, than Settings, scroll down to Emergency Alerts, uncheck everything.

As far as NOT receiving them consistently, isn't that a good thing? Lol
Doesn't sound like an issue, you should be happy your life's not in jeopardy. There's nothing wrong with your device.

Interesting that "Presidential Alerts" cannot be disabled.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
guessing this is just a US thing lol?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

WindRunner

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Only certain alerts are included in this program (for now). As far as weather goes, only Tornado warnings (issued directly from the National Weather Service) will be received through this system. Emergency messages from local authorities will also be received as well as Presidential emergency messages. I'm not sure how widespread usage of this features is, but there is an effort amongst the weather community to increase the products that are disseminated in this method. Part of the hesitation is due to the fact that not everyone is going to appreciate receiving them and we have to find a balance between warning for some level of imminent danger vs. annoying people.

More info from:
Wireless Emergency Alerts FAQ - Consumers

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Interesting that "Presidential Alerts" cannot be disabled.

Should there be a catastrophic event that the president deems worthy enough to warn US citizens of directly via their smartphones, I would like to receive said warning Lol.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Should there be a catastrophic event that the president deems worthy enough to warn US citizens of directly via their smartphones, I would like to receive said warning Lol.

+1

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I have received alerts in the past. Just not recently. I just downloaded the weather channel app and enabled alerts.

I also haven't received those messages as of late

I used to use physical buttons, and then I found button savior
-S. T. C

Sent from my rooted, debloated CM10 jelly bean 4.1.2 Samsung Galaxy S3 #LikeABo$$

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
u in the east Chaos mate?
watchin CNN justnow (not my usual news channel choice lol but i doubt RT or Al Jazeera will be covering Sandy much lol)

thatmetaldude

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I live in south jersey and I got all of the alerts , maybe its cause I rooted my phone and put cm10 on it and with the new Google now that's just whatit does

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
fs these VTs on CNN are mental.. u just dont expect something so extreme in NY... (well, extreme nature..)

DeLeonR

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm in nyc and have the Att S3. But do not have this option under the settings in the messaging app. Does anyone have an idea as to why?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm in nyc and have the Att S3. But do not have this option under the settings in the messaging app. Does anyone have an idea as to why?

just look out the window! (sorry bad joke man)